We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » So "Street Magic" is.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
...anything David Blaine has done on a TV special?!?

Or so it would appear from this forum. What is specifically "street" about Balducci or Healed and Sealed or the Twisting Arm Illusion? What is more "street" about them than any other piece of closeup magic?

I've seem real street performers and they usually do cups and balls, 3 card monte, linking rings, 3 shell game, card tricks or hopefully something quite original.

What's with the blaine obsession?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's my take on the Blaine obsession.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Blaine fan but I'm always glad when people like magic. So, my hat's off.

Here's the lo-down...

The public finally sees a magician on TV that is not broadcast to them as a geek. I worded this carefully because even some magicians that are not geeks come across that way on TV. I don't think it's the fault of the magician in every case.

Then, like me, the spectator is not embarrassed to watch the show (special).

Add to that, magic is a very cool thing to know how to do.

Since Blaine is not "performing at you" but just jibber-jabbering with the spectators, he comes across as more human; someone that the spectator can relate to.

His chops are good enough to pass the scrutiny of laymen. Where they are not, he uses multiple takes and edits.

Simple. A great magic show on TV, done in your face.

When you compare that with the the "Worlds Greatest Magic" shows, it is sooooooo easy to see why the obsession.

In a nutshell, Magic is and always has been wonderful and mysterious and it's now being shown to people in an unoffensive and mysterious way.

So it just is what it is....awesome. It's not being up-staged by purple tuxedos, music, over-showmanship, contrived poses, horrible humor, and on and on and on...

In theory, the performance is sub-par. But something about it is more appealing than many other styles.

This would be interesting to discuss further.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 17:07, Neil wrote:
I've seem real street performers and they usually do cups and balls, 3 card monte, linking rings, 3 shell game, card tricks or hopefully something quite original.

None of the above effects are original.

When you ask a layperson what are some effects they associate with "Magic", those will more than likely be some of the effects they name. However, even after the Blaine specials, most laypeople will not name any of the effects he performed as "Stereo-typical."

So, I would say that all of these "Real" street performers you look up to are actually the ones who need a lesson in "Originality."
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Do a search you will find hundreds of topics just like this one. Stop talking about David Blaine!!!
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 21:57, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Do a search you will find hundreds of topics just like this one. Stop talking about David Blaine!!!

And I thought I had issues.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
I totally agree Frank. I can see the appeal of him as a TV magician. I like to see magicians doing well and he does select some good effects. I'm not a fan of his drawling presentation but I like to watch him.

My point wasn't really about why David Blaine is popular but why "Street Magic", by looking the threads in this forum, seems to be defined as "Blaine's last TV special magic". I want to know why the effects discussed are "street".

"So, I would say that all of these "Real" street performers you look up to are actually the ones who need a lesson in "Originality". "
I think you've misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that real street performers are original. As you point out, they are more often than not doing effectst that are very old indeed. When I say "real" street performers I mean real street performers! - the people who perform for crowds in cities. I don't look up to them
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Oh I see, Sorry, I did misunderstand.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
No your right Che you do have issues.
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Quote:
On 2004-06-15 23:28, LBP MAGIC wrote:
No your right Che you do have issues.


I'm beginning to realise that more and more each day.
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 21:57, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Do a search you will find hundreds of topics just like this one. Stop talking about David Blaine!!!

Does LBP stand for "Loves Blaine Perpetually"?
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
I do love Blaine perpetually. I wont even start to make fun of the name Fishsticks.

By the way Che it feels good once you realize that doesn't it. I realized I had issues a few years back... Life has never been better!
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
To me, street magic is "out of pocket" where you don't need a lot of props (or at least "fishy" looking props) and you don't need a table. Mostly in the hands with ordinary type objects.
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I think the term "Street Magic" is more about the approach than the trick itself.

The tricks all seem to be either in the stunt catagory or close up, but the presentation seems more impromptu or reverse impromptu.

What I mean by reverse impromptu is that in impromtu magic is when some one catches you "off gaurd," street magic would be that in reverse, the audience is unsuspecting and poof there's some magic done by a stranger for no apparent reason.

That's how I look at it any way.
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 20:36, Che wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 17:07, Neil wrote:
I've seem real street performers and they usually do cups and balls, 3 card monte, linking rings, 3 shell game, card tricks or hopefully something quite original.

None of the above effects are original.

When you ask a layperson what are some effects they associate with "Magic", those will more than likely be some of the effects they name. However, even after the Blaine specials, most laypeople will not name any of the effects he performed as "Stereo-typical".

So, I would say that all of these "Real" street performers you look up to are actually the ones who need a lesson in "Originality".

Are you Kidding me?
Do you really think that all those tricks and effects that David Blaine did on his specials where original? The majority if not all the effects Blaine where someone else's ideas. Remember who where his advisers; Michael Webber, Eugene Burger, and Paul Harris.

And also, do you do only your original material, and not anyone else's? Variations don't count.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
James, you forgot to add David Williamson as an advisor Smile


Chris
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 00:38, Full Effect wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 20:36, Che wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 17:07, Neil wrote:
I've seem real street performers and they usually do cups and balls, 3 card monte, linking rings, 3 shell game, card tricks or hopefully something quite original.

None of the above effects are original.

When you ask a layperson what are some effects they associate with "Magic", those will more than likely be some of the effects they name. However, even after the Blaine specials, most laypeople will not name any of the effects he performed as "Stereo-typical".

So, I would say that all of these "Real" street performers you look up to are actually the ones who need a lesson in "Originality".

Are you Kidding me?
Do you really think that all those tricks and effects that David Blaine did on his specials where original? The majority if not all the effects Blaine where someone else's ideas. Remember who where his advisers; Michael Webber, Eugene Burger, and Paul Harris.

And also, do you do only your original material, and not anyone else's? Variations don't count.

No, not at all, if you read my post again you will notice I said, "To Laypeople".
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Some people confuse walk-around magic for street magic. There is nothing that can be done about that. For those who want to get it right, however, Street Magic is something you'd see Jeff Sheridan, or Gazzo do. DB performs Walk Around Magic.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 12:06, Alex Linian wrote:
Some people confuse walk-around magic for street magic. There is nothing that can be done about that. For those who want to get it right, however, Street Magic is something you'd see Jeff Sheridan, or Gazzo do. DB performs Walk Around Magic.

I couldn't agree more Alex! However, thanks to the special DB landed, unfortunately, lay people and even some magicians I know associate what DB does as street magic. Also, many of the people DB inspired into taking up magic refer to what they do as street magic... oh well...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » So "Street Magic" is.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL