The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » POISON by Nikolas Mavresis (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, mikenewman wrote:
Love the concept (drinks)....

For me. It is just way too confusing. Too much going on. Colors, markers, the dealing, stacking, placing the markers on the stacking... colors match the drink colors, then the 1st letters.... and so on.
I would have to go SUPER slow to help them understand and get what is happening.
DEF can't do this at a bar!!!! Which is what I would want, using the drink theme.

That's just me though. VERY well done to put this together and I know the quality will be great, and explanations excellent I'm sure.

The collector is AWESOME! And a bit more simpler IMHO.
I really wanted to like this.

Is there simpler handling maybe?

I agree. The demonstration was long-winded with too much dealing and a tad confusing. The whole thing needs to be simplified - and perhaps one of the other routines could be shown.

For me, I will be sticking with The Collector, which is an absolute gem, but unless I can be tempted by a different routine, I'll be giving this a miss.

Neil
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Loved the Collector, but very disappointed with his Mentalism Download, video quality absolutely the worse I have ever purchased,i know we are in a lock down but recorded on a mobile phone ,kept cutting out freezing, learnt nothing from it,i gave up kept trying but the frustration of keep going back ,shame as looked to be some good stuff in it from what I could watch.
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:

For me. It is just way too confusing. Too much going on. Colors, markers, the dealing, stacking, placing the markers on the stacking... colors match the drink colors, then the 1st letters.... and so on.
I would have to go SUPER slow to help them understand and get what is happening.
DEF can't do this at a bar!!!! Which is what I would want, using the drink theme.

That's just me though. VERY well done to put this together and I know the quality will be great, and explanations excellent I'm sure.

Hey there. I partly agree with you. There are other, simpler routines explained in the download. Personally, I like to perform the "Staying Alive" routine but tastes differ. Having said that, I don't agree that the main routine is confusing for the spectators. They always follow what's going on.

Nikolas
BIGGER | PROFILE | Pr3miere | PortraIT | The Blessing | FORTUNA | Personality | Memories | The A Project | Stroop Test | CineMental | The Collector | Sumology | Zener Match | Spellebrity | Destinations | POISON |

www.mavresis.com/shop
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
I also don't understand why we are comparing the Collector to this? They are 2 completely different effects Smile
BIGGER | PROFILE | Pr3miere | PortraIT | The Blessing | FORTUNA | Personality | Memories | The A Project | Stroop Test | CineMental | The Collector | Sumology | Zener Match | Spellebrity | Destinations | POISON |

www.mavresis.com/shop
tomdeg
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Ordered BOTH, Pro & Poker size... Looking forward to it.
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, NeilS wrote:
Quote:

I agree. The demonstration was long-winded with too much dealing and a tad confusing. The whole thing needs to be simplified - and perhaps one of the other routines could be shown.

For me, I will be sticking with The Collector, which is an absolute gem, but unless I can be tempted by a different routine, I'll be giving this a miss.

Neil

Hey Neil, thanks for your input. In the download, I explain another routine called "Staying Alive" which is much simpler.

www.mavresis.com/shop
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, tomdeg wrote:
Ordered BOTH, Pro & Poker size... Looking forward to it.

Thanks so much Smile Hope you like it

www.mavresis.com/shop
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
I agree. Nice premise but too much going on for today’s 10 second attention spans.

Hi there. I see what you mean and I partly agree with you. This is certainly not a strolling trick. I would use it as a closer to a parlour set. You need to take your time with this, and if you do, I guarantee that you will get very strong reactions. Having said that, in the download Peter and I, do teach simpler versions.

Nikolas

www.mavresis.com/shop
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, mavresis_n wrote:
I also don't understand why we are comparing the Collector to this? They are 2 completely different effects Smile

Sorry.
Was just saying that I love The Collector as it is much easier to follow. Yes, completely different. Agree 100%
However, we can and all do compare effects that we may want to use and perform with. This one, you must have someone that has a long attention span and is able to follow along very closely.

In the trailer, he does say "from the creator that created..... The Collector" so it reminded me that you also created it, an awesome effect! That's why I mentioned it. You created both. You are VERY talented.

Would love to see the other routines with this. Keep it simple.
As I said, I like the idea... but it is far too much to follow..... obviously I am not alone in this perception.

But yes, these are both VERY different effects that are not alike.

Looking forward to many more from you for sure.

Respectively
Mike Newman
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Can you show us the "Staying Alive" version?

I'm interested...

Thanks!
Mike
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, mikenewman wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, mavresis_n wrote:

Sorry.
Was just saying that I love The Collector as it is much easier to follow. Yes, completely different. Agree 100%
However, we can and all do compare effects that we may want to use and perform with. This one, you must have someone that has a long attention span and is able to follow along very closely.

In the trailer, he does say "from the creator that created..... The Collector" so it reminded me that you also created it, an awesome effect! That's why I mentioned it. You created both. You are VERY talented.

Would love to see the other routines with this. Keep it simple.
As I said, I like the idea... but it is far too much to follow..... obviously I am not alone in this perception.

But yes, these are both VERY different effects that are not alike.

Looking forward to many more from you for sure.

Respectively
Mike Newman

Not a problem Mike. Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it! You were not the only one to mention the Collector, that's why I said what I said. I mean I obviously love the Collector, but this is a thread about "Poison" Smile. I don't think that Alakazam is going to create another trailer for Poison, showing the "Staying Alive" routine. I understand that some people find the routine to be a bit lenghty, but I think under the right circumstances (closer at a parlour show, for example), it kills.

www.mavresis.com/shop
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
It is a shame if Alakazam are not going to create another trailer. By not doing so, they are going to miss out on a lot of sales.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
So it sounds like Alakazam may have misjudged as to which version to film for the trailer.
My guess is they will add another filmed version soon as it seems it would help purchasers to see more value in this product.
I realize the current pandemic makes it more difficult to show actual performances but it can still be done fairly easily and inexpensively.
Pixelated
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Hi, just to clarify that Staying Alive isn't another version of the routine, but a different routine using the cards.

I've always got good reactions from gemini twins style effects, so have ordered this and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, mavresis_n wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, geggy wrote:
Saw the launch, the reveals are very clever..but as has been mentioned, the dealing procedure and gathering of the deck,before showing ' selected 'cards is the weak part.

It's a run of the mill card trick dressed up with the cocktail theme.The multiple reveals are very clever for the climax, but same outcome every time is a turn off for me as only show to friends and family.
Great for pros tho, if they choose to use it.

Hi there! During the explanation, I offer 2 small things/changes that I like to do during that procedure, that transform the whole thing. The procedure now, makes sense. I wish I could say more, haha.

The extra changes in my opinion make a huge difference to the trick in my opinion and I don’t mind that they were left out of the trailer. The trailer was pretty fair and if you bought it from the trailer you would be more than happy to learn the simple subtleties that really make the spectator think what if.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, westo wrote:
Pro size a bit bigger

Yes I assumed that. Anyone have measurements?
magikmax
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
113 Posts

Profile of magikmax
I really like this. I think more could have been made in the trailer of the modular nature of this - you are given several different routines of different lengths, one of which you could perform in different performing situations. Got the time and attention? Do the full routine (which I personally don't think is overly long-winded or unnecessarily procedural, but your mileage may vary...). Strolling and need something quick? It comes with the cards to perform a drink themed version of Emerson & West's Poker monte with either a poison or tap water finish, or a quick PATEO style routine. Something in between? the Clock Trick like Liam Montier's Zodiac Revelation with the cards, or even a Do As I Do (What A Turn Up by Harry Baron) style trick with two small packets. You'll need an understanding of the last two tricks as explanations for those two particular ones aren't included, but with a little thought, several different 'standard' packet style routines can be adapted with the cards. While the main routine is ungimmicked, you do receive necessary gimmicked cards to perform a wild card effect, and some blank prediction cards should you wish to write your own. The inclusion of the extra cards adds a fair bit of extra value.

In my opinion another winner from Mr Mavresis. I don't own Cinemental, but I do have all his Alakazam releases, and while I can personally take or leave Zenner Match - The Collector, Destinations and now Poison are all really solid.
magikmax
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
113 Posts

Profile of magikmax
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, magicmind wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, westo wrote:
Pro size a bit bigger

Yes I assumed that. Anyone have measurements?

The measurements of the Pro size are approximately 108mm x 77mm, compared with approx 89mm x 56mm for standard Poker size. For any board gamers out there, they are just slightly bigger than the cards used in 7 Wonders. If you are planning on doing the standard routine in a parlour setting, I would go for the Pro size, otherwise I would recommend the poker size, particularly if you're likely to do any packet style tricks with the extra cards.

The pro size is not the same as a standard jumbo card, it's kind of a happy medium. You get a bigger card which can be seen further away, however they obviously take up more table space, and you can't just fit them in a standard packet trick wallet like you can with normal cards. I think the Pro size work great for tricks displaying maybe four or five cards upright (like Symbol by Steve Cook or Clued Up by Jamie Daws) but when you start adding a second row, or cards are being dealt into piles rather than just displayed, the extra size can be a little cumbersome.
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, magikmax wrote:
I really like this. I think more could have been made in the trailer of the modular nature of this - you are given several different routines of different lengths, one of which you could perform in different performing situations. Got the time and attention? Do the full routine (which I personally don't think is overly long-winded or unnecessarily procedural, but your mileage may vary...). Strolling and need something quick? It comes with the cards to perform a drink themed version of Emerson & West's Poker monte with either a poison or tap water finish, or a quick PATEO style routine. Something in between? the Clock Trick like Liam Montier's Zodiac Revelation with the cards, or even a Do As I Do (What A Turn Up by Harry Baron) style trick with two small packets. You'll need an understanding of the last two tricks as explanations for those two particular ones aren't included, but with a little thought, several different 'standard' packet style routines can be adapted with the cards. While the main routine is ungimmicked, you do receive necessary gimmicked cards to perform a wild card effect, and some blank prediction cards should you wish to write your own. The inclusion of the extra cards adds a fair bit of extra value.

In my opinion another winner from Mr Mavresis. I don't own Cinemental, but I do have all his Alakazam releases, and while I can personally take or leave Zenner Match - The Collector, Destinations and now Poison are all really solid.

Really like your comment! "Got the time and attention? Do the full routine". If people think that Simon Aronson's Shuffleboard is long-winded, then don't do the main routine. My opinion is that the payoff is so strong, that it's worth performing it.

www.mavresis.com/shop
harris1850
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of harris1850
Nice cards and a routine that will fool laypeople, not magicians. For multiple endings borrow some cards from from the deck you bought when you were just starting out in magic. For me, too expensive for only one ending.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » POISON by Nikolas Mavresis (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL