The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Gypsy Thread (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I would like to learn this effect. Which one would you suggest. There is so many to choose, I'm not a great slight of hand magician
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6429 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I believe I learned the one I've done for decades from a Close Up Cavalcade book. I remember it had a hard cover and was dark blue. I'm assuming you can get a lot out of this DVD: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11333

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
What type of venue and audience arangement; stage, platform, parlor, or close-up? That will determine the type of "thread".

Most versions work on the same principle and method with tweaks for the thread type. I've found the variation using dental floss to be really handy for closeup including strolling. And the consistency (for lack of better word) of floss makes it very easy. So that could potentially be a good starting point.
Topper2
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Lewis Ganson's 'Teach In' series has a monograph covering all the basics of the subject.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1631 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
A quick search yields an extensive list...

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&forum=4
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6429 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've always used basting thread which is easy to snap and comes in a very bright white color.

Many, many, many decades ago, I did some walk around and what I did was cut small pieces from a plastic straw... about an inch in length. I would then make set-ups on each piece so I didn't have to go anywhere to reset. Oh, and you cut a small gash on one edge of the straw so you can shove one end of the thread there so it won't unwind and you know the correct end to start with.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
Greg. I agree with using basting thread. It is thick and breaks easily. I have a spool from years ago, but I cannot seem to find something similar in the fabric stores. Can you suggest a source?
Thanks.
Ron Spangler
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22823 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2021, Rspangl wrote:
Greg. I agree with using basting thread. It is thick and breaks easily. I have a spool from years ago, but I cannot seem to find something similar in the fabric stores. Can you suggest a source?
Thanks.

in the U.S. the thread can be found at any fabric store. The problem is that it is not cotton, and does not brake easily. I can only suggest you inquire at a tailor shop, that makes suits from the beginning. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

IF you do, then please post here and let us all know.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1485 Posts

Profile of JNeal
These are spools for 5.50 each ... or buy 10 spools with a discounted price of 4.95 per spool.

https://www.biasbespoke.com/cart.php?tar......t_id=415
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Muswellgull
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Muswellgull
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
Thank you, Jonathan. For some reason I couldn't find this in a Google search; it shows up now, though. I've ordered a spool.
Ron Spangler
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Candle Wicking yarn is good to use. It is a little harder to break than Basting thread but it works very well.
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
I received my spool of basting thread from biabespoke. Wow, that's a big spool! Really too big to carry around so will offload smaller amounts on to smaller spool. Thread breaks easily but is a little thinner than what I've had for years. It will work just fine for close-up. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ron Spangler
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22823 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Gypsy Thread effect was created and has always been a close-up effect. In the last few years some have taken it as a stand-up effect in smaller group shows, and some have even used cameras for the large stage.

It is basting thread for tailoring clothing, and is easily removed during actual sewing the parts of material together.

All depends on the routine you wish to perform. Use the stings or thread according the instructions.

In my opinion, if you are not using basting thread, then you are not performing the original Gypsy Thread.
Clemens Ilgner
View Profile
New user
Germany
27 Posts

Profile of Clemens Ilgner
Hello,

I hardly recommend the description of the trick in Gene Andersons book. Also his gimmick to prepare the trick is genius. Doug Henning used to perform Gene's version.

Best from cold Germany, Clemens
Clemens Ilgner
View Profile
New user
Germany
27 Posts

Profile of Clemens Ilgner
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Yes, Gypsy Thread effect was created and has always been a close-up effect. In the last few years some have taken it as a stand-up effect in smaller group shows, and some have even used cameras for the large stage.

It is basting thread for tailoring clothing, and is easily removed during actual sewing the parts of material together.

All depends on the routine you wish to perform. Use the stings or thread according the instructions.

In my opinion, if you are not using basting thread, then you are not performing the original Gypsy Thread.

Ted Lesley used to perform the Hindu Thread in big theaters. He asked a spectator with black cloths to sit next to him on stage. The spectator took the single pieces of thread and put it on her knees. I was standing in the last row of a 500 seat theater and could see every single piece of the thread. And since I worked with him a lot I knew that he always used basting thread. I think it is a question of lighting and display of the thread if you want to perform it in bigger venues.

Best, Clemens
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6005 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, Greg Arce wrote:
I believe I learned the one I've done for decades from a Close Up Cavalcade book. I remember it had a hard cover and was dark blue. I'm assuming you can get a lot out of this DVD: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11333

Greg
This may be the book you're referring to"

Close-up Cavalcade (Jerry Mentzer) - “Improved Gypsy Torn & Restored Thread” (Tony Spina), pg 126
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of magic.99

Really? In all due respect, this simply cannot be true. If it is, then what would the rest of the magicians call the trick that they are performing - The New, or possibly, Updated Gypsy Thread?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Gypsy Thread (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL