The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » WAND? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wljarvis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of wljarvis
I am looking for a wand that is placed in a vertical tube as a holder only to unexpectedly pop out by itself. I think it is called a Grasshopper Wand by Davenport? But it may be made by Supreme or another Magic Company. If you have ever seen this or something similar, please contact me. Bill Jarvis
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Do you mean "silver scepter"? You can find it at pretty much every magic dealer.

davfreeman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of davfreeman
Maybe its a rising wand. that's a silver scepter that looks like a normal black and white wand.
wljarvis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of wljarvis
No that is not it. Wand goes in a vertical tube sitting on table and it pops out. by Davenport
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Grasshopper Wand is detailed in an article in Abracadabra Vol. 14 July 1952 to January 1953. The article is titled Whimsical Wands by Johnny Geddes. There is an upright tube called the chimney which the wand is placed in. The wand leaps from this chimney two to three feet into the air.

I will PM you.
wljarvis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of wljarvis
Thank you. Do you know where I can get one.? wljarvis57@hotmail.com I've been looking for a year. I am disabled. Are you able to get one and I'll reimburse you?

Thank you, Bill Jarvis
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22825 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is called, "The Rising Wand", available many places.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22383
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill, don't think that's what he's looking for. The rising wand is similar to silver septor referenced above. He's looking for a wand that is placed in a holder and jumps out.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22825 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave, that is the product most likely sold with the a tube. It is not hard to put a notch in the top of a tube, and a hole in the side of the tube. Put the wand in the tube engaging the notch. Then push the wand down, and place your finger in the tube hole. to trap the wand. Then remove your finger when you needed and the wand will fly into the air. It is not necessary to even put a rounded notch in the top opening of the tube. Just use your thumb to trap the bead outside the tube at the top.

Where there's a will there is a way.

Bill Jarvis, did you contact Davenport's ? They are known for having a cave full of famous magician's props. So they may be able to help with this item.

I find it interesting that their website does not advertise any of the magic they sell. Only promote the expensive books on their history.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill, I know what you are saying however, regardless of whether you hold the wand or modify the tube as you suggest, it is still silver sceptor. That was referenced above and the original poster stated that was not what he was looking for. It sounds like he's looking for a wand that will go into the tube and he can step away from it before it rises. From reading the posts above it seems he has found the name of the wand he's looking for, just needs a place to get it.
Where the magic begins
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Jef Eaton (Kandu Magic) makes a prop / routine that's a little similar to what wljarvis is describing (achieves the same effect):

Kandu's Wand Explosion - Quick Description - As you hold a box of magic wands, one of them slowly rises up. You push it down but it rises up again! After casting a spell all of the wands explode out of the box. As your child assistant helps pick up the wands, one keeps falling through the box. This is a great magical gag that leaves kids laughing! Click the link for more information & video.

Also, he used to make this item:

Kandu's Wand Cannon - Quick Description - A concealed device in your table that is battery powered and will fire magic wands through the air across the stage into your hand repeatedly. Click the link for more information & video.

Jef's website: https://kandumagic.com/

I've seen a lecture by Jef, and I think he's brilliant. I know several performers using his props / routines, as well.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Hey Donald, Thanks for the nice plug regarding my props and the lecture. I am invited to do another lecture at Kidabra 2021 so I hope to share some more good ideas that are a bit out of the box. I believe the item wljarvis is looking for was put out again a few years ago by a British magic company who I can't remember. I actually bought one and have it laying around here somewhere. It is NOT the silver scepter and the wand is not gimmicked. It uses a principle that Warren Stephens used quite a bit, and the one I bought was close. I will try to look for it while cleaning out some stuff and let wljarvis know if he wants it.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
wljarvis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of wljarvis
Jef,

Just reread your blog. Notify me as soon as you can about grasshopper wand, email: wljarvis57@hotmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » WAND? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL