The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » SUMMIT by Patrick Kun and Abstract Effects ("It's the trick of the year for me." -Ekaterina) (160 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..22~23~24 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, dyoung wrote:
How do you use E'voque to force a playing card from a deck?

Quite easily Dan as Docc explains any objects can be used and any number of objects as it’s an evolving script that makes perfect sense all the way through . In fact it was cards and the old magicians choice he didn’t like that made him strive to come up with E’Voque . However the main person I was answering was good sources of equivoque after Martin’s post and there are many good ones . Where at least they feel to the audience truly consistent throughout , Dan Harlan sent me a brilliant version , the Safwan papers by Bryn is another great one the list is endless . A very straight forward one without thinking on your feet as it progresses is Mark Elsdons on the mark but personally I have taken snippets from them all in the way I handle it with cards . I think equivoque has to be done beautifully or not be done at all as the link I posted by Geek magjc doing inferno is an example of when not to bother imho Gaz 😊
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I would reverse that question: what is a NORMAL location for a prediction? I think nothing is. (In the eyes of laymen anyway.)

There may not be a 'normal' place, but there are stupid places!

I think the prediction does need to be introduced before the process begins, since that is what a 'PRE'diction is. Which in this case does lead to the line 'I have a prediction inside this Sharpie".
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2706 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I agree. If you want to show a prediction you have to show it before the process begins..
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I think it would be better to do any kind of signed card routine first before going into this. I think it would have a greater impact if they would see that beforehand, the sharpie did write normally. It's a way of showing everything is normal first without having to point it out.

Also would make sense afterwards for them to think of a playing card vs anything else like a number, picture or place. This is how I would perform it. Because it's true that as a standalone effect, there are a couple of unanswered 'whys'.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
Also, "routines that make sense with proper predictions being revealed in logical ways" is the hallmark of good routining, regardless of whether that the performance is magic or mentalism. That you think that only magic is otherwise seems insulting to magicians and appears to reinforce the snobby attitude stereotypically associated with mentalists.

Nothing "snobby" about it in the slightest. They are two different types of performance art/entertainment. The parameters in mentalism are much tighter than they are in magic. It would be absurd for a a mentalist to fly across the stage; it makes perfect "sense" for David Copperfield to do so.

If you want effects to make external sense, in addition to internal sense, and to play with the improbable but plausible -telepathy, divination, influence, precognition, psychokinesis etc then you will be more drawn to mentalism. If you prefer astonishing, fantastical events -transportations, levitations, transformations, body parts being moved around in boxes -then you'll be more drawn to magic. One isn't better than the other, they're just different.

But no matter how you cut it, burning playing cards according to their gender and keeping one burnt card held by a paperclip in a matchbox has internal logic but makes no sense as a real world event. Or rather, at best it makes slightly more sense than having a thought of card in a Sharpie. But not much. What Inferno does have is far more internal logic. Which is why it is a superior magic routine.

Mentalism should deal with events that could just about make sense in the real world. That's why I prefer it. But then, I prefer 2001 to Star Wars, even though I enjoy both. Both are set in space, but one is rooted in an imagined extension of the real world; the other is based in fantasy. It doesn't mean one is better than the other. They're just different.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
All right so I received mine... that was quite quick... First impressions while unboxing are (I haven't watched the tutorial yet):
1) I pretty much exactly received what I thought I would receive (see everything that has been discussed on here)
2) The i***x is way smaller than 6 sharpies - it will take one of your pockets though, however I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to spread it over 3 pockets for example
3) By looking at what I received there's one small thing I'm not too sure how they achieve (more to that later) but let's see what they say in the tutorial
4) Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to leave them the sharpie to examine

But again, need to watch the tutorial ofc, more to come in the coming days
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
So far is it worth the time to learn and perform?
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
So far I really like it! Honestly I don't feel there is much to learn/practice. At the end of the day it's an i***x with 6 outs that's really well made, it comes with special cards that give you 12 outs and I feel it's really durable.

I don't really have a lot to add to everything that has already been said unfortunately - as I said I pretty much received what I thought I would receive. For some reason (hence my 3rd point above) I thought the spectators were handling the sharpie at the very beginning but they're not (and it's not an issue). Other than that it's pretty much what I thought it would be so then it comes down to whether you like that kind of plot/effect. I really do but I can definitely understand it's not for everyone.

Regarding the first equivoque they teach you several (standard) methods that anybody can use very easily (and that make sense!).

I have come up with a slightly different handling and a story where I talk about a young boy who needed to be successful at one last exam at school in order to be accepted to the year above. That last exam was a drawing exam but unfortunately he absolutely hated drawing and his teacher knew that. However his teacher knew that he liked playing poker/card games so he decided to make him draw a playing card in order to help him a bit. At this point either you do an equivoque or you can simply tell people that, in order to make the drawing exam at least a bit challenging he asked the boy to draw a picture card. Then you can go on asking your audience what picture card they think the teacher asked for? K, Q or J? Then Red or Black? etc. Then you ask them if they can draw that card on a business card and pass the exam. A lot of spectators will probably tell you that they're rubbish at drawing at this point but still ask them to have a go. Obviously the marker won't work so they won't be able to so and you then tell them that it's exactly what happened during the exam: the young boy was actually also a magician and he made the sharpie stop working in order to get out of the exam. His teacher wouldn't however let him pass so easily so the boy said "don't worry, I can do better than a picture" - and then you produce the card. That's very badly written but you get the idea..

I actually ended up ordering a second Summit in order to be able to let them open the sharpie and unroll the card themselves. And for the handling I will have one i****x in each pocket with a blank business card in each pocket. I have set up the i****x the other way round as far as the cards are concerned (so facing up for those who have it and don't press too hard inside the index otherwise the load won't work). As soon as I know the colour (I have black on the left and red on the right) I put the sharpie in the corresponding hand. Then, as I say I'm looking for a business card, I go to my pocket with both hands (whith the sharpie still ~50% visible) and I load the sharpie and take it out a the same time I take out the business card from the other pocket. That way the load is invisible and for them you just looked for a business card inside your pockets (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned I really like Summit but again I can totally understand that it's not for everyone.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I just realized I haven't commented on the i***x a lot, nor have I commented on the load but:
1) the i***x is very well made and can be used very easily, so it's very practical
2) the load is very easy to do and the way the routine is constructed makes it quite undetectable
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
You seem to be pleased with the gimmicks provided (based on the fact that you purchased another set) whereas Gaz thought they were absolute rubbish. That’s quite a difference of opinion.

AFA as your presentation, I don’t mean to sound critical but TBH if presented to me I would find it very unbelievable, but perhaps your intention is for it sound silly and more comical. Maybe at least say it is for an art or drawing class. But I realize it’s hard to convey everything in a quick write up so there’s probably more there than comes across.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
First of all please be critical, any comments, ideas etc we can share will only help all of us improve what we want our presentation to be. And you're totally right - in my mind it's not meant to be presented as a serious thing but more as a joke with a twist. I do need to work on the wording etc. so thank you for the suggestion, I like it.

As for the gimmicks - well... they're nothing close to high-tech nor extraordinary (I haven't seen anything like this before but it's nothing complicated) but they work well for me so far and I haven't practiced that much yet. Also not sure why you wouldn't be able to hand them the sharpie, once you have taken the card out I'm not sure what they would be able to find... I'm sure different people have different opinions on a specific gimmick, for me the ones here work just fine!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Hi Bill I have just emailed you Gaz 😊
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
How much space does the i***x take up? Do you need to commit a whole pocket to it?

Glad to hear you like it so far goldeneye.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2021, jamo425 wrote:
How much space does the i***x take up? Do you need to commit a whole pocket to it?

Read his review 5 posts up
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2021, jamo425 wrote:

Yes it will roughly take one whole pocket - I will also have a business card/blank card with it but, even if technically you could have other things in your pocket, I wouldn't put much more together with it, also because, well, it's an i***x so the less you have around it the less fumbling you'll do and also the less visible it will be (if you only have that in your pocket it's not visible at all by the way).

That being said once you have it in your pocket you will hardly feel it's there and I wouldn't think it will be annoying to carry around all day; you just won't be able to have keys in that pocket for example.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Some full performances by the Other Brothers:
https://youtu.be/r2hoMgfMM8Y
Infographicmagicreviews
View Profile
Regular user
Nelson
137 Posts

Profile of Infographicmagicreviews
The box look giant during prop dog's review.

Is the actual prop pocket friendly? how does the size compare to a normal bi fold wallet?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Twice the size regards Gaz 😊
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2021, Infographicmagicreviews wrote:
The box look giant during prop dog's review.

Is the actual prop pocket friendly? how does the size compare to a normal bi fold wallet?

I find it practical enough. I'm not sure what the size of a "normal bi fold wallet" is so here are the dimensions of what you have in your pocket when it's loaded: 7.3cm x 11.6cm
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2021, scott0819 wrote:
Some full performances by the Other Brothers:
https://youtu.be/r2hoMgfMM8Y

Ha thanks for sharing! I really can't understand how the first presentation would work regarding the first choice but maybe it does... Shows the workings of it in any case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » SUMMIT by Patrick Kun and Abstract Effects ("It's the trick of the year for me." -Ekaterina) (160 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL