The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The real cost of illusions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
We recently interviewed Rick and Susan Wilcox. They have a fantastic 500 seat theater in the Wisconsin Dells. They have performed too many to count large scale illusions. Many people think that illusions are easy. Just pay the money, push it around on stage, and boom instant applause. Katalina and I had the opportunity to perform a large illusion over the course of a week long run. We performed the illusion about 20 times. To make an illusion strong every action must be smooth and deliberate. You quickly find that this is not as easy as it looks. It is much easier to stumble, fumble, and look pedestrian than it is to look polished and smooth. It took us about 15 shows before we felt we were starting to become proficient.

Katalina and I do not perform large illusions in our show. However, it was a blast to experience that part of magic for a week. In the interview with Rick & Susan Wilcox, I learned there is soooo much more than just buying an illusion and walking through it. How many of you are interested in performing a large illusions show? I will be interested in your feedback.

Interview at:

Facebook.com/magicbusinesspodcast
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Rick and Susan have a heck of a show. I saw their show two years ago and spent time with them. It is a well oiled machine.

Your points are right on about doing illusions. Rick and Susan are some of the very few who can make illusions play and seem seamless in performance with a minimum of people. John Bundy and Morgan are another duo who make it work. It is more than just the physical prop it is personality also. With out that, it just does not matter. You have to realize that the actual performance of the illusion is very small in on stage run time. You have to put the dressing around it to make it all work and get some time from it.

Good topic. There is so much more to illusions than most people or magicians realize.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2495 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
A wonderful post. There is a huge difference between really proficient illusionists who can dominate the prop on stage and those that are simply furniture movers and illusion demonstrators.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
I agree. There is a big difference in the manner that a working pro versus the one gig furniture mover conveys the illusion(s) presentation.

It takes some serious rehearsal time and plenty of live performances to get it to a point that makes the illusion seem flawless. I can't tell you how many times I sat in the back of the Magic Castle Palace theater with Billy McComb watching magician after magician on stage. The polished ones were the working magicians that had nightly audiences standing on their feet such as Kevin James, Jonathan Pendragon, Franz Harary and Chuck Jones. They understood how to command attention and cue the applauses. How to properly move in and roll out props to move on to other illusions. Their assistants knew were to stand and when to strike a pose. The ones hired on for one week who were part timers or newbies to the stage were fumbling repeatedly with the illusion props and sometimes flashing inadvertently. Even from the full-on front angles.

As Franz once told me, in order to make illusions a full time occupation, you better have a very rich uncle who likes magic to support you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The real cost of illusions (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL