The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Arranging a Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
52 Posts

Profile of copperct
I've recently finished reading Scarne on Card Tricks and am pretty excited about some of the tricks that involve stacks. I'm trying to take inventory of the options I have for preparing stacks mid-routine. I have built a cull into my routine (currently using Hofzinser Cull), but I'm looking for another method (so as not to repeat the load) that I could use to prepare the deck.

Which books would people recommend I look into? I currently have the Card College series and ECT, but I haven't really found that elusive second method that would feel like it would work for me...

Currently, I am just preparing the second stack pre-routine and am not allowing the spectator to shuffle until I've unloaded those cards, but I'm hopeful there are other options.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2251 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You might ask this in "Shuffled not Stirred", where all the stack folk hang out.
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2572 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Apparently, some of the stack folk DO hang out here!! Smile
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
chappy
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of chappy
I heard the word stack. Is someone talking about stacks here?
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Copperct - Stacks is a huge topic. What sort of stack are you using? Full Deck Stack? Half Stack? Packet Stack (like zensational or 10-card poker deal)?

ps - I always check”workers” and “shuffled not stirred” for stack conversations. Smile
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
52 Posts

Profile of copperct
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2021, tom_stamm wrote:
Copperct - Stacks is a huge topic. What sort of stack are you using? Full Deck Stack? Half Stack? Packet Stack (like zensational or 10-card poker deal)?

ps - I always check”workers” and “shuffled not stirred” for stack conversations. Smile

Thanks for the help! This would be 4-8 cards, on the top/bottom of the deck. No full suit tricks, but I'm looking for a clean way of pulling the required cards out of a shuffled deck so the spectator may handle the deck earlier in the routine.
DerekG
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of DerekG
Not sure if this is helpful at all since I know you're already using one cull, but Kostya Kimlat sells materials on something he calls the Roadrunner Cull. I haven't bought it because simply watching him perform it screams to me that it's more advanced than what I'm ready for.
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
52 Posts

Profile of copperct
Funny you mention that DerekG, I was just looking into the Roadrunner Cull last night...

I think I scared people away with the wording using 'stack'. Really, I'm just looking for sleights that will allow me to re-arrange cards' placement within a deck! Nothing related to memorization here
Nikodemus
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
What about ULTERIOR by John Bannon? (Not sure which book/DVD it is in)
Ostensibly it is just a standard pick-a-card-find-the-card effect. But while performing that effect you set up the next one.
You don't even need to do any culling or other sleights - you just search through the deck looking for their card.
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
52 Posts

Profile of copperct
I will have to look into that. I think I found that trick on his Move Zero DVD. Very interesting. Thanks for the lead Nikodemus!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1613 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Here’s another ploy if the stack order is unimportant and your audience is made of 4 specs or more:

Have a break between your stack (8 cards) and the rest of the deck. Give the 1st, 2nd & 3rd specs about a ¼ of the deck each and the 4th spec your stack to shuffle.

Reassemble the deck and give it a last false shuffle. Your audience should be convinced that the deck has been thoroughly shuffled.

Even if your stack is only 4 cards, this will work. Hand 8 or 10 cards (included your stack) to the 4th spectator. After the shuffle, you can cull your stack out of the 10 cards and it should take only a few seconds.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Arranging a Stack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL