The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has there ever been a chess tournament formatted like this? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Curious if there has ever been a chess tournament (professional or not) where each round required a specific opening to be played.

For example, 5 minutes prior to the start of a each round, an opening is 'drawn from a hat full of openings' and that is the opening that must be played.

Nothing too obscure to be included...unless a list of all possible openings is provided prior to the start of the tourney, so people can at least have an idea of what they'll face.

One problem is that often, what appears to be one opening will sometimes transpose into another opening. Perhaps each game could start a few moves in to ensure the required opening is played.

I've heard of chess tourneys where a the entire tournament focused on a single opening. Just curious if something akin to the above has ever been done? My guess would be 'yes,' but that's a big guess!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There have been tournaments where a limited range of openings has been permitted (e.g. gambit tournaments) but I'm not aware of any where a specific but unknown until gametime or shortly before opening has been required.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
They better stop it anyhow. We can not be having chess tourneys going in this lockdown.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It was a long shot, but I thought I would ask. Lobo, now that you mention it, I do now recall hearing about gambit tournaments - I'd like to look those up.

Thanks ~
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
DANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Not entirely related, but I heard that Bobby Fischer was once pranked by friends who knew he so preferred pK4 opening, they attached glue to the square. Truth or rumor, chess fans? Lynn
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've not heard of it, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Sounds like a good prank!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, lynnef wrote:
Not entirely related, but I heard that Bobby Fischer was once pranked by friends who knew he so preferred pK4 opening, they attached glue to the square. Truth or rumor, chess fans? Lynn

Probably an urban legend, but it was actually (originally, at least) about the beloved queen's pawn of one of the greatest players to never become world champion - Akiba Rubinstein, who preceded Fischer by about half a century (and had different opening preferences, clearly!)

He was especially known for his skill in handling the endgame (particularly rook & pawn endings), and also combinations - he could uncork a brilliancy with the best of them, including Fischer. For a gorgeous and mind-blowing masterpiece of his, check out Rotlevi-Rubinstein:

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119679

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here's another great game from Rubinstein (vs. Capablanca)!

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Are any of you guys into the Fried Liver attack? Is there a way to transform (Not the right word) from the Danish or have an option of either opening ... Asking for a friend!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I don’t believe you can transpose (that’s the word you’re looking for) from the Danish into the Fried Liver because the second move in the Danish is d4, which ruins your shot at the Fried Liver.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Fried Liver is usually associated with the Giuoco Piano or Two Knights Defence openings.

To answer the original question, there have been vast numbers of 'specific opening' tournaments played over the years. One of the biggest series was the so called Rice Tournaments that featured the Rice Gambit, a sub variation of the Kings Gambit. Actually there have been plenty of Kings Gambit Tournaments as well.

There's no point in listing any of them as 'Google is your friend' on this one!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2021, Steven Keyl wrote:
I don’t believe you can transpose (that’s the word you’re looking for) from the Danish into the Fried Liver because the second move in the Danish is d4, which ruins your shot at the Fried Liver.

Could you try opening with the Fried Liver and then transpose into a form of the Danish? Smile
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2021, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2021, Steven Keyl wrote:

Could you try opening with the Fried Liver and then transpose into a form of the Danish? Smile

You are welcome to give up as many pieces as you'd like in a gambit...just don't expect compensation against anyone but wood-pushers.

And to answer the OP, opening-theme tournaments are common and popular at the club level.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, Chessmann wrote:
Here's another great game from Rubinstein (vs. Capablanca)!

Rubinstein beat Alekhine, Capblanca, and (Emanuel) Lasker the first time he played them.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'll have to put up photos from my chess book collection sometime. It's around 3,000 titles if you count bound volumes of magazines.

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2021, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'll have to put up photos from my chess book collection sometime. It's around 3,000 titles if you count bound volumes of magazines.

3,000?!?! Smile Smile Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has there ever been a chess tournament formatted like this? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL