The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ricky Jays Poker Proposition? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Can anyone help with this. A few years back I just happened to turn the TV on and saw Ricky Jay, my favourite card man, on a TV show doing a trick. I was to late to record it. From memory, he was in a hotel room and his pal was going out and bringing back a sucker. The proposition was that the sucker could shuffle the pack and Ricky would just cut, the sucker could deal two poker hands one to himself and one to Ricky. Jay would bet twice the amount that sucker the bet on who had the best poker hand. Sucker after sucker came into the room and lost his money.
So what was this trick? Has it been published?
Thanks
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Ten Card Poker deal. Check Lorayne's Decksterity or Darwin Ortiz at the Card table ie "Mexican Poker".

Mike Vincent
London
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
If it is the ten card poker deal it started in on of the Dai Vernon Inner secrets of card magic. It was based off a swindle of a real card cheat. The card cheat used a stripper deck to get the ten desired cards to the top.

Loryane took this idea and made a great magic routine from it in Deckstarity...

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The 10 Card Poker Deal is one I keep telling myself to work on, but have yet to do so... I think it is one of the great effects of all time.

Any idea who INVENTED it ???
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Tommy,

It's funny I just watched a video with that in it yesterday. It had French subtitles and overdubs. Ricky got p***** when the first guy to play just couldn't follow the rules...he kicked him out of the room. It was great, and amazing!

Nathan Pain
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
I still remember that TV Special. Maybe you like or not Ricky Jay, but must confess that his style is very particular. Nathan I had also a funny time with the first guy Smile and I love a lot his plot about the Japanese samurai.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Nathan

Yes, that is the one. It was so funny and a great trick. When Jay actually keeps the suckers money they look stunned. What other magician would do that on TV?
He just kills me.
Do you know what the program was called? I would love to see it again.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
Maybe it was the televised version of "Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants" which ran on HBO.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
This was a Documentary made by BBC [English t,v station.It was called something like'Cards,Dice and Ricky Jay'. It did have a lot of things not on '52 Assistant's'.It was on about 3 years ago.[I'm sure when
Ricky Jay 'lost' his temper during the 10 card poker
deal it was just great acting.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
That's it, except my copy is called "Roi De La Magie"

NP

Posted: Jun 15, 2004 5:51pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And since I don't speak French the French overdubs are incredibly annoying, but the routines are still super neat!

NP
James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
I loved the routine in that special where he did a really simple force of a card by having the spectator remove cards from a ribbon spread, followed by a magicians choice. It amazed them, and he spun such a great story around it. That was a superb example of presentation being the key, the actual magic was pure simplicity!

Regards,
James Luff
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

- Gregory Benford
emptycupmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of emptycupmagic
I've heard Arthur Buckley's name originally associated with the Jonah card principle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ricky Jays Poker Proposition? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL