The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Patriotic Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
What about a linking Ropes routine using a red, white and yellow loop of rope which become linked?

Using really think rope would make this visible from a long distance away also.

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-06-15 17:44, Peter Marucci wrote:
The Gr8 DonalD writes: "Do you have anything up your sleeves for us fellow Canucks, Peter?"

The White House die box routine, with a president as the cube, can just as easily be the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa with the current (or any other) Prime Minister as the cube.

Or you could do a TT blendo with small flags of each of the 13 provinces and territories turning into one larger Canadian flag.

Or a sort of three-card monte, which I am using right now, with Canadian money on cardboard backings (a $5, a $10 and a $1 million; the story line involves my mythical Uncle Linguini and the money he owes someone else {the government?})

Or -- well, you get the idea!

Thanks, Peter, for answering my call! I appreciate you and your willingness to share great ideas.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Emazdad, what a farce how can a £1.50 flag be upset the ethnic groups? Politics its all about, they'd be stuck if no-one voted for them at the general election.
Brian- great minds thinkalike I've just beem doing a show and I was using the red green and yellow ropes that tie togeher in a loop today and I thought steven could make this red white and blue.
Matt
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
What if you were to tear up three pieces of tissue paper, a red one, a blue one and a white one (or whatever colours are in your countriy's flag) then restore them but they all restore as on larger piece of tissue paper in the form of the flag. A bit like the sun/moon tissue paper tear but instead it uses a flag. don't know how difficult it would be to find the right type of tissue paper flag though.

What do you think of the idea?

Thanks,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
It could be made quite easily.
Matt
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The torn and restored paper trick was marketed by Abbott's in the 1940's as war bond promotion trick.

I just saw the ad today in an old Sphinx magazine.
Nothing new...
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Alas poor Nick's tabby fell asleep and the pigeons continued unabated . . .

I just get a little uneasy at times, not only for some of my own sins on this Forum, but also for the sins of others too. Call me Granny if you want to, - but this is a Public Forum, and, well, let's face it, some of us are not very far from just letting that bit off the tip of our tongues, that if picked up by people in our neighbourhoods or local newspapers, could, well, do us harm. I know Nick is not serious in this posting, but just take some advice from Grandma Tony. Things have a habit of coming back and hitting you in the face!

Back to my knitting now!!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-06-18 18:39, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:[Nick gentley set the small tabby down amongst the flock of pigeons and slowly tip toed away...]

Just so you know others are reading your posts, "Meow!"

- Donald. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here's a routine I used in the past:

I was asked to do the opening flag ceremony at the Cub Scout Pack meeting and given a Cub Scout Script to which we had to light candles and use patriotic words. Not magic at all, and I didn’t like the idea of given 8-year olds matches but I really liked the script.

I modernized the old scout script slightly and I used Silk Scarfs and a change bag instead of candles and matches. (In the background, subtlely, at a very low volume was the Star-Spangle banner music being played on a remote controlled bomb-box setting the mood.)

Here’s the script:

Scout 1: The blue of my flag is for truth and justice, like the eternal blue of the star-filled heavens. (He puts the blue silk in the change bag.)

Scout 2: The white of my Flag is for purity, cleanness of purpose, thought, word, and deed. (He puts the white silk in the change bag.)

Scout 3: The red of my flag is the lifeblood of the brave men and women, ready to die, or fight to live, for this our country. (He puts the red silk in the change bag.)

Scout 4: (Holding change bag.)
Scout 1 and 2 reach into the change bag and pull out the American flag silk by appropriate ends displaying a 36 inch American Flag as Scout No. 4 says: My flag - The flag of America, home of liberty, land of opportunity, where people of all races and creed, live in peace and friendship together.

Scout 3: Annouces please join us in saying the pledge of allegiance...

In light of recent events (Sept 11th) this went over extremely well. It was not played up as a magic trick, nor did most realize a trick was going to be performed. The flag surprize came as a shock, The "wonderment wow" effect and words of "Did you see that!" floated around the room. (Presentation is the key to a successful effect.)

The Cub Scouts got a loud round of applause for that opening. The routine played very well.

This routine is free for the taking, I liked the words so well, I am going to use them with my Flag Blendo trick at the Blue and Gold Banquet, and in my shows.

I realize, the use of the American Flag brings added applause. In light of recent events, it is a great addition to add patroitism to one’s show. A reminder that magicians are human and empathic to our nation in need to deal with the present situation.

This routine can be easily converted to a Patriotic Routine
Dennis Michael
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-06-18 18:39, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I'd rather see an American routine about Free Speech (something Australia doesn't have) then see a routine about flag waving. Particularly in the current political climate!

Torn & Restored Constitution anyone ?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Now THAT I like!

:)

That would be a routine which would be funny, topical AND educational!

Far between then just making red, white and blue props!

Hi Ace!
Don't worry about me, I am happy if anyone reads my posts! I have no concerns about it hitting me in the face. (but maybe my US green card application will take a little longer....Smile )
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
You want to go to the USA. We'd settle for qualifying in the points system for being able to move to Australia!! Got the dollars to buy an Australian Palace, - got the ability to re-establish business there. But times have changed since Brits were given a free passage to Oz, were given one of those quite awful early weatherboard houses, and left to do their own thing! Now they want YOUNG PROFESSIONALS - huh!!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
Torn & Restored Constitution anyone ?

Penn and Teller do this in their show in Vegas. Well burned not torn but essentually the same thing.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I thought it was a flag burning effect ? The flag is wrapped in a piece of paper, set ablaze and the piece of paper ends up turning into the Bill of Rights and the flag appears elsewhere restored .

But , yes , it's that trick that inspired my quip about a Torn & Restored Constitution .

( Are we having this conversation on "The Little Darlings" forum ?!
Smile I love it . )
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 13:53, aceparties wrote:
You want to go to the USA. We'd settle for qualifying in the points system for being able to move to Australia!! Got the dollars to buy an Australian Palace, - got the ability to re-establish business there. But times have changed since Brits were given a free passage to Oz, were given one of those quite awful early weatherboard houses, and left to do their own thing! Now they want YOUNG PROFESSIONALS - huh!!

I'm the son of an English immigrant (grandson of an English ventriloquist) so I qualify for a British passport! Smile

I live in one of the early suburbs of Canberra so we have ALOT of weatherboard houses which are currently being knocked down to build trendy apartments for the young professionals!

Not much room in them to do kid's shows Smile
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Anyone know where I can get an "appearing flagpole w/flag"?

PLease feel free to PM me if you prefer.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Duane Laflin sells an appearing flag / flagstaff that is quite reasonably priced. He sells 2 versions, one with an american flag, and one with a rainbow tie-dyed flag.

His american flag one costs less than the rainbow one. I own and use two of his rainbow ones.

I don't see either on his website right now, so you might have to call their office and ask about this product.

- Donald.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Some of the best flag staffs I have seen made are put out by General Grant Magic. They are pricey but they are some of the best I have seen. You may want to look into them.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I would agree that General Grant's quality is superb!

- Donald.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would either get General Grant's or Abbott's flagstaffs. Grant's are very, very well made and priced very reasonable. If you ever worked with telescopic tubing, you will appreciate the workmanship. Abbott's is also a good serviceable unit.

I am not impressed with Indian imports or the carbon poles that Mikame was importing. They just do not hold up over time.

I do get used flag staffs from time to time and put my own tie dyes on them. But I do not have the American flags to go on them at this time. But you really do not need a silk flag though it packs smaller. If you do get one, be sure and reinforce with ribbon the edge you attach to the staff to prevent tearing.

I believe Rice Silks still sell the American Flags as does P&A.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Patriotic Effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL