The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Okito Boxes (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
77 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
I am looking to purchase a set of Okito Boxes. I have quite a bit of material that I have looked at in terms of routines. In addition to some Roth's and Bobo's, I want to do the Mojo routine which requires two Okitos and a Boston.

I was considering purchasing either the Daytona version of Jim Zee's or the David Roth version that RK makes. I understand that both will take expanded shells. I contacted RK and he gave me a price on everything but then I wrote back to him with some questions about other items and the approximate time it would take to get them and he never got back to me. I know it might take a month or so, but if he was offended by that or other simple questions I asked him about other items.

I am 68 years old, one of those antiquated kind of guys who back in the day communicated with a device that had a dial on it. I generally like to do business with people that will answer the phone or communicate in a consistent manner. I realize that is probably an unreasonable expectation these days.

Anyway, now, February 2021, any suggestions on a set of boxes would be appreciated.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Even if you did not give your age we would have clue from your name that you are a reader of old science fiction.

I am 79 and don't consider myself antiquated as my mind is still 24 inside, thought my crippled hands are 104,
but I agree to your having the right to an immediate answer --

even if you may not like it Smile

I have numerous boxes of the Okito type in principle. I prefer the Buhdda boxes for several reasons, but mostly because they "feel right" and
the shape is similar to some other props I use for congruency. They also are not expensive.

I would avoid any made of aluminum or plastic because of the weight balance, though Daytona has a wood one with other advantages (or used to)

But, I question the wisdom in purchasing a versatile prop set for the purpose of a single effect. Wouldn't it be better to invest
in learning more possible effects than getting mild stress over dealing with marketers? Dave Neighbor's book might be considered.

Regardless, I would recommend getting only one Box of possible set and work with it. Make it yours in hand, mind and smile.
Then add the others of the set as desired. I would suggest the Boston for versatility if you might wind up with only one.

As you have 50+ posts, goon the sale site and ask if anyone has a multi-box set for sale
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
baronborrelli
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
46 Posts

Profile of baronborrelli
I absolutely love my Dollar sized M-Box purchased on Amazon. I am not sure if I am allowed to include URL’s, but it is easy to find. It is brass with black anodized inner surface and holds five coins.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, baronborrelli wrote:
I absolutely love my Dollar sized M-Box purchased on Amazon. I am not sure if I am allowed to include URL’s, but it is easy to find. It is brass with black anodized inner surface and holds five coins.

Yeah just ordered one too - great value and I also love the routine which is in the demo
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I got a set from Airship Magic last year. Very well made in my opinion. I don't have anything to compare it to though. I also wanted to get some extra lids and they were responsive to me when I was asking questions about those. If you aren't in a hurry, they occasionally have discounts on their website that you can look out for.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Ronco has about every type of coin box you could want.
From single coin all the way up to JUMBO coin box.

Numerous extra lids to.

GO HERE:

https://www.ronjo.com/magic/coin-and-money-magic/

Fast reliable service.
Purchase a lot coin boxes from this vendor in the past, very happy with everything!
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Ive seen the "decorative" lids. They look great and seem to fit most "same size" boxes (as long as your box has very thick side walls)
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
USA
49 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
I’d suggest airshipmagic.com . Their z boxes are on point and customer service bar none
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Ousterling coin boxes. Craig does excellent work and would make whatever you like. https://primalgimcrack.com/metal/
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
I have many different Okito boxes. I like the one made by Johnson, I bought it thirty years ago from Tannen's. A couple of years ago I also got the Buddha box and I love it. Its shape makes the T**n*ver very easy and the low center of gravity helps to set it upright when you drop it.
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
Quote:
I absolutely love my Dollar sized M-Box purchased on Amazon. I am not sure if I am allowed to include URL's, but it is easy to find. It is brass with black anodized inner surface and holds five coins.

Hi! I ordered this too. It does look nice. What does the "M" mean? I thought there might be something special about this box but it seems to be ungimmicked (not that there's anything wrong with that). I did not get any coins or demo. On request I got a link to a video in Chinese with a few - very few - subtitles. Did your M-Box come with any coins? Thanks!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 14, 2021, martonikus wrote:
Quote:
I absolutely love my Dollar sized M-Box purchased on Amazon. I am not sure if I am allowed to include URL's, but it is easy to find. It is brass with black anodized inner surface and holds five coins.

Hi! I ordered this too. It does look nice. What does the "M" mean? I thought there might be something special about this box but it seems to be ungimmicked (not that there's anything wrong with that). I did not get any coins or demo. On request I got a link to a video in Chinese with a few - very few - subtitles. Did your M-Box come with any coins? Thanks!

You can order with or without coins... Mine came with coins... Here's a little routine with it - https://youtu.be/T8NIhsWlZNQ
Magically,

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Nice Sean Smile
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
Very smooth handling and nice sequential routine!
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Thanks for the kind comments. Although I performed it on a close up mat, I do usually do it on the spectators hands. I have the box and coins in a little drawstring bag, which is placed on their left hand - this is where the box is placed. The bag helps to cover the feeling of the turnover within the routine. The coins are placed on the right hand.

It’s a nice simple routine, great for a strolling environment.
Magically,

KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I've been discovering and researching the coin boxes the last month or so. I've watched dozens of routines, seen scads of box designs and materials. I love the effects that are possible, and the cool variety it can add to coin routining. I have a question, though, in deciding which box to staart with .... Okito, Boston, or Slot.

Is there a reason NOT to get a Boston box as my 1st one? I may not use the feature right away, and don't see an obvious disadvantage to using it for "straight" routines. Am I missing anything important? Would I be better served starting with original Okito if I don't have immediate use for the Boston?
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
David Neighbors needs to chime in here...

Doug
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2021, KungFuMagic wrote:
I've been discovering and researching the coin boxes the last month or so. I've watched dozens of routines, seen scads of box designs and materials. I love the effects that are possible, and the cool variety it can add to coin routining. I have a question, though, in deciding which box to staart with .... Okito, Boston, or Slot.

Is there a reason NOT to get a Boston box as my 1st one? I may not use the feature right away, and don't see an obvious disadvantage to using it for "straight" routines. Am I missing anything important? Would I be better served starting with original Okito if I don't have immediate use for the Boston?

Okito is totally examinable, and the Boston isn't, which for me makes it the one to go for... Simple! Unless you have a neat method for dislodging the recessed coin and then ditching it etc.
Magically,

KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2021, simplymagicweb wrote:

Okito is totally examinable, and the Boston isn't, which for me makes it the one to go for... Simple! Unless you have a neat method for dislodging the recessed coin and then ditching it etc.

Much appreciation for your input. May have found solution to get a couple different ones. Okito for sure.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Okito Boxes (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL