The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » close-up levitations...thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I posted this elsewhere but thought it should go here too.

-------------------

This is a throw back to another post by Ben Harris on stage levitations, If you do the Balducci, or any other type of closer-up levitation, you would suffer from the same effects that Ben brought up. Ie:your hair, clothes etc. do not float as well. What if you built up a presentation around this premise. That if you really could float, that things on your person, and that occupy the same space should float too. Maybe even nearby objects would be affected in some way. To that end you could do your Balducci lev. and things would float out of your pockets, then fall to the floor as you descend back down. Nearby objects would move or twitch as you did this as though they were on the edge of your weightless circle!

Just an idea. All of which is possible, but maybe not practical.

What do you think? How can this sort of logic be applied to other floating effects that you already do?

Chad Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I like the idea Chad and here's why.

If, say, coins floated out of your pocket and then fell to the floor it would add depth to the illusion.

Trying to follow the coins and the person would be just enough logical attention texture to keep the audience off balance for the moment that they might be considering moving to get a better look.

Even better if it can come off as something you didn't know was going to happen, you create a real moment for your audience. An air of believability. It is on that air which you levitate Smile

Nice thought to throw out.
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
Yes, sounds great, Even if you were just performing a close-up levitation in the hand, it would be very interesting if an object on the table started to move a bit too - unnoticed by you, of course. Which would seem easy enough - you could be taking objects out of your pockets to find the note or whatever you're going to float. I'm sure it could be done without an extra IT, as it would only need to happen peripherally, and maybe just suddenly. Either that or you have a more complicated set-up, and have a full-on double levitation - the second object apparently rising accidentally. It's a great idea, Chad.
(As for your hair levitating during the Balducci effect, there's always the elastic band in the hair trick... would be very funny)
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I really like the idea of other things floating and falling. The falling in particular would be a huge selling pooint in the mind of lay people. Perhaps just using some thread attached in the fearson floating cigarette method would allow you to make an object rise out of the pocket as you perform the trick. for those of you who know the trick the movement could easily be worked into the Balducci method. and the thread could be easily snapped to hand out the item after you pick it up, either that or just pick it up and reset it back in the pocket. I will keep it in mind.
Mat
CoinsFallUp
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
61 Posts

Profile of CoinsFallUp
This sounds like a great idea. However, I really don't care for how the Balducci levitation has been ruinned by it's vast exposure. But the general concept of integrating and expanding magic tricks is a great idea!
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
How about a small ring floating up a making a pass around the "floating" object.

Just a thought.
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I tried a levitation recently that I was told about. Can't remember what it was called, but I ruined a good pair of shoes!

Little tip: If you are thinking of making your own lev gimmick, make sure you know what you're doing first, unlike me!!!

Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
What if you don't have hair? Seriously, tho, you have to be kinda fast if you are going to make other items float during the Balducci, since people will start looking and moving around pretty quickly. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I still say that, although angly, King's Rising is still the best impromptu levitation out there. I love Chadmagic's thinking though, about having other objects float, not as a trick but as incidental events. Kind of like your floating ability "rubbing off" on other things. Like a salt shaker tipping over 2 minutes after you do salt pour. Great magical thinking!
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I think it would be hair raising.

(drum roll, cymbal crash, yawn)

Smile Smile Smile Smile

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » close-up levitations...thoughts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL