The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rarest Magic History Book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
What do you think is the rarest magic history book published?

My vote is for the four copies of The Annals of Conjuring specially published by George Johnson. The Annals was originally published serially in The Magic Wand magazine in the 1920's.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
A book written in 1970 called "Old Conjuring Books" written by Trevor H Hall, was only printed 1000 times...I believe this is quite rare (although I have a copy...Not boasting)!
This book details the history of old conjuring books, well to be precise the first ever magic books written in English...This is a great read, worth looking out for!
Of course this is not almost as rare as "The Annals..." but I still consider this book to be rare!
Owen
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Hello again, Daniel. It's great to meet up with a fellow enthusiast in this field. Are you a member of The Magic Circle? If so, perhaps you have attended the annual Colector's Day in London. I've never been to it but hear that it is quite fun.

A couple of thoughts on Hall's Old Conjuring books from a guy who's been collecting for thirty years or so.

I wouldn't really call his OCB rare. If one searches on the internet, one can find about 15 copies avaliable for sale at any given time.

Also, there was a UK edition published in 1972 (not 1970) consisting of 1,000 copies, and a US edition published in the following year (also stated to be an edition of 1000 copies). So, unless the editions combined consisted of only 1000 copies (which I doubt but can't be sure of), chances are there are actually 2000 copies floating around out there.

All that said, it does not detract one iota from the book's utility and desirability.

If you are a relative newcomer to this field, welcome! Please feel free to send me a private message with your e-mail address. I'd be delighted to hear from you.
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 12:57, Clay Shevlin wrote:
What do you think is the rarest magic history book published?

My vote is for the four copies of The Annals of Conjuring specially published by George Johnson. The Annals was originally published serially in The Magic Wand magazine in the 1920's.

That would beat just about anything I can think of. I know of a few books that had only 25 to 50 published. But 4 has to be the record. Now is this a special publication of the book by Sidney Clarke or is this a different author?
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Bob: if you read the first edition of my book, you will read the story. For those of you who don't have it, it was published by George Johnson. The limitation was a result of the paltry response from Johnson's inquiries about subscribers - belive it or not!

One more fun fact, it wasn't until well over a decade later that the fourth copy Johnson had for sale was finally sold. He advertised he last copy for sale on and off for over a decade.
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
I guess I'll have to finish reading that one. It was part of several books I brought home from the Magic Collector's Weekend. So many books, so little time. That also reminds me to look in my own library before asking questions on the net.Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rarest Magic History Book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL