The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Push-Button Switches ON/OFF loud clicking sound (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
668 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I've been working on some electronic projects and can't seem to find a small ON/OFF switch (not momentary) that doesn't produce a LOUD clicking sound when pressed. The slide switches aren't too bad - they're quite quiet actually - but the push-button ones I've tried (and I think I need a push-button switch for this idea) are really noisy. The mini rocker-switches also give off a loud click (which is surprising because the larger rocker switches used on wall fixtures can be almost silent) Hopefully there's a push button switch out there that can be activated covertly!
magic259
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of magic259
Hi Bill08,

To get round this problem I use a small (silent) momentary push button switch with an Arduino Pro Mini. A simple Arduino programme sketch will allow the momentary switch to act like a toggle switch...i.e push ON / push OFF.

You will need to use a pull up resistor with the switch or add a few extra lines of code to use the Arduino digital internal pull up resistor. Also, depending on the output load, you may need a few extra components to prevent overloading the Arduino....however, nothing too difficult!

Check the internet and you will find a raft of information on this, and programme sketches to do the job.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Bill
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
668 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Very interesting, thanks so much! Looking forward to giving this a try
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
167 Posts

Profile of rhiro
The microcontroller suggestion is a great approach, particularly if you need or want the flexibility. Among many other things you can do with a microcontroller, you can program in whatever delay you wish, which is really great for covert triggering. Your spectators can be burning you and see nothing, not knowing you did the dirty work 15 seconds ago.

You could also use one of the microcontroller outputs to turn on a small LED, trigger a silent vibrator, etc. in order to give the performer confirmation that the device is indeed triggered.

If you don't need the flexibility that a microcontroller affords and are just happy with push-on/push-off behavior, maybe use a latching circuit? You could use either a latching relay, or a non-latching relay that's been wired into a latching circuit, so long as the relay is not too noisy for your application. Google "latching relay circuit momentary switch".

Have fun!

Ross
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
668 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Thanks Ross, much appreciated!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Push-Button Switches ON/OFF loud clicking sound (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL