The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Where can I find Larry Jennings' version of Dr. Daley's Last Trick? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I know it's in The Cardwright, but I don't own that book. I read on a forum somewhere that his handling also appears in Jennings '67, which I do own, but I've been unable to find it there. Maybe I'm just missing it?

What appeals to me about his version is that it's supposed to lack the discrepancy that many versions have: the cards that you turn face up should appear to be coming successively from the top of the packet, but at least one comes from an odd place.

Thanks,

Bob
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Bob, I don't think you are missing it - that forum post must have been made in error. Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive has a category for Dr. Daley's Last Trick (here: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/847) and no entry in that category refers to Jennings '67 (while the book is in the archive).
I have read the book quite closely and am sure Dr.Daley's Last Trick (or Jennings' version of it) is not in there.
The Cardwright is still available as an ebook, but I am sure you know that.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
272 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
There's a Daley item in Jennings '67: "Alternative Opening Sequence" pg 227. It might be it.
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Sharp eye, François! This may be it; it will take some study before I'm sure. Tillman, since you've read '67 closely, what do you think? -- is this what I'm looking for?

Yes, I noticed Penguin has the ebook of The Cardwright. Trying not to spend more money on magic -- it adds up so quickly! -- but I may spring for it if the item on pp. 227-8 isn't the one. I appreciate your searching Behr's wonderful site.

Thanks, folks.
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Hi Bob and François,
The item on page 227 of Jennings '67 is an alternative opening sequence for Jennings' Twisting the Aces routine '65 Twist. This alternative opening sequence (or parts of it - the text is not clear to me) is credited to Daley. It is, I am quite sure, unrelated to Jennings' version of Dr. Daley's Last Trick that is described in The Cardwright. I am sorry I can't be more helpful.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Tilman. I took a careful look at p. 227 and found it inscrutable. Richard Kaufman writes beautifully, so I don't think it's the writing; rather, the fact that p. 227 is just one part of a larger piece, and you have to read the earlier stuff to understand it. Anyway, I think we've established that this isn't what I'm looking for...
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
526 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Daley Express from Principia by Harapan Ong is an adaptation.

Dave

Note: I looked in Conjuring Archive, did not expect this book to already be there. Wow.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1089 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
I'm sure I've read a version of DDLT in an issue of Genii Magazine that mentioned something about seeing Jennings perform the trick using a TT followed by a BD. I'm afraid I cannot remember the issue, sorry!
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
272 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
What's a TT? Did you mean DT?
Edit: The penny dropped: Triple Turnover?
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1089 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Yes. I've been using this very method for years. Cards separated by colour, perform a JC, followed by a TT, a ST and a BD! Smile
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3114 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I'm starting to get hungry for a BLT.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Ha ha ha! Don't make jokes like that so close to dinnertime, Andrew.

Thanks, everybody.
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Tilman
The Jennings method in The Cardwright is: aces separated by color, then a TT, followed by a DDT. Really very elegant and beautiful. Also has the advantage of the last dealing action being true.

Paul Wilson has a routine called Alias the Aces (also available as a video download) in his book Chaos Theories that uses what is basically the Jennings handling as one of the phases.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2483 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There will be several unpublished handlings by Jennings in "Mr. Jennings Takes it Tough," coming in a few years. Have written 500 pages (so far) during the pandemic.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Your books are great, Richard. Engaging, clear, and well illustrated, and beautifully produced. Taken together they're a loving celebration of magic.

Speaking from experience, having bought quite a few of your books: it would be great if you could include indices in them.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Where can I find Larry Jennings' version of Dr. Daley's Last Trick? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL