The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What are your favorite books that don't focus on cards or coins? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

epsilon97
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of epsilon97
What are your favorite books that don't focus on cards or coins?
Geoff Pfeiffer
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
88 Posts

Profile of Geoff Pfeiffer
I have been reading Darkest Corners of my Mind by Ben Hart. Only half way thru and no cards or coin yet. although the table of contents does Indicate one of two. I love his Incubation illusion, where he changes a piece of confetti into an egg, using a Chinese fan. He performed it on Britain's Got Talent.
Geoff Pfeiffer
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
88 Posts

Profile of Geoff Pfeiffer
Correction, The Darkest Corners by Neil Kelso and Ben Hart.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"The Amateur Magicians Handbook". Althought it has cards and coins, it's focus is VERY broad. It was my favorite book for many years.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
The Trojan Horse Project my Manos/Murray/Rasp
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1525 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I second Chessmann's "Amateur Magician's Handbook", although that was my second magic bible; my first was Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual", which covers magic with a wide variety of objects. Nowadays I'd be recommending the Mark Wilson Complete Course.

When I applied to join The Magic Circle, the interviewer asked me to name my favourite magic book. I said "Thirteen Steps to Mentalism". This was a good choice because he happened to have a few effects in there (under a different name).

I have so many books now that I don't think I'd care to name a favourite. Many of them are on mentalism. The one that's been the most use to me, I think, is Modern Magic Manual. It taught me the Impossible Knot, which has been my party piece for over 50 years.

Barry
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Darkest Corners is a fantastic book of original showpieces. Highly recommended.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6747 Posts

Profile of magicfish
-Bamboozlers by Diamond Jim Tyler
-Ed McMahon's Barside Companion
-Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic by Gardner
-Practical Mental Effects by Annemann
-Scarne's Magic Tricks by Scarne
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
While not "new", I am enjoying Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring Anthology. It is full of parlor/platform routines. Full routines with several different objects, complete with good patter ideas.
Ron Spangler
tschechow
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tschechow
Ganson: The the Art of close up magic vol. 1+2.
Sharktale
View Profile
New user
Ukraine
32 Posts

Profile of Sharktale
- The Approach by Jamie D. Grant.
- Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.
- Artful Mentalism by Bob Cassidy.

And I think, most of you going to hate this answer, but...

- Tarbell's Course in Magic by Harlan Tarbell.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
If you are looking for books of tricks/effects that are mostly without cards or coins, Harpacrown, the Darkest Corner and Morgan & West Parlour Tricks, are all interesting reads. Careneycopia has cards and coins, but also some non-card/coin pieces.
For broader thinking about magic, Maximum Entertainment 2.0, Scripting magic (McCabe), Stronger magic (Ortiz) and the Jerx books are all personal faves. The Books of Wonder are a great mix of theory & effects and Tom Stone has added some really interesting material to some of Mr Wonder's work and has some good stuff himself, such as vortex, which is great.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
50 Posts

Profile of tryphon
I have always loved "My best" by J.G. Thompson. It is an "oldie" that has something for everyone and some of the effects are superb. I also like "The magic Handbook" by Peter Eldin. This is a small book, aimed mainly at youngsters, but it contains some really good tricks. Eldin got into trouble when the book came out because it contains some tricks, like "Out of this world" that usually are not published in inexpensive books aimed at lay audiences. It's easy to find it used online for a couple of bucks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What are your favorite books that don't focus on cards or coins? (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL