The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Cakes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Good afternoon fellow magicians,

I have been a professional magician for many years and just recently began baking cakes. I started doing antigravity cakes as they looked super cool and I loved the illusion. WHat other magic principles could I add to ¨cakes¨? Magnets, levitation, etc.

I am looking to start a creative discussion on how to apply magic and illusions to cakes. MOds, if I am in the wrong section please feel free to move my topic.

Thanks,

TheMag1cian
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9002 Posts

Profile of funsway
Some of my first effects as a kid was "baking a cake in a hat" since I could build some of the props. It always played well. (1956)

with baseball caps it might have to be a cupcake.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at Lybrary.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Maybe a forced perspective illusion?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, gaddy wrote:
Maybe a forced perspective illusion?

You’ve got my attention. All ears. Could you please elaborate?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I wish I could!

I don't think it's ever been done before, so I think the sky's the limit on your imagination, here.

Maybe put a stretched-out picture on the cake that only comes into focus from one viewpoint? Or two fondant objects that interact with each other when viewed from a certain angle?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Cross section of the cake is 3 Smile . Force a card. Now, take a slice any slice...
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Brilliant, Landmark!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3455 Posts

Profile of Julie
Restored bill/card in the Cake, Cake Monte (Twinkies & Hostess Cup Cakes), mushed & restored cake, (forced) number of birthday candles on cake, fruit changes to real fruitcake (or vice versa), chocolate bars change into chocolate syrup or chocolate frosting; PLUS you might consider some effects using cooking utensils...and there's always the Chef's Hat.

Julie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am not that kind of guy: I am a card guy, not a cake guy. I could however do a cake through the table, if the cake was in is a sealed box or wrapped up. The cake scene in Once Upon a Time in America springs to mind. You can't have your cake and eat it, as they say: unless you are a magician.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
Our magic is nonsense conjured up by a wonderful science.

To create nonsense, exaggerate the effect.

To create magic manifest the nonsense.

The effect of eating cake is essentially growth:

After she ate the entire cake, she grew so large that her head struck against the ceiling in the hall.
The effect is a matter of mechanics.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/375909900121462817/

Cakes are fattening.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
It’s more like illusion cakes. i.e..Antigravity, levitating candles or other floating objects using strong IT, magnets, etc.

I’m not looking for an act or an elaborate effect to be associated with it. Simply a visually stunning, impossible looking cake using clever gimmicks. I’ve made a few and they were huge hits. Mainly jars of Nutella, bags of m&m’s, etc in mid air floating over the cake pouring its contents all over it. I’ll attach an example.

I’d like to put some of our clever gimmicks to use for this and would love your great minds to percolate some neat ideas.

Thanks again for your help.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Dayuuuum I thought for sure Id find some info here.

Can mode perhaps move this post to the workshop?
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I have an effect idea ... not sure of the method. Three plain cake layers of some similar thickness are stacked on a cake plate. Each layer, discussing how much cakes are improved by the addition of decoration. Once assembled, slow spin the cake on the stand, wave the "Magic Offset Spatula", or whatever, and glaze oozes up from the middle of the top and over the cake top & sides. Would take some sort of pouch baked or loaded into the top layer, then a micro-pump of some sort to send out a small tube, lightly camouflaged with a plug of cake. Then one of your productions to make sprinkles scatter across the top. Slice a piece to share with an audience member as a convincer. ... leave a section clear of any "business" that you can serve.

I could see a potential for basic routine ... assemble and glaze cake ... levitate the sprinkles onto it ... antigravity cake ... finale convincer serving the cake to show it ain't hinky, mentioning that "some people think there's something in the cake". Just thoughts.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Cakes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL