The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lying as first choice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8996 Posts

Profile of funsway
Just for fun I kept track of all of the unsolicited calls/contact I received in January.
This includes phone calls on mobile and home, plus Internet messages on three addresses.
It does not count pop-ups or fake news offers on Social media..

Out of the 381 one that snuck around blocking 352 started their message/offer with a blatant lie. (92%)

Not an oversell like "Get the most popular cream ever invented," but "I stopped by your house last week but you were not home, so...."
or "I see that you requested a quote on XXXXX from our company last year, and ..."

or worse, "We received notice your car insurance was cancelled ..."

Why would I want to buy anything from a company or person who starts off with lie?

Do most people today just not care about truth or honesty? Do these marketers believe a lie makes them seem more friendly/normal?
Do they feel that everyone's memory is so bad they will accept any event as possible?

the worst was, "Before he died last year your dad placed an order for XXXX. Do you still want it?"

My father passed in 2014 and had no outside contact for two years before that. Isn't this "going to far?"
Even if one imagines they mixed up phone numbers, how is this a good approach?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ken it's two things that the scammers are counting on, based on playing the percentages, and borne out by their years of experience.

1) A certain percent of the population will believe a ridiculous lie, due to poor memory or general cluelessness. It doesn't matter that that may only be a fraction of a one percent of the people the scammers are targeting. Because the internet and robocalls can have such a wide reach, even a small percent of a large number is still a large number of prospects.

2) The lies are often *deliberately* ridiculous. The thinking by the scammers is that if you respond to an outrageous lie, then you must really be a sucker who can be played. In other words it's a self-selecting process to find the biggest mark.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida
872 Posts

Profile of Russo
Often I've said to these phonies "there Phone # has changed to ...... " and gave them the Sheriffs #. Or. if they were from some Bank, "funny, I'm the President of that Bank".. are we having fun yet??
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16222 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have been unable to log into my PayPal account for six months. Today I discovered why: six months ago, my set-up anonymous call blocking on our landline and PayPal security codes sent to the number was blocked. I finally got through to PayPal today and sorted it out. It has taken six months for PayPal to answer their phone. Such is life.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Lieing is succesful.
When it isn't perhaps we'll evolve beyond the "need" for it. Maybe... if it even matters at all.

A lie may not work against you, but then again it might. Do you believe in science or religion? Well you probably believe in a lie.
Are you a Democrat, Republican, Whig? Yeah, you too.

I mean science at least frames it's facts behind theories and individuals, so when they're proven wrong they can blame someone/thing.

I have a conscious mind that I am aware of... outside of that, even WHERE I am is debatable.
So yeah, lies suck if they matter at all.

Assuming you all even exist outside my consciousness don't click on links if you didn't expect them, and don't trust any advertisement ever! Advertisements are meant to sell things, not tell the truth (at least in my world).
"Make my *** bigger"... my ass.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Why is the technical descriptor for my male genitalia bad, but my ass is cool?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
!@#$%^,
if you give me your credit card number and the CVC on the back I'll deposit 1 mugilillion dollars into it
... that's why lieing works, I can't say words, but I can tell absurd lies.

Content MIGHT eventually be censored, but we are terrified by words. We have chosen to moderate them immediately. Scary.
We as a society, at least in my mind, have decided that words matter more than content.

Then again, we aren't as mad when we're lied to as we could be.

Yes, I'm the **** when it ****ing comes to mother ****ing philosophy!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16222 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think it was Lennart Green that pointed out that if you say there was a cardsharp and show them what the cardsharp could do, then it can give you confidence because the focus is on this cardsharp you are talking about rather than you.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I feel lucky, someone from another country calls me daily to check up on me... I realize that the car warranty extension is just an excuse to make sure I am doing ok in this time of covid.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lying as first choice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL