The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ SHADOW WALLET by Dee Christopher and 1914 ("I wholeheartedly recommend! -Joel Dickinson) (111 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
spaceman-sam
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of spaceman-sam
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:
@Spaceman; Sure, I can add that in - it was just put in as a performance example; but I have a full video breaking it down almost like a directorís commentary from a previous project. But as a quick answer, the peeks happen each time I remove a card (except the first one obviously as thereís nothing to peek).

That would be really useful, if possible. Thank you. I'll have to play back the video and take another look. I thought there was a reading you provided spec 1 before you took a card for yourself but perhaps I'm mistaken on that point.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
@Spaceman; I just PMíd it to you. But Iíll record a new intro so it makes sense for the Shadow project as that routine originally appeared in Razor. In the interim, if anyone else wants a copy of the video before itís uploaded, just email dee[at]the1914.com and I can send it over.
http://the1914.com
The Shadow Wallet // Revelations // The Art Of Stagecraft // Osmo // Cocktail - All now available @ The 1914.
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
70 Posts

Profile of magikmax
I originally wondered why Dee kept referring to the tutorial video as a 'Masterclass', however today I got my answer. To call it a 'tutorial' would be selling it far too short. You're getting over two hours of extremely well thought out, painstakingly explained tuition here, that leaves no stone unturned. Reminds me of the excellent download that Brent Braun released with the FPS Wallet. I've yet to receive the wallet (although I have been using a virtually identical ungimmicked one as my normal daily wallet for around a year now), however the download that comes with the Shadow Wallet is superb. This isn't my first rodeo by a long shot with either peek wallets nor thought of card in wallets (On The Mark by Mark Elsdon has been a favourite of mine for several years, and this has just resigned it to the magic drawer), however if I was a beginner looking for an introduction into this fascinating area of magic and mentalism, this would be an excellent place to start. I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on the wallet itself.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Appreciate the thoughts Max!

We shipped out all our presale wallets yesterday from our UK and USA warehouses; if you ordered yesterday it will be going out today!

A couple more reviews are up:

Carbon - https://youtu.be/O1ODjDAeSt4 (Rooís Reviews)
Leather - https://youtu.be/ggRxm1TGjhg (Magic Orthodoxy)

DC.
The Shadow Wallet // Revelations // The Art Of Stagecraft // Osmo // Cocktail - All now available @ The 1914.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1261 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, videoman wrote:
But I do think there is something to be said about not showing the folded card initially and the specs not knowing where the trick is going. Showing the card beforehand kind of telegraphs the ending.
But no right or wrong, itís all what you prefer.

I agree videoman.

If you have more than one viewer, it can be an advantage to show another person (let's call them B) the card in the compartment with a wink and gesture to keep a secret.

The effect is then performed with a person (let's call them A) who doesn't know anything about the card.
In this way you maintain the moment of surprise for A, but also have a "convincer" with person B ("he showed me the card beforehand" - this can even pass as dual reality in some situations because person A thinks that Person B has seen the open card (and not just the card in the compartment).
B also feels he is being taken into account and respected because one gives the impression of revealing more than A.
I hope that that makes sense. Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3389 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2021, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, videoman wrote:
But I do think there is something to be said about not showing the folded card initially and the specs not knowing where the trick is going. Showing the card beforehand kind of telegraphs the ending.
But no right or wrong, itís all what you prefer.

I agree videoman.

If you have more than one viewer, it can be an advantage to show another person (let's call them B) the card in the compartment with a wink and gesture to keep a secret.

The effect is then performed with a person (let's call them A) who doesn't know anything about the card.
In this way you maintain the moment of surprise for A, but also have a "convincer" with person B ("he showed me the card beforehand" - this can even pass as dual reality in some situations because person A thinks that Person B has seen the open card (and not just the card in the compartment).
B also feels he is being taken into account and respected because one gives the impression of revealing more than A.
I hope that that makes sense. Smile

Very smart thinking, Artin
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
For me it is important they know the card exists. It isn't a surprise there is a prediction, but a miracle the prediction which has been there whole the time is correct.

If they don't know about a prediction and its location you may as well have 52 cards scattered in various locations.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1261 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
You are right and this can be achieved in various ways.
It's a matter of taste and the desired effect Harry Patter.
We should always do what works best for us (and mostly our spectators), but sometimes it is good to go through all the options.

What you're describing, I'll make sure with the additional person (B). The fact that person A has not yet seen the card and does not know what it all comes down to does not make it any less exciting. I therefore also find the subtle surprise nicer. I also don't find it particularly elegant to point out a prediction from the start or even to write "prediction" on an envelope.

The expectation of the viewer mentioned by Videoman and the knowledge of the end of the journey can be counterproductive. A prediction remains a prediction even if you don't refer to it with a huge neon sign. Credibility should be so well established that a "multiple out" is out of the question.

With only one person, I would give the wallet to someone to hold without going into detail beforehand.

@Martin, thank you.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 2, 2021, Harry Patter wrote:
For me it is important they know the card exists. It isn't a surprise there is a prediction, but a miracle the prediction which has been there whole the time is correct.

If they don't know about a prediction and its location you may as well have 52 cards scattered in various locations.

I agree; while I don't tend to take the card out of the wallet (as you'll see in the performances), I'm very clear about having a single playing card in the very thin wallet I'm holding throughout (which of course is way too thin to have anything else hidden in there.

I like the idea of showing a single card in the pocket to another audience member when you're working though, that's a smart idea - then you have the advantage of somebody other than yourself saying that there was only a single card in the wallet from the start. Very nice thinking!
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Joemv
I purchased the leather wallet, received it. The quality is very professional and impeccable. The tutorial by Lewis and Dee is very well taught with lots of ideas on how to
present the two magical/mentalism effects of the wallet.

If you do not want to use the thought of card method effect, there are two methods taught using a deck of cards, so you have many options to use.

When I use the card deck presentation I will use a marked deck or a marked deck in stack order, so you have those options in my humble opinion. The thought of card is excellent though, and very well taught with no stones left unturned. If youíre a beginner, hobbyist, or pro you canít go wrong with this peek wallet.

Thank you Dee for offering this to the magical community, and thank you Lewis for insight and ideas in the tutorial.

Joe
spaceman-sam
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of spaceman-sam
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2021, Joemv wrote:
I purchased the leather wallet, received it. The quality is very professional and impeccable. The tutorial by Lewis and Dee is very well taught with lots of ideas on how to
present the two magical/mentalism effects of the wallet.

If you do not want to use the thought of card method effect, there are two methods taught using a deck of cards, so you have many options to use.

When I use the card deck presentation I will use a marked deck or a marked deck in stack order, so you have those options in my humble opinion. The thought of card is excellent though, and very well taught with no stones left unturned. If youíre a beginner, hobbyist, or pro you canít go wrong with this peek wallet.

Thank you Dee for offering this to the magical community, and thank you Lewis for insight and ideas in the tutorial.

Joe

Ditto, received mine today. Lovely black leather wallet and really nice index which allows you to grab a card without looking, just by feel.

Cards are super thin to keep the bulk down and feel great.

Very nice EDC and a worker IMO.
spaceman-sam
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of spaceman-sam
PS. I will probably blacken the edges of the cards in the index for further camouflage....
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1116 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Got it today. Superb quality. Really like the two main peeks taught, particularly Deeís one using the business cards in the main window. Genius.

The index is nice, but I will use the wallet for the peek only just to keep the thickness down.

I also loved the chilled out nature of the tutorial, full of great performance tips from a couple of workers.

I will definitely use this professionally - highly recommended.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Deckhead
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Deckhead
Ok really loving this wallet. Came up with a new equivocate Iím using that stems of Deeís. Iím finding it opens up for some fun moments. Basically it goes like this. I tell them imagine we are in a low light smokey room. Just ended a night of some card playing. Imagine the deck is on the table. I have them pick it up. Then I say start dealing down and separate the cards into two piles as you deal down. All spot/number cards into one pile, all court/face cards into another. Itís important I know which pile is which. Hereís why. I say pick up one of the piles. If they say they are picking numbers up I tell them as they pick it up to pick up and move it to the side. Itís all one flowing sentence. If they pick up picture cards I just tell them OK will move the number cards to the side. Then I have them lay out the picture cards so they could see them all. What this does I think is now they are visually seeing a table full of possibilities. And then I just have them pick whatever one they want. And then proceed with the reveal.

Thereís one other thing that I was messing around with that hit pretty good today. I think I need to work on it a little bit but for some reason it worked. I get all the way up to the point where they have the two piles on the table. If they say theyíre going to pick up the picture cards then Iím good to go and have them lay them out. If they say theyíre going to pick up the number cards. I say we are going take the picture cards and get rid of them. Then I told her to lay out all the picture cards. Just toss them on the table And spread them out so you can see them all. I said to her thereís something wrong. If you notice when you were separating the piles, You mustíve put a picture card in the number pile by accident. Which picture card is it. She named it and then I went on with the trick. Iím not sure why this worked so good But it was the best reaction Iíve received with Shadow Wallet. I think itís because they make the mistake. And itís so interactive that they really feel like they made a mistake by accidentally putting the picture card In the number pile. I donít know but try it and youíll see what I mean.

One last thing I was messing with is a bright orange get out of jail free card from scam school. And itís funny because on the other side it says itís totally valid in this state so it gets laughs. So you can say to them oh itís not valid in this state is it. Oh wait yes it is. But anyway this brings a very lighthearted feel to the whole thing. And itís very much my style. Anyway we do all this work to get them down to a card. It works perfectly because itís a small little card. I say Iím going to pull a single card out of my wallet. But as a I pull their thought of card the get out of jail free card is the card they actually see because that card is in the empty part of the wallet, the actual playing card is pulled out at same time but under it. This got a nice laugh today. Finally when they saw that blue card in contrast to the get out of jail free card they legit looked shocked. Then of course I revealed that I can save my get out of jail free card for another day. Which works perfectly. Because they get to see me put it back into an empty wallet. So there are my thoughts and what Iíve been messing around with using the wallet. I really wish there was a Facebook page where we can all get together and discuss routines and ideas. Because there are some fun things you can do with the SW.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4671 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Ordered looks awesome , not only the product but the tutorial sounds brilliant from Dee too . Good magic to all Gaz 😊
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Received mine today, halfway thru the instruction video. So far, so excellent! Well made, innocuous, clever thinking.
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1021 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Don't miss my chat with Dee Christopher where he shares EVERYTHING you want to know about the Shadow Wallet!

BernieSantos
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of BernieSantos
The PropDog review is up and I'm actually considering the Carbon Fibre version.

https://youtu.be/yW80R_fYeXs
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4671 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Does the tutorial come with the effect as I am awaiting the effect ie the wallet to arrive but others are talking on here about the tutorial looking great and they canít wait for the wallets arrival ? I paid merchant of magic for mine but have received no tutorial as of yet Gaz 😊
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
It comes with the effect.
A nice shop may send the details in advance.
May be it depends if they actually have it stock or get it in to order.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ SHADOW WALLET by Dee Christopher and 1914 ("I wholeheartedly recommend! -Joel Dickinson) (111 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL