The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Ambitious Card Routine in a Book? (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
The 3 best routines are Vernon, Lorayne, Daryl, in that order
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
"Baxter's Ambitious Card" by Ian Baxter was just included in the Lybrary.com newsletter. Don't know anything about it but thought it applies here.

https://www.lybrary.com/baxters-ambitious-card-p-924563.html
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Cy Endfield's - from Cy Endfields Entertaining Card Magic (Part 3).

As Cy says in his book (quote): "many Ambitious Card routines suffer from Double Lift indigestion". Oh how (sadly) very true!

Mark Lewis has also added his excellent, commercial Ambitious Card Routine within his Annotated Royal Road to Card Magic.

Just to add that Harry Lorayne's superb Ultra Move, takes many Ambitious Card Routine to a new level.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
candlestick
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of candlestick
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Maxyedid wrote:

I find the Daryl routine far too long. An interminable 8 minutes or so. I am not overly keen on the rope finish either as it seems to me to be a bit over the top. Still, I wonder if he just devised this interminable presentation to amuse magicians. I bet that when he performed it for laymen (if he ever did) that he would probably have cut down dramatically on all the phases and got the thing over with in about 3 minutes or so.
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
Fred Robinson's ambitious card is perfection. You can find it in The Magic of Fred Robinson.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Quote:
On May 26, 2021, candlestick wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Maxyedid wrote:

I find the Daryl routine far too long. An interminable 8 minutes or so. I am not overly keen on the rope finish either as it seems to me to be a bit over the top. Still, I wonder if he just devised this interminable presentation to amuse magicians. I bet that when he performed it for laymen (if he ever did) that he would probably have cut down dramatically on all the phases and got the thing over with in about 3 minutes or so.

I hear you, but the idea of the routine (at least, how I understand it) is that it’s modular so you are not supposed to perform all the routine all the time. But yes it’s the longest routine I’ve found (I counted 16 phases!).

He did win a FISM price for it though
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
It would seem that when many magicians talk about The Ambitious Card, the only comments are “too short” or “too long” (sounds funny) or “too many phases”.

How many phases a routine has it’s actually two considerations: one, an aesthetic one - if that’s what you want to do artistically speaking or not. If that’s what you want to communicate to the audience or not. The second consideration is a dramatic one: are people enjoying it or bored? So if that’s what you want to do, and people enjoy it - why not? That’s what Daryl did 😀.

As a magician I see those considerations as mostly personal; I’m not particularly interested in that type of choices. When I study the routine I’m mostly interested in the construction: how one phase leads (or prepares) the others, the canceling out of methods, etc. In that sense the Daryl routine is superlative. If it has too many phases or not it’s irrelevant (to me) as I know the routine can be adjusted to my wants/needs.

I don’t know if this makes any sense? 😂 I hope it does 😀👍🏻
candlestick
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of candlestick
[/quote]

He did win a FISM price for it though [/quote]

I do thank you for your respectful and courteous response. There are certain obnoxious posters here who could learn from you! With regard to the fact that Daryl won a FISM prize I have to confess that your remark made me laugh out loud! I have always considered the winning of a magic contest to be a very bad sign! I suspect that if all the judges were laymen he would probably have come in last. They would probably have fallen asleep at around phase number 9!

However, I appreciated the rest of your post and you did make some good points.
candlestick
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of candlestick
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I wonder how many here even know of my ACR;?

I certainly do! In fact I used to perform it regularly! It had a few phases that were similar to the version in Bruce Elliott's version in Classic Secrets of Magic which is what I originally started with but when I came across your version I found that I preferred it and went over to your routine instead. I have always appreciated your contributions to card magic and memory training. Very much indeed in fact. Your name will live on in the annals of magic.
Gennovense
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2021, martyjacobs wrote:
I agree with Ed's recommendation. There's more interaction with the participant in Vernon's routine than there is in most of the contemporary ambitious card sequences I've seen. Here is a good demonstration of the routine as described in Stars of Magic (by a magician called Shanla):

I'd also recommend you pick up a copy of Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus, which has been recently republished by Penguin Magic. This book is written by one of the very best authors in magic (Stephen Minch). It was first released in 1987 and covers much of the material from Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD. For my money, Daryl was the best teacher of this classic. I'd recommend you pick up his DVD along with the book if you can.

Marty

Do you know if the book covers more stuff than the dvd or at least different? I already have owned the dvd for years.
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Another vote for David Regal’s Routine! And...although not written up (per OP’s specifications), David Forrester’s DELORIAN offers some keen moments within the routine. He ends with a card to impossible location that can be modified to fit into any available construct for a strong finish.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
My version of Ambitious Card:

asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
According to max maven, tommy wonder's routine gets standing ovation all the time and I never doubt it. it is that good.

did any of us get a standing ovation from a acr?
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
There are several routines I know that are worth studying.
Vernon's definitely (but see his commentary about it on the Revelations DVD - it adds useful detail on presentation).
Lorayne's. Anything by Lorayne is worth reading.
The version in Classic Secrets of Magic.
The Ambitious Card Omnibus is a great resource.
I'd also echo the recommendation of Fred Robinson's routine. It is a coherent whole, so even if you don't use any aspect of the handling, understanding the thinking behind its construction will enhance your understanding of magic.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Anyone here like Jennings' routine?
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
In my late teens I learnt Vernon's routine from Stars of Magic. A few years later an American TV show was aired on Irish TV and there was Vernon performing his ACR. What amazed me was how humorous it was. The clip of it must still be around somewhere though I don't recall the name of the TV show.

Incidentally Tommy Wonder's routine is structurally based on Vernon's.
darren-uk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of darren-uk
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I wonder how many here even know of my ACR;?

I still use Harry's ACR from The Magic Book.
Darren, UK

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
There are so many really good ACRs, one to come to mind is Jonathan Kamm’s. Maybe not in a book, but it should be. His ACR is as good as any of the best out there. Just beautiful to watch him work it in real time. Amazing card & closeup man. From theory to practice to just perfect…

https://youtu.be/kU-60XXJ5m8

And the best thing is, that once you understand the basics of ACR, to me it’s best to put this & that move together and create your own take on the effect. There’s hundreds of moves to choose from, plus you might have a few of your own. I just make the card come back to the top in just a few different ways (too many ways spoil the soup) before letting the spec cut the deck anywhere they want, only to see that the card jumps right back to the top…Works like Novocain! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
270 Posts

Profile of Zedd
I love David Regal's Puppy Trick....engaging and funny story, audience participation and fun.......
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
No mention of Tamariz work or Gary Kurtz routine from "leading with your head"?!?!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Ambitious Card Routine in a Book? (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL