The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance notebook (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
About 5 years ago I started a performance log. Even if I share a brief effect such as card warp, I usually jot it down in a notebook and take a couple of minutes to acknowledge what went well and what went wrong, and suggestions for the future. Notes about equipment, gimmicks, patter, angles, or other aspects of presentation. In addition to creating a helpful reference, it makes for a nice diary. I recommend this and assume some other performers engage in a similar practice?
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Great idea. I might start doing this.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

https://www.lybrary.com/ivy-p-925586.html
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Take a look at "The Magic of Michael Ammar". He's got a whole section of the book devoted to this practice!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
davfreeman
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of davfreeman
That is a great idea.
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2021, gaddy wrote:

Take a look at "The Magic of Michael Ammar". He's got a whole section of the book devoted to this practice!

Thanks for the tip!
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
I do this with every gig I perform at, but on my computer/phone instead of in a notebook.
I list down my set list and the individual tricks, then do a reflection with the positives and negatives I experienced from that performance.
I work on the negatives to eliminate them and try to recreate the positives where possible for next time.

It's always good to be able to go back and see what worked, what needs to be refined etc...
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
86 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
Idk about you guys but I'm at the point where I'm always forgetting some older but still great tricks I used to do; I've started keeping a journal of effects I know that I can reference whenever I'm looking to jog the memory.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2021, michaelpenkul wrote:
Idk about you guys but I'm at the point where I'm always forgetting some older but still great tricks I used to do; I've started keeping a journal of effects I know that I can reference whenever I'm looking to jog the memory.

LOL! When I hear people tell me about some of the tricks that I apparently did for them long ago I often think to myself: "Wait... I knew how to do that? Huh!"
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
Remember a video I watched also advised recording your shows. When listening back to the recording it can help you evaluate your patter and any downtime in your routines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance notebook (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL