The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » LGBTQ Magicians + Patter (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2973 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, taranwandering wrote:
Thank you again for all of your feedback, everyone!

@DavidPaul$,
I understand that these issues frustrate you, and I hear the emotion in your concerns. I would be comfortable chatting about politics via private message if you'd like, but I'd prefer to sustain an entirely practical conversation for this thread that focuses on performing within LGBTQ spaces, please. This isn't an attempt to "cancel" your points-- I'll gladly listen to your perspective in a different thread or private message-- but I worry that once we start talking politics (and discussing a confirmation hearing is unavoidably political), we will lose any opportunity to continue this quite helpful conversation about preforming.

Also, thank you for sharing the gofundme link. I'll edit the first post to include your message, so that it reaches more people.

Thank you!

With "all due" respect my recent post wasn't about politics in totality. I wasn't in the least bit frustrated, rather passionate. It was about humanity and reality, culturally. I referenced "identity" and how we choose effects and patter in that vain. Even my Mr. Potato reference/ example could be used in a magic effect utilizing the popular Peanut Butter and Jelly transposition effect. I've stated what I felt was relevant and hopefully thought provoking as it pertains to your OP. I was not condesending. I respect you and wish you the "very best". I will now exit this thread.
Take care.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
42 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
I don't think anyone needs to, for example, hide the fact they have a same sex partner during performance.

Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, gaddy wrote:

It's entirely valid to talk about this subject, if the magician and the audience want to.

But what an audience wants is difficult to determine. I will carefully tip-toe now and mention that my understanding is NBA viewership declined by 50 percent when they added the sociopolitical messaging on the court, jerseys, etc. I believe much of society is super saturated with so much of this and wants entertainment to just be entertainment. Because sexual identity, sexual preference, and sociopolitical messaging are now very common in every corner of American culture, I avoid some entertainment I would otherwise support or engage in and know of others who do the same. While watching television I constantly mute commercial breaks as a way to maintain my sanity.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Sometimes you got to just make your stand. If people are receptive, you win. If people are not interested, you'll be talking to the wind.

My show is an expression of myself, not a commercial product. So I have a certain luxury that your typical cruise ship magician or kids show magician does not have, so of course YMMV.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
240 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, Dougini wrote:
Doesn't Jeff Hobson do a sort of "gay" act? Just wondering...

Doug

Just to clarify - my character came about one night when the audience thought I was gay when I mentioned my costume. I denied that I was gay and the audience started to laugh. The more I denied it, the more they laughed. So, my immediate tag-line became.... "I'm not. I'm not. I WAS. But, I'm not anymore." (I look at a man in audience) "But I could be again". It's meant to keep the audience questioning my sexuality which has happened for the last 30 years. I've taken the audiences perception and played on it. Is it a "gay act"? No. Am I a flamboyant character who keeps the audience questioning his sexual orientation? Yes. And you can thank one audience 30 years ago at a comedy club in Detroit for that inspiration.
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6927 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Excellent! Thank you Jeff! Your Egg Bag act KILLS me!

Doug
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3127 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, jeffhobson wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, Dougini wrote:
Doesn't Jeff Hobson do a sort of "gay" act? Just wondering...

Doug

Just to clarify - my character came about one night when the audience thought I was gay when I mentioned my costume. I denied that I was gay and the audience started to laugh. The more I denied it, the more they laughed. So, my immediate tag-line became.... "I'm not. I'm not. I WAS. But, I'm not anymore." (I look at a man in audience) "But I could be again". It's meant to keep the audience questioning my sexuality which has happened for the last 30 years. I've taken the audiences perception and played on it. Is it a "gay act"? No. Am I a flamboyant character who keeps the audience questioning his sexual orientation? Yes. And you can thank one audience 30 years ago at a comedy club in Detroit for that inspiration.

In the last decade or so, have you noticed any changing attitudes from the audience to this approach?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
50 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
^ great question, I'd love to know more about that, though I'm sure location matters a bit too
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2019 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I admit I haven't read this whole thread. I read about half of page one. So perhaps what I'm going to say has already been addressed. If so, ignore it and move on.

Taran, first a little bit about me. One of my three children first identified as bisexual about 3 years ago. And two weeks ago, that same child came out as transgender. I am coming at this from the role of a supportive outsider, but family of someone who is LGBTQ. Just so you know my perspective. I know my kid felt safe coming out to me and my wife because we have long had friends who are gay and raised all our kids to think of it as just a small part of who a person is. Frankly, I care a lot more about a couple's garden than their bedroom, regardless of whether they are both the same sex or not. For most of our gay friends, the subject of their relationship is no more a part of regular conversation or consideration than is the case with our straight friends. One day, I hope the whole world thinks that way, but I know right now the people in my life who are not straight do need allies.

That said, some of what I say may be tonedeaf. I'm still making silly gaffes in what I say and probably always will. Understand that I'm not trying to stereotype or project. I'm just putting my stream of consciousness thoughts onto a computer screen for people I don't even know to read them.

I think you need to perform in whatever way is most genuine to yourself. I look forward to the day when sexuality is a total non-issue, but we are not there yet. If your genuine self is best off making a point of your sexual identity, then do that. If you someday reach the point where the subject is a non-issue, don't trap yourself in a position of always having to perform with a message. For now, it is pretty clear that you need to express this aspect of who you are in what you perform. If this were not so, you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

Niche performance does exist. And for good reason. There are magicians who make a living with acts that portray particular characters. Would you hire these for an event where you just want the kids entertained? Probably not. But if you want a big Harry Potter party with a magician who will be the real make-or-break focal point of the party, there are niche performers who you can hire who will deliver. Consider Christian Cagigal. One of my absolute favorite performers. I doubt most folks would have looked at his act and said "yeah, that's commercial and he will make a living with that material." And yet, he does.
Really, any magician who achieves real success does so because of being different from the pack. If you just want to be a cookie cutter copy of another magician, a pathetic parody, then avoid injecting yourself into your act. But if you want to be successful, you need to reflect who you are in what you do. I don't honestly know what sort of market there is outside of Fairbanks Alaska, so can't really suggest how to market yourself if you want to make money at it. And if you don't want to make money at it, that's great, too, because it frees you from that potential concern entirely.

I can imagine all sorts of routines that I would find fun, but since I'm on the outside, I don't know what would be potentially offensive. I think of cups and balls with each ball named something like Tom, Richard, and Harry. Raise your eyebrows whenever you say Richard. One by one, they sneak into the same cup. Which really isn't right at all. Nope, not a bit of it! Why should they feel the need to sneak around? To hide themselves? At the end, lift the cups to show the final balls are all spangly and sparkly because Tom, Richard, and Harriet have all embraced the awesome and flamboyant people they really were inside all along. Again, that might be offensive or preachy if done wrong, but I think I'd enjoy watching it.

A rope routine can include a moment when you stretch the rope out to the side with one hand about the middle, then slide that hand closer to the other one, giving the effect of the rope drooping from horizontal to hanging down. Pause and say to the audience "It happens to all of us." And otherwise go on. But when it comes time to cut the rope, cringe and look away for a moment. Played as a gag, I think this could really be funny in the right hands.

I think that when you find your voice, you'll find that there are a lot of people who will enjoy your performing. I know I'd get a tremendous kick out of this theme, myself.

-Patrick
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Well said Mr. Woolery
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
I’m going to offer possibly a unique perspective. I find that sometimes my identity can be used to my advantage, as if I make some remark letting onto it, the typical man will be startled for a great moment of misdirection. As they consider this, I’ve done the move. Just something to consider! I don’t have much to say on the rest of this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » LGBTQ Magicians + Patter (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL