The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Making a Difference (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
So it’s been quite some time since I’ve posted in this space. I hope this finds everyone well in our crazy pandemic world. Anyways...

I thought I’d share something I’ve been playing with for a little bit. It’s a handling variation of Scott Robinson’s “Differences” that was inspired by some work on the plot by my friends Joe Cole and Ryan Bliss. Don’t mind the script as that remains very much in progress. Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/Xfk1zrohjFc
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many things to like here, especially as an opener. One could then go to other coin effects as indicated by observer response.

I like the use of contrast color to enhance the transposition but am not sure about audiences today.

Both a snap purse and coins very seen before may suggest "trick" or "gimmick" from which you can't recover.
I am not familiar with "Differences" so cannot compare. Your handling seems fine,
though there was a bit of flash behind the purse before you put the coins in.

How will it play with Social Distancing? Where to go next? Questions to ponder along with "which effect" to practice.

No matter perhaps - you are doing instead of playing a video game, so I applaud ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2021, funsway wrote:
Many things to like here, especially as an opener. One could then go to other coin effects as indicated by observer response.

I like the use of contrast color to enhance the transposition but am not sure about audiences today.

Both a snap purse and coins very seen before may suggest "trick" or "gimmick" from which you can't recover.
I am not familiar with "Differences" so cannot compare. Your handling seems fine,
though there was a bit of flash behind the purse before you put the coins in.

How will it play with Social Distancing? Where to go next? Questions to ponder along with "which effect" to practice.

No matter perhaps - you are doing instead of playing a video game, so I applaud ...

Thanks. Some good thoughts here.

This is definitely a good opener. It’s relatively quick, direct and to the point. When you mention about not being sure about today’s audience in relation to the contrasting coin, I’m curious what you mean. I don’t necessarily follow. Would love to know/hear more of your thoughts here.

I can agree and disagree with trick/gimmick thought. I don’t think I would do this in an impromptu scenario. I would perform as a set within an act in which case the audience would expect to see the performance. It also requires some table space, which rules out some venues. I’m okay with that. I respectfully disagree about the gimmick piece, but can see why you would mention this in light of the coins used being unfamiliar, possibly. The benefit of the handling allows you to start and end clean if someone pushes to examine the coins. That was a goal I set out for myself. There are also built in subtleties and psychology that hopefully rules out gimmicked coins from the start and throughout.

As for the flash, I had to go back and look. Ironically, the flash is the light off my hand. Not an actual flash, at least if it’s the part I’m thinking you’re mentioning. I had to play it back in slow-motion to really check. It does initially appear that way, so maybe something to be mindful of from an outward perception(?)

Regarding social distancing and where to go, certainly things to think about. I’m hoping when this is actually performed for people that social distancing will be a thing of the past. Alas, one can dream Smile

Thanks for the insights and comments. Definitely things to think about!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Bill Citino wrote:
This is definitely a good opener. It’s relatively quick, direct and to the point. When you mention about not being sure about today’s audience in relation to the contrasting coin, I’m curious what you mean. I don’t necessarily follow. Would love to know/hear more of your thoughts here.

Contrast Bias is psychological quirk that classifies object differently that are dramatically different from those that are about the same.
Coins that are considered the same get a "ho-hum" as far as distraction is concerned, while movement of either the copper of silver of a CS set
get an immediate attention shift that can be distraction or interruption depending on training.
Either the perception of sameness or contrast can be used as ploy in performance magic.

It has been demonstrated that younger age cohorts have dramatically different range of distraction vs interruption triggers,
especially for peripheral areas than older folks. So, whether or not a CS effect causes a puzzle or astonishment reaction
can be different for different age cohorts, especially if it occurs outside of a limited center range.

This Bias is also effected by whether or not the mind is in task or casual mode, which can be influenced by what moves came before the
action with the CS in which contrast plays a part. SInce CSB type effects have many contrast shifts of subtle hue difference,
it is best to have astory line that has younger folk in a task mode (already reasoning ) and performed in the center of vision.
With folks over 60 you can swing you arms all over the place and still get an astonishment reaction.

This is not better/worse judgment. It is just different, probably from observing the world though a smaller port of TV screen
or iPhone. Much of what is claimed as "shorter attention span" may be a factor of interruption processing.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I like this effect a lot
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I liked that a lot too. What kind of copper token was that you were using? I've got some half crowns but haven't really come across a good copper alternative.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Thanks for the feedback and comments all. Much appreciated!

Bassinator - the copper coin is a bronze Canadian One Penny Bank Token. It’s very close to the size of a half crown. It’s about a mm bigger in diameter, but it’s workable. It’s a nice coin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Making a Difference (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL