The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » FTF - Finger Through Fork - Axel Hecklau (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
I'm a big fan of Axel; I have almost all of his products, and they're top notch. He has a new one out that is a download with printable pdf thet looks great. Check it out:

https://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/......N¤cy=USD
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4114 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have this. I also have Matthew Johnson's original pen through finger which is fantastic. I didn't really think I'd be interested in a variation but I'm a huge Axel fan so I took the plunge. Axel's variation uses an ungimmicked fork and a "finger card". The fork allows for a clever and very clean first phase that can't be done with a pen or a knife. The use of the finger card instead of a playing card or basic business card adds a nice visual that sells the impossibility of the illusion even further. The new first phase is easy to do and looks great. More importantly, it serves as a nice throw off. If people think they've figured out the first phase (unlikely but possible), you immediately go into the second phase which totally destroys what the spectator might be thinking in terms of method. Phase 2 is the same as Johnson's original, but the use of the fork makes it look and feel more impossible.

Matthew's original version was close to a perfect illusion. One of Matthew's best creations. Axel's additions ramp it up to the next level. It's as close to a perfect illusion as you will likely find. Even more amazing given there are no gimmicks. So it's essentially impromptu.

Axel's download is roughly 40 minutes. Roughly 20 min was discussing the psychology of the effect and I thought that part was mostly fluff. I would have rather seen more teaching on the mechanics. For example, some shots from underneath would have been beneficial for people that aren't familiar with Matthew's original. Matthew's teaching is more detailed and worth picking up as well. That said, I think Axel's teaching is clear enough for people to pick up the necessary moves.

The download also comes with several templates for printing your own finger cards. Axel includes several version for different skin tones and for both US and international paper sizes. He also includes photoshop templates if you want to use an image of your own finger. All nice touches that went the extra mile.

All in all, an already brilliant illusion is taken to the next level.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Just to keep the crediting history correct, this idea originates with Peter Kane who released his wonderful effect 'Finger Impailer' waaaaay back in the late 1980's Smile

Thankfully these credits are given by Matthew and Alex on their product page too Smile

Best Wishes to All

Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
BTW, I accidentally transposed words in the title; the correct title is "Fork through Finger"
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1912 Posts

Profile of Platt
Looks great. If I saw this live I could see it being a fooler. How convincing do you think it would look with just a white business card or napkin? The gimmick-free nature of this almost becomes meaningless if you need the printed finger.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Ha! Looks great!! Can't wait to read some reviews.....
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Actually, sorry Eric and thank you for your review, I meant some more reviews, lol....I have Mathew's Pen Thru Finger and love it!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4114 Posts

Profile of emyers99
U don’t need the finger card but it does add a nice visual element IMO. But you can easily use a business card. Probably won’t work with a napkin because the fork is meaty and would probably destroy the napkin too easily. Card should work but a fork has more resistance than a pen. So pulling a fork through a card might be too difficult
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1636 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
In watching the Fork Through Finger trailer on Vimeo, I came across a message from Matt Johnson concerning Axel's release. Just thought I'd share as it seemed relevant. I'd tell you what he said, but that would spoil the surprise...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of academy
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
In watching the Fork Through Finger trailer on Vimeo, I came across a message from Matt Johnson concerning Axel's release. Just thought I'd share as it seemed relevant. I'd tell you what he said, but that would spoil the surprise...

It is the same message you find in the link attached at the beginning of the post.

puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:

Fair play to Matt Johnson (and Axel) - nice to see.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, puggo wrote:
Quote:

Fair play to Matt Johnson (and Axel) - nice to see.

It is very nice to see that. Though I am wondering how much Alex really could have added to this effect. Maybe I am wrong but the main move IS the main move. Hmm... Very intrigued....
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I was fortunate enough to see Axel Hecklau perform FTF in person at Blackpool last year. It is exceptional. Even if you are familiar with Peter Kane's "Finger Impaler" or Matthew Johnson's "Pen Through Finger," you will be very pleased with FTF and probably will end up using Axel's handling.

Axel approached Matthew Johnson prior to releasing his version for his blessing. Matthew was delighted and not only encouraged Axel to release it but gave a raving review as well. 

Axel uses two phases with very different methods so they kind of cancel each other out as far as any possible explanation. He uses a printed finger cover card that emphasizes where the finger is. It's a great touch. It is certainly not required to do his routine.  But consider using it as it as it adds clarity. Every detail is there in FTF in typical Axel Hecklau fashion. 

I love Axel's thinking. If you are not familiar with his work, I strongly recommend you look at his Penguin Live lecture or any of his other products he offers directly. He thinks about every little detail. He is a working pro so brings his vast experience to anything he releases. If you enjoy his work you will love (and use) FTF. Strongly recommended. 

Tim Trono
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4114 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree with RNK that the main move in this version is still the primary Kane/Johnson move and that was my biggest question when buying this. Is this enough of a variation to warrant releasing a new download? Most people looking at this will ask the same question. Ultimately, I think it does as I state above. The new addition will be viewed by some as minor but I like it because it is very visual and it makes the overall method more difficult for spectators to reconstruct.
MrFinix
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MrFinix
It is so sad that some magicians make small changes to effects that have already been released and then release them as a new download. In doing so, they harm magic and themselves.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1636 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
It's not sad at all. What you are referring to is called progress, not harm. Proper credit is given. Proper blessings have been granted. Now the magic community has another different and improved option to choose from, which is better for everyone.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
MrFinix
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MrFinix
I totally respect your opinion. I think every magician who publishes something for the magic community should have a certain amount of originality as a claim. If this download reflects his originality, that is perfectly fine. It is not enough for me.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5134 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with Kaliix. It's progress. Small incremental changes can spur on other ideas and each builds on the other.
Just think how many effects we wouldn't currently have if small changes were not allowed to be published, released, or made public.
It often leads to huge changes and the creation of an entirely different effect or method. If we had to wait until that point was reached we may never get there.

Not sure exactly what your problem is with this? What harm is being done?
Axel fully credits those before him and received permission as well.

Sometimes this magic policing goes too far. Since you are not a part of the legacy of this effect then you really have no say here and for you to cast a negative light upon it, as if Axel is stealing someone else's effect or just trying to make a quick buck off it, is wrong and unfair. You may not have intended it that way but the tone of your post may lead some to believe that Axel has done something wrong.
MrFinix
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MrFinix
Dear videoman. You are right about a few points. It is just an observation that the magic market has been flooded with such apparently "new effects" (or new versions) in recent years. It's more of a general problem in magic.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2049 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
The "finger card" may seem like a small addition to some, but for me it's a game-changer. I could see using it as a tie-in with the "fake hand illusion":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG22iFL-VgE
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » FTF - Finger Through Fork - Axel Hecklau (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL