The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Would You Be Interested IN A New Type Of Spirit Box (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
I am a pushover for spirit box type effects and own several. I really have respect for the builders of this great effect. With the times we are in many builders have gone by the wayside, a very sad time. So no more of these cabinets are available now as far as I know. I am pointing to cabinets like The Legacy Cabinet which was crafted by Owens or The Viking Spirit Cabinet which is in essence a Sefalaljia Cabinet in oriental motif, neither of these two beautiful effects are produced any longer as far as I know. The question I have to all you folks that like this sort of effect would you be interested in a new style of cabinet similar to those mentioned that is electronically controlled, and not crafted with exotic woods but rather constructed from standard cabinet materials which would be somewhat easier on the old wallet. It would finished in natural stain or painted with oriental motif or Egyptian motif or maybe special order custom motif. Like the others everything needed would be included. This is just some thoughts I have been pondering and in no way indicates that I am going to build this cabinet. However I would like your thoughts as to would this be an item you would purchase if the the price was not inflated to a very expensive piece.
OK let me have it I know someone is going to jump my bones about this.
I don't understand all I know about this
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I’m not in the market for a Sefalaljia (nor electronic derivative), but it is an apparatus that fascinates me. I’m especially taken with the theme idea. There seems to have been a time when a lot of props were produced with generic Asian motif and no actual reasons for the decor, so if you do decorate them to represent a particular culture, it would be great to see some routine suggestions that go along with that culture. I might even suggest considering Lovecraft themes, as an altar to the Elder Gods makes it a departure from timber from a haunted house.

I love to window shop, but can’t justify buying one. Still, I’d be so pleased to see them being built again.

Patrick
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Thanks Patrick,
The Viking Cabinet is Oriental Motif and the items used are also styled Oriental motif. I like you believe the style should go with culture represented. And also should be somewhat different than timber from old house or hotel. The Elder Alter is a very good idea. However Joe long produces a Pandora's box that is made from old timber and can be spooky, it produces effects similar to Sefalalija cabinet, but is very different from the cabinet I am trying to visualize. The cabinet I have in mind is much like the Legacy cabinet Owen's produced. It will produce 3 maybe four different effects. A complete routine so to speak. I am trying to keep the cost down so it would be available to most serious performers so it would not be extremely elaborate but be a very attractive piece in natural or painted finish. The main feature would be hands off performance, except the loading of items needed for next effect of course.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Gerald Blankenship wrote:
I am a pushover for spirit box type effects and own several. I really have respect for the builders of this great effect. With the times we are in many builders have gone by the wayside, a very sad time. So no more of these cabinets are available now as far as I know. I am pointing to cabinets like The Legacy Cabinet which was crafted by Owens or The Viking Spirit Cabinet which is in essence a Sefalaljia Cabinet in oriental motif, neither of these two beautiful effects are produced any longer as far as I know. The question I have to all you folks that like this sort of effect would you be interested in a new style of cabinet similar to those mentioned that is electronically controlled, and not crafted with exotic woods but rather constructed from standard cabinet materials which would be somewhat easier on the old wallet. It would finished in natural stain or painted with oriental motif or Egyptian motif or maybe special order custom motif. Like the others everything needed would be included. This is just some thoughts I have been pondering and in no way indicates that I am going to build this cabinet. However I would like your thoughts as to would this be an item you would purchase if the the price was not inflated to a very expensive piece.
OK let me have it I know someone is going to jump my bones about this.

https://dark-artifacts.com/product/the-borley-cabinet/

These are currently in development. 2 years of R&D, multi-phase routine based on the most haunted house in England. Museum quality and rock solid electronics as with all our props. Oh, and Sefalaljia I & II can be performed with it. It’s the Swiss Army knife of spirit cabinets.

N.
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Thanks Nick,
I am a fan of Dark Artifacts. I did not know you were producing this item. I in no way meant to step on any ones toes here. Just been thinking about this. My project would be very much like the Legacy Box only electronically actuated. Since Owens is gone no one is building this piece that I know of. Your cabinet looks
very nice. I probably will be interested in purchase when you have finished development.
Thanks Jerry
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
I definitely have an interest in them. The barley cabinet looks incredibly awesome but unfortunately a bit out of my price range. Hope to acquire one, one day, or possibly a less expensive one to start out with. Keep us updated!
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
If it interests any of you and you want to build a Sefalaljia box yourself, my book Slash, Hack, and Saw! shows how step by step. In this case you can rig it anyway you want to make things happen. Thread to electronics to rubber bands. Plus a number of other very spooky projects. Also Lulu is having a 15% off sale through Feb 12th. Code is all caps BOOKLOVER15 to save money.
https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/lary-kue......geSize=4

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Would You Be Interested IN A New Type Of Spirit Box (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL