The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MUSIC BOX by Gee Magic (Predict the spectator's THOUGHT OF SONG) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3904 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I'm confused about the difference between the standard version and the premium version. It seems that the music box is a standard music box that plays any song based on the strips of paper used. So, does this mean that you are paying $30 extra for ten more music strips and a little wooden box? If you can get a wooden music box for $15, why not sell the routine for, say $45, $15 for the box and $30 for the cards and handling?
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3904 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I already have one of these music boxes, I wish I could just buy a download of the handlings. I do like some, particularly the last one where the participant picks several songs and when taped together, they play the prediction. I suppose I could figure out the handlings, but I would like to compensate the creator without having to buy a duplicate box. I guess I will just have to use this as inspiration to come up with my own music box routine.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3904 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I didn't see a routine like this on the trailers, but I was thinking that it would be fun to do a routine where you take a couple that has been married for a long time and separate them at opposite sides of the audience. Show different songs on cards to the first person, and they freely pick a song card. Then you show strips with holes in different places to the second person, and they freely pick a strip. The first reveals their selected song and you build up the tension about how after years of being together, a couple will have an undeniable energy between them. You can use a little humor in talking about what if this strip picked "by him", doesn't match the song she picked? Surely it will be his fault. Then you play the strip and it matches. I could see this being a show closer.

A routine like this could also be done close up for just two people at a table. Imagine a similar routine filled with anticipation and humor for a young couple on their first date. Do they have the chemistry? Or should they just call it off now?

OK, I think I have my new routine. I must say, I feel guilty because I hadn't thought of this before seeing this product. I feel like I owe them something. What can I say? I guess THANK YOU.

KJ
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
PropDog have put up a review of the Music Box, he shows what you get in the box.

https://www.propdog.co.uk/blog/propdog-r......c-review
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3364 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
You have to love PropDog. They call it as the see it.

An additional £30 for a wooden box is an outrage -quite aside from the original markup.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2543 Posts

Profile of NeilS
What an honest and refreshing review by PropDog. Well done.
Gustavo Sereno
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Gustavo Sereno
I think its very sad when we see a shop reviewing something without knowing what they are talking. First it comes with 5 routines and not 3. 2 of them are not public, that doesn t mean that they are not there. Second it comes with 25 strips, he said 10. And he didn t mention the special ones that without them 2 of the routines weren t possible to do. I don t care if it is for him or not but the information that he shared must be correct to people. He didn t also mention that this porject was helped by a musician and most of the musics were made with his help. We don t know to much about music but if you know you can probabily make your own musics. The musics were the hardest part of this entire project. We could simply make the musics as a pdf and then you print and cut yourself but that will be a headache. They had to be 100% precise. Just to understand: printing the musics in our printer in our office most of the musics sound badly and terrible, just because of dimensions. And the file has the same dimensions as is print in our grafic sotre. that's way we decided to make sure you receive the musics templates in the right way and conditions.
This is not for sure for everybody, this is not for sure for table hopping as must of you understand why. This is something special, unique and with the right conditions and in the right moment this can be so powerful and memorable.
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
PropDog have filmed a correction. https://youtu.be/0JDR2YPIkqQ

I don't think it changes anything, especially the price difference between the standard and deluxe models.
efrados
View Profile
Regular user
Montevideo, Uruguay
111 Posts

Profile of efrados
Somebody has this? I thought you got 25 strips of paper for performances and also 10 more (Standard) or 20 more (Premium) pre-punched music...
if it's just printed paper (that you can't use) I'd rather get a downloadable pdf and more strips ... if in some performances you make real holes you will have to get more pieces of the music strips paper in short time!

Also the music box is normal? I thought some modification was done... so you just have to do a s***ch? Really don't understand the 2 special strips ... how do they play? I am not trying to fish ... I really want to like this but it's a lot of money for what it is...
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
I do have this, and what can I say...... it is true that it is not for everyone and I did find out that it is not for me. There are two things that I find "not so good", I would have liked to have at least one strip pre-punched professionaly, just to have one where it sounds good. Sound...that is the other one, but I guess this is with all Musicbox of this kind, the handling of the turn is a bit akward, you need to do it with the right speed and the right rhythm and the build of the music box is somehow not fitting my style of turning the handle... but that is me. I do like the ideas behind it and specially the idea with the two special strips is nice. Ah yes, another one, the paper template, once you stamped it, it is difficult to do another one....but then again this is me. I will not use it for the moment, but one never knows, maybe in the future there is a need for this for me Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3904 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I don't own this product, but I have performed the routine I described above several times now, and it was a REALLY NICE variation from my other magic routines. It's not "hard hitting" magic, but I think it is a great way to bring variety into a show. I like things like this that are different. For example, I perform my own version of a butterfly routine that I learned from Jeff McBride. It's not hard hitting magic, but it is EXTREMELY magical in it's own way, and depending upon how you perform it, the music box can also be highly entertaining.

The nice thing about this is you should know whether it fits your style or whether it will work for you before buying it.

I will say that I have found it VERY difficult to find song templates to make my own songs, so for that alone it might be worth the price. My routine doesn't rely on a wide variety of songs. I only have two songs as mine came with one song and the only song I was able to create was "Happy Birthday". I created it by watching a video of someone playing happy birthday and I counted the lines for each note. Not easy.

If anyone knows of a source on the internet for free music box song templates, let me know. I know there are internet programs you can use to create songs, but I don't want to go to that length. I would just like a few templates of some well known songs.

My suggestion for anyone thinking this might be a good addition to their routines is to just buy this as the songs and routines it comes with are worth the price IMO.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MUSIC BOX by Gee Magic (Predict the spectator's THOUGHT OF SONG) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL