The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Possible History of Hiatt and its Birmingham Competitors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lauher
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
51 Posts

Profile of lauher
All of you familiar with the history of escapes will recognize the importance of the British Handcuff companies. Houdini made them famous in his shows and writings. The major companies whose products Houdini encountered would have been Hiatt, Froggatt and Field. Only Hiatt survives today.

Much of the history of these companies and their wares has been rather obscure.

The Hiatt company (UK) and Hiatt-Thompson (USA) web sites spin a tale about a “Mr. Hiat” with one “T” who founded the company in Birmingham on Masshouse Lane in 1780. Unfortunately most of this familiar story seems to be myth.

I have just posted an article on the Handcuffs.Org web site outlining some of my research into the history of Hiatt and its Birmingham competitors.

Enjoy

Joe
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Joe,

As I am currently living in Birmingham, England have found this most interesting. I haven't managed to read it all as yet so I've saved the page to my computer. I hope you don't mind.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
Joe,
Thanks for all the hard work in gathering your information. I was honored to have seen and read your reasearch-in-progress in Indy. FANTASTIC. It is so valuable to preserve the history, sort fact from myth, and share what we learn with each other. Thanks again Joe, GREAT job! John Bushey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Possible History of Hiatt and its Birmingham Competitors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL