The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 21 Cent Trick Not Nesting Properly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
240 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Hi, all.

I recently purchased a 21 Cent gimmick to play around with. It took some doing to get everything to unnest with the bang ring at first and trying to put it back together I can see why. The fit is very tight and I can't get it back together so that it nests without one side of it sticking up.

Did I get an overly tight fitting gimmick? Any suggestions for opening it up on my own or should I return it for a different set?

Thanks,

Dave
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
813 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
The one I have is not locking ,it is a smooth fitting 21 cent trick that when put together looks exactly like a nickel you could not tell the difference and I am not sure if they sell a locking one to be honest you may want to check with Johnson coin Magic and see what they say about there 21 cent gimmick .
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Obviously
The 21 cent trick is available in both locking and non-locking.
You may be able to loosen it just a tiny bit by seating and unseating it repeatedly. If you seat the insert while it is flat on a hard surface, you can probably get it to seat evenly, without the edge sticking up.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3292 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It is hard to get a good quality locking 21 cent trick. Seems to be hit and miss.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
630 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2021, Wilktone wrote:

I recently purchased a 21 Cent gimmick to play around with. It took some doing to get everything to unnest with the bang ring at first and trying to put it back together I can see why. The fit is very tight and I can't get it back together so that it nests without one side of it sticking up.

Out of curiosity, who's the maker/manufacturer?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
240 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I picked it up from Mad Hatter Magic Shop. It looks as if the manufacturer is Quality Magic, but I think they are just a resale/auction site. The customer service I've gotten from Bill at Mad Hatter, by the way, has been excellent. Bill checked the other ones he had in stock and confirmed that they were similar and offered to allow me to return my set for a credit, but it appears that as I unnest and renest the set it's getting loosened up, as Obviously suggested. It also seems to fit better if the two outer parts are aligned in a particular way and have a tighter fit if they are not, for what that's worth.

I tried the trick of nesting the set with a thin piece of cloth between as is sometimes used to open up a sticky shell, but the fit is tight enough that I can't get them to nest with the cloth between. If I get really impatient I supposed I could try to gently pry the outer shell piece a big more open, but I'm hesitant to do that and risk doing damage to it and having it not lock or otherwise not nest correctly.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
630 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2021, Wilktone wrote:
It also seems to fit better if the two outer parts are aligned in a particular way and have a tighter fit if they are not, for what that's worth.

Sounds out of round — as if a shell perhaps dropped edgewise onto a hard floor, or otherwise got its edge dinged slightly inward in just one particular spot.

Maybe if you look really closely, you might be able to barely make out a nearly imperceptible inward ding. If so, that could tell you where to perhaps try gently pushing or working just that bit of the rim back out a tiny hair with something round, like a small dowel rod or something.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 21 Cent Trick Not Nesting Properly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL