The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Seated or standing ? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1821 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Do you stand at the table, or seat yourselves when performing at club or restaurant ?
Slydini and Bert Allerton's books and the popularity of lapping suppose sitting. Some of those are over a hundred years old. What is the current situation ?
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3222 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Stand. I work out of my pockets mostly. If I plan to do chop cup I just carry that in my hand.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20524 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
At Schulien's we sat. I have never changed this if it can be a choice.

Now mind you I perform by invitation, so standing seems odd.

But the idea is that once you sit you have done a couple things. First of all you become part of that group as opposed to an outsider. It changes the relationship drastically in a positive direction. Also it defines a part of that table as your stage. It makes the area in front of you "yours" and it makes them FAR less likely to grab at things in front of you. It also helps with them seeing things in a meaningful way. The table top becomes the "stage" and it draws focus. This is a good thing.

Needless to say it can be done standing, and done quite well standing. I am in no way saying one way is the right way, or for that matter even a "better" way. Just "my way".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
I am almost always standing, regardless if the patrons are sitting or not. I also work from my pockets, so this makes it easier to smoothly transition between effects.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
391 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I would think that in today's (Covid) environment and the "new normal," strolling and table hopping will be a bit less "hands on spectator" (i.e. coins to spectators hands), and many audiences may not be so receptive to a "stranger" sitting down at their table.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20524 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All depends on where you live but true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1821 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
A side issue, do any of you in the standing camp use the "toppit" and/or sle#ving ? I realize this is difficult when you are up close and personal. Also do any of you work standing behind a bar ?
Just asking.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3310 Posts

Profile of warren
I always stand when performing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Seated or standing ? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL