The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Identify this Box (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Psy1
View Profile
New user
Atanta
21 Posts

Profile of Psy1
I need help to identify this box. I think it is a Mikame item but am not sure. I have used it as a small prediction chest but it could be used to produce, vanish or switch small items such as billets. Dimensions: 3.75 inches wide, 2.75 inches deep, 2.25 inches high. It is extremely well made and can be examined. If you know who made it or where to find information please let me know on here or by PM. Also, I am interested in the history of the design and a guess at its value. Thanks

Click here to view attached image.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5441 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi Psy1!

It doesn't look like a Mikame piece. Perhaps Thayer, Owen, or German maker? It appears to be more like a watch box.

I'm assuming it functions like a Lippincott box?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2612 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Psy1
View Profile
New user
Atanta
21 Posts

Profile of Psy1
This appears to function like a Lippincott box but is much nicer quality than any I have seen so far. I purchased it in the late 70's at a Magic Hands convention from another convention member. The design and finish is equal to the finest furniture quality I have ever seen. Whoever made it is/was a master craftsman.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5441 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good find Sponge. Definitely could also be English made.

Psy1, if you are on Facebook, there are several groups that focus on collectible magic. They are full of educated and experienced collectors who should be able to help you.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Depending on how it operates, it may be a watch box. Those were made to a much higher quality than ring or coin boxes and were always cloth lined to protect the watch from scratches and ensure quiet operation. The size is right for a watch box too.
Psy1
View Profile
New user
Atanta
21 Posts

Profile of Psy1
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, FrankFindley wrote:
Depending on how it operates, it may be a watch box. Those were made to a much higher quality than ring or coin boxes and were always cloth lined to protect the watch from scratches and ensure quiet operation. The size is right for a watch box too.

That is my thinking now. It is bigger than most ring boxes I have seen and big enough for a watch. It was so well made that I bought it just for how well it was made and for how nice it felt in my hand. I didn't care what it was. I just knew that I wanted it because of the craftsmanship. I have had it for over 40 years now and it still works perfectly! The workings are so precise that they are virtually undetectable.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
It is very close to the Thayer Watch Box design. See this auction listing for one from the 1930s:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/556......g-thayer

Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
I need help to identify this box.

Your box is a Vampire Magic (Max Andrews) Self Locking Watch Box.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5441 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks Brad.

Google search turned up this inner box from a Vampire nest of boxes set. Sure looks similar...
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a......14249333
Psy1
View Profile
New user
Atanta
21 Posts

Profile of Psy1
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2021, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Thanks Brad.

Google search turned up this inner box from a Vampire nest of boxes set. Sure looks similar...
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a......14249333

This is exactly what it is. Thanks for your help. Now, If I only had the rest of the next of boxes. lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Identify this Box (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL