The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Grandfathers top Adam Wilbur (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2447 Posts

Profile of magicmind
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4145 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Looks cool
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Very nice! Definitely adds a nice emotional touch to the usual levitation. The top spinning while floating is definitely visually interesting and magical as well. While the vanish and reappearance to the impossible location adds a great kicker. Lots of good stuff going on here for a complete routine.

I do wonder about the set up. How easy is it to get in and out of? Hoping it could be pretty impromptu in the the sense that you can have it on you and get into it when needed pretty easily.

Also, I can't tell if the vanish is extremely obvious or quite deceiving! In one example of the demo, it seems pretty fair. Being able to show hands and arms pretty open. Other instances not so much. Not fishing here but is a long sleeve/hoodie required?

Any insights into these two aspects would be appreciated. Definitely interested in getting this.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
It looks like this would need to be the last thing you do and then you have to walk away backwards if you don't want them seeing the vanished top.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4145 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Why am I guessing this will be another thread effect I buy and never use? I have so many levitation effects lying around that I’ve never even opened....but I know I’ll end up buying this anyway
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
398 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
I really like the premise of the effect. Curious as to the hook-up for this.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2191 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Why am I guessing this will be another thread effect I buy and never use? I have so many levitation effects lying around that I’ve never even opened....but I know I’ll end up buying this anyway

Ha, me too! I just always have such bad luck with effects using this gimmick.
davfreeman
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davfreeman
The site says it is sold out. Anyone know when more will be available?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ Bummer. Could have sworn it wasn't sold out earlier in the day when I checked it out. Should have just bought it then if so.

Here is something I gleaned from Adam Wilburs Instagram feed with regard to the vanish. He says:
"...comes with everything you need to perform it. If you want to do the wave vanish at the end you’ll an additional item that most magicians already have but we teach other ways to vanish it as well"
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2447 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, emyers99 wrote:

I like the idea of this, but I think the over-use of floating the thing, for me, would lose the wow factor of the story/item.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5388 Posts

Profile of RNK
Reminds me of the (can't remember the creator- possibly Ryan Shultz) floating quarter method for the levitation part.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2447 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2021, RNK wrote:
Reminds me of the (can't remember the creator- possibly Ryan Shultz) floating quarter method for the levitation part.
I feel the float method is that, which was the Fearson set-up. However, the item is interesting and I'm sure it lends itself to a good storyline.
Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5388 Posts

Profile of RNK
Agree, the prop can definitely fit that storyline. I love the added vanish at then end. Not sure if I would make it reappear, possibly.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2191 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Wow, this sure sold out quickly!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9075 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Perhaps thinking as a magician but this, and similar floating effects using IT look so blindingly obvious to me.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5388 Posts

Profile of RNK
Of course if you thinking like a magician. I think even non-magicians with common sense figure as much. It's simply the visual nature of it and I candy that intrigues most.
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
398 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Looks like this is getting a wide release through Murphy's. Intrigued to hear people's thoughts/reviews on this.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1267 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
I love levitations and IT but I am not sure about this one.
The object really looks nostalgic and with further aging it could be much better.

Maybe it would be already enough to spin it in the hand and let it float just a few millimeters above it.
The dangling, vanish and re-appearance seems overkill. Less is more.
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
105 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Agree with Pegasus,. Note the promo doesn’t show it floating “all around your body.” Looks like traditional Fearson hookup with a top rather than cigarette.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4145 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I got bored and ordered it. Arrives Monday. I’ll let you know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Grandfathers top Adam Wilbur (35 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL