The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fugitive Coins (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of snushy
Perfect coin for Fugitive Coins? I've tried many alternatives and most of the coins that have the proper diameter are quite thick, and I sometimes get nailed for that reason. Anybody have an ideal coin for this brilliant effect?
Thanks!
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4099 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
David used a commemorative coin of Pope John Paul that he got at the Vatican. It just needs to be the size between a half dollar and a dollar, not thick.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of snushy
Thanks very much Michael!
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Doesn't he recommend the correct coin in Expert Coin Magic? I don't recall the coin but I do know I bought the specific coin that he mentioned in a coin shop so I definitely saw/heard it somewhere.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2739 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I've used an older Canadian Silver Dollar, slightly on the larger side, but milled.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Philippine peso silver coin, 1907 - 1912. Perfect size.

Jim
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
634 Posts

Profile of karnak
Anyone know of an online source (other than auction sites — ones I’ve seen are bids only, no buy-it-now option) for an inexpensive circulated old silver Philippine peso of the date range Jim specified?

Or anyone have one of their own they’d be willing to part with?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4099 Posts

In his lecture notes, both a bahamian dollar and a Mexican silver 5 peso coin as being the right size.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, Frank Yuen wrote:
Doesn't he recommend the correct coin in Expert Coin Magic? I don't recall the coin but I do know I bought the specific coin that he mentioned in a coin shop so I definitely saw/heard it somewhere.

Is that in his video series, or a book by Dave R?

Thanks;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4099 Posts

In the book the size of the coin is described, but not the type of currency. It was discussed in his lecture noted as statwd. He may have also discussed it on video or at his early lectures, but I don't have that information. I know he told me about the coin he got at the Vatican, and being that I lived in Italy I was able to pick one up for myself.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of magicfish
On his Stars of Magic VHS , he refers to it as a Mexican centavo.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
634 Posts

Profile of karnak
I did a bit of “research” (i.e., Googling), and came up with this:

Half dollar = 30.6 mm
Silver dollar = 38 mm

So presumably something roughly midway in between would be around 34 mm or so.

Canadian silver dollar = 32 mm
Bahamian silver dollar (1966-70 or maybe later) = 34 mm
Mexican silver 5 peso (1955-57; dates matter!) = 35 mm
Philippine silver 1 peso (1907-12) = 35 mm

Hope this helps other seekers.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
I mistyped, I was interested where the "Fugitive Coin" is taught.
Thanks;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
634 Posts

Profile of karnak
It’s in the big “Expert Coin Magic” Roth book, and evidently also in some Roth lecture notes.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2739 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I took some measurements the other day and my Canadian Silver dollar is 35.9mm, width 2.7. I have a Philippine Piso with a much more current date a 33.4mm and w of 2.3. Feeling the difference between a half and a quarter, was best duplicated with the Canadian coin. Your mileage may vary.
CoinBoy101
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of CoinBoy101
The correct sized coin is described in Expert Coin Magic as being "larger than the half dollar in the same ratio that a half dollar is larger than a quarter"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2021, CoinBoy101 wrote:
The correct sized coin is described in Expert Coin Magic as being "larger than the half dollar in the same ratio that a half dollar is larger than a quarter"

Correct. Any ideas?
I'm practicing right now with Canadian currency. I think I've found the correct ratios. Quarter- 2 Dollar Coin- Silver Dollar.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2739 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Magicfish, what it boils down to is that the spectator can feel the distinct difference. I found that even though some coins were bigger than the half, it wasn't enough to be able to tell the difference easily. And the difference in the half and quarter is quite obvious. Just feel the difference in your 2 regular coins, then eliminate the smaller one and ring in the bigger one and see if the difference is as obvious.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks Tom. I agree 100% with your description of the principle here.
For me, I've found that the Canadian Silver Dollar is proportionately larger than the 2 Dollar coin, as the 2 Dollar Coin is to the quarter.
The thickness is very close as well.
I was curious as to which coin Coinboy101 finds appropriate.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, karnak wrote:
It’s in the big “Expert Coin Magic” Roth book, and evidently also in some Roth lecture notes.

Thanks; I guess I'll have to wait for the reprinting.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fugitive Coins (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL