The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 3 or 4 things I should be working on... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
So I'm still relatively new. I've been into magic since I was a kid, but just got more serious about it this year. I am particularly focused on card magic. I have been working on my card sleights, often practicing them repeatedly at night just watching TV and for hours sitting there doing them over and over and over.

I've gotten down several of the ones I've been working on for a while so I can perform them well, but I'm looking for more suggestions for what I should be working on. Sleights/Card controls that I should just be able to perform confidently that I should just sit there for hours practicing.

My primary goal early on is to focus on moves that translate across many tricks (I.e. fundamentals) but if you have particular tricks that require difficult handelings I'm interested in hearing about those too. (for ex. I worked for a while on nailing down the cardini change)

(The pass is of course one I'm already working on)

Let me know what you think.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
How basic are we talking here? Here's my list of fundamental sleights IMO (in no particular order of importance):

Double lift
Top change
Top palm
a false shuffle or two
a force or three
pinkie & thumb break
Glide
Injog
Spread cull
Maybe the Elmsley count (or other false count)

Expert Card Guys, am I missing one or two?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, gaddy wrote:
How basic are we talking here? Here's my list of fundamental sleights IMO (in no particular order of importance):

Double lift
Top change
Top palm
a false shuffle or two
a force or three
pinkie & thumb break
Glide
Injog
Spread cull
Maybe the Elmsley count (or other false count)

Expert Card Guys, am I missing one or two?

Thank you so much for replying. You're right I should have given a little run down of some of the stuff I'm comfortable with at this point.

I've got a good double lift, strong false cuts and shuffles, several forces I'm comfortable with, and I'm comfortable with a break.

I've been practicing a top change for a while. Its a work in progress. I'm also comfortable with a presentable double undercut.

I haven't really worked on any effects that have required a top palm, but I have recently started playing with it. I can palm a card, but cleanly stealing it off the top I need some practice with.

The other moves you cited are definitely things to be working on. I appreciate the feedback!
DerekG
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of DerekG
Knowing when to steal can be as vital as practicing a completely invisible top palm.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
DerekG
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of DerekG
Thanks for the validation, gaddy. Smile

Also, I wanted to add that, in my limited experience, a good way to create an opportunity to do a steal (or a pass) is to have big, wide open, arms spread body language while engaging the spectator/ audience verbally and with eye contact immediately prior to executing the move and doing the move without breaking that eye contact. It also helps greatly if you then do something else that explains why you brought your hands together on the deck (a cut, shuffle, spread, or even a simple squaring of the deck).

Currently, the only true card steal I perform is the mercury fold because the only effect I use a steal for is card to impossible location and the card being folded adds to the effect as well as giving you less to flash. Other than that, I use a version of a side steal as a way to control the card to the top or bottom as needed. I'm certain the move has a specific name, but I don't recall it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 3 or 4 things I should be working on... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL