The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » SUMMIT by Patrick Kun and Abstract Effects ("It's the trick of the year for me." -Ekaterina) (159 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..22~23~24 [Next]
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Phatmeat wrote:
I’m guessing it’s limited to just the court cards.

That would actually be great. My concern is that it's less than that.
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
403 Posts

Profile of ritty360
This seems limited. Very limited.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
895 Posts

Profile of scott0819
If the this is essentially Instagrab in a Sharpie then I would expect the selection process to be like that effect (also similar to Inferno).

Instagrab performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7HCbRZEGOg

Just curious how self-contained things are with this.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5382 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Joe Roberts wrote:
This is from the MJM email about the effect:

It could be the Queen of Hearts. It could be the King of Spades. That card will be in the sharpie pen!"

I think that usually you would say something more like...it could be the Queen of hearts or it could be the 4 of clubs.
I thought it strange that MJM used two face cards in their description. Makes me think you must be limited to face cards.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
587 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
My guess is it can be any of the 12 court cards and you receive 6 gimmicked cards that make up all 12 of the court cards (depending on how you hold the card). Which would mean that you cannot let the spectator unfold the card. The magician has to do it.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2447 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Could this be more than one sharpie and you pull it out after they name a card and some by play and open it to reveal? Seems the most obvious if you have limited cards that you can produce if there’s more than one sharpie. That way there’s no deck needed.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, magicmind wrote:
Could this be more than one sharpie and you pull it out after they name a card and some by play and open it to reveal? Seems the most obvious if you have limited cards that you can produce if there’s more than one sharpie. That way there’s no deck needed.

Read the ad.
danHumphrey
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, magicmind wrote:

The copy says "Keep the Sharpie in view the ENTIRE time."

They also say in the video "You pull it [the card] out and ask them to name their card for the first time..."

That said, they show hardly any of the performance in the video so it feels like they're hiding something.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3901 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Couldn’t you simply convert your own sharpie and stick a rolled up card inside and perform your favourite card force routine?
Smile

You can take a normal deck. Show all the cards different. Have the spectator shuffle the cards and have them freely select any card. Use Paul Harris's Avalanche to force the necessary card and you are done.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
My concerns about this effect were (1) What procedures were hidden from us in the promo? and (2) How suspicious were those procedures?

Unfortunately, this thread has degenerated into speculations about the method itself, which are inappropriate, especially in an open forum. I would still like answers to my two questions above, so if you have them, please post. Smile
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
danHumphrey
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, Jonathan1000 wrote:
My concerns about this effect were (1) What procedures were hidden from us in the promo? and (2) How suspicious were those procedures?

Unfortunately, this thread has degenerated into speculations about the method itself, which are inappropriate, especially in an open forum. I would still like answers to my two questions above, so if you have them, please post. Smile

I don't see the difference between what you are asking for ("What procedures were hidden") and what you are saying shouldn't be happening ("speculations about the method").

For context:

Method definition: a procedure, technique, or way of doing something, especially in accordance with a definite plan.

Are you saying the speculation is wrong and you want to know the actual procedures/methods?
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Jonathan1000 wrote:

What are you talking about? Literally the purpose of this particular section of the Café is for "speculation." If you don't want that, don't read this section.
Open up your mind
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Open up your mind
So we’re being sold the fact that males will always name the Jack of Hearts when asked to think of a card they relate to for £50? That’s certainly what it seems like.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
[quote]On Feb 5, 2021, danHumphrey wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, Jonathan1000 wrote:

I don't see the difference between what you are asking for ("What procedures were hidden") and what you are saying shouldn't be happening ("speculations about the method").

Reasonable question, Dan. The effect is being marketed as using a random card merely thought of. I want to know if that's accurate or if a procedure underlies the selection. It's not appropriate to disclose -- or ask for -- a description of the procedure. That would be disclosure.

Joe, your comment entirely misses my point. My abstaining from this section won't undo the harm of disclosing secrets. But I certainly appreciate your kind and friendly thought. Smile
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
Could the pen have a card on either side, one end always being covered by the cap?
I’ve never been a “guess that method “ type, but I was just thinking.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1404 Posts

Profile of Jared
My question for Tyler Lunsford is how much pocket space does it require and is there enough built-in misdirection when you need to dip into your pockets? Of course, the camera naturally cuts away when all of this action is happening on the trailer. It seems like the only (possible) advantage to this is that the card apparently remains in full-view before it is eventually switched for the named card.

Naturally, the basic effect can easily be replicated by using Sankey's Paperclipped and a 'Q' index. My hope is that this somehow streamlines and/or improves the handling besides simply adding double-indexed cards (thus reducing the 12 face cards to 6). I've been disappointed with so many of the Other Brothers releases in recent years that I'm a bit reluctant to pull the trigger.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Jonathan1000 wrote:

Joe, your comment entirely misses my point. My abstaining from this section won't undo the harm of disclosing secrets. But I certainly appreciate your kind and friendly thought.     Smile

I didn't miss your point. Your point was nonsense. First you tell people they shouldn't speculate in a section that is FOR speculating (see here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=179360&forum=218 ) 

Then you imagine there is some "harm" happening if magicians on a forum for people interested in magic, speculate about a method. There is no "harm" to undo. No one is "disclosing secrets." Laypeople aren't reading the magic Café to find out magic secrets. There are much easier ways for them to do that. People are here discussing practical considerations for this effect and whether or not it's something they want to spend their money on. 
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1168 Posts

Profile of APC
It's also possible they are four suits per card like some other effects where you can open a card four ways. That would reduce it to 3 cards. Either way, I think I'd rather have an index with more choices.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4145 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Instagrab with a sharpie
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
The post on which you rely to justify exposure in this forum also provides that REVIEWS may not be posted here. So it appears the words you cite are far from gospel.

You also seem to believe that laymen don't read the green pages. Nonsense! Just Google virtually any trick name and you'll see that the Café discussion of the effect is invariably among the first listings.

Finally, you say there are easier places to go to learn the secret to SUMMIT. I disagree but here's a chance to prove your point: List any one of those many, easily consulted sites that gives away the secret to SUMMIT.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » SUMMIT by Patrick Kun and Abstract Effects ("It's the trick of the year for me." -Ekaterina) (159 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..22~23~24 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL