The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Best Kids Show Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The magic line works for me, I tell them that if they cross it when they wake up in the morning if they're a girl they'll have turned into a boy, and vice versa.

I use bribery and coruption as a control method. Imake a large multi balloon animal which I introduce at the start of the show, and the tell the children that it's going to sit on the side and watch them and at the end of the show it will tell me which has been the bestest behaved loudest magic word shouter. and that's who he will go home with.

If your doing balloon models for the helpers during the show, don't let them take them back to their seat, after they've bowed and been clapped, take it off them so and put it to one side untill after the show.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
At the end of a birthday party show. I show a silent 8mm cartoon. It is only a few minutes long but long enough to get packed and paid.

I find that the novelity on a old movie projector will really hold there attention and out of your way.

I also use the old cartoon film as marketing tool.

I got this idea from Nathan Burton using it when he was performing Birthday shows.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Great stuff all, heres some things I have learned from doing well over 2000 kids shows!
number one and most important, you must tell the kids how they are supposed to act during your performance! Lots of these kids have never seen a live performance before and do not know how to act, so explain to them that when you are talking they need to listen quietly because if they can not hear you they may miss something really important, explain to them when it is appropriate to yell out the magic words and when its not, when it is appropriate to clap and go yeah and when it is not........I have posted this in the past and a lot of disagreed with me and in writing it may sound kind of authoratative but it is all done in a fun manner but it really works..........if one of the kids does get real excited and starts talking the other kids usually ask him to be quiet so they don't miss anything!you will find that 99 percent of all kid show performers that are professionals do this(David,Ginn, Sammy Smith,Steve Taylor etc.)
the tape line does work really well butttttttt I would really avoid saying things like if you cross the line the invisible frog will eat you......especially if there are younger kids in the audience this will frighten them(remember these kids still think there are invisible frogs and monsters under the bed) I had a principal one time(I was performing for a kindergarden class) say in a very loud and stearn voice "if any on mis behaves the magician is going to cut you in half and then make each half disappear! the kids were terrified it took me 15 minutes just to get them to have a little fun! I have also started using small orange cones as a front line with DO NOT TOUCH labels on them(I do a lot of expensive homes for b-days and I do not feel comfortable putting masking tape on the floor, same with schools and daycares)you may not know this but masking tape will take wax off the floor, plus with the cones you can hide something under one of the cones and make a duplicate disappear then reapper under the cone right in front of the childre....they love it!
and finally don't take yourself so seriously.......have fun! I know that is why I love performing for the kids, I get to have fun and see their smiles! its contagious!
Greg
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Have Fun!
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Gee, a thread with good advice.
I have found that your “starting trick” is very inportant. It really sets the tone of interaction you want from the kids. Any of the sucker type children’s tricks work well with this in mind.

I also picked up rolls of “crime scene type tape” that says “Children’s Magic Show” printed on it. I tell then to stay on the other side so they can see everything, unless I ask them to cline under it, which I do often. This will keep them from climbing all over you. But having them cross the line when you ask them to, keeps their energy from overwhelming you.

Bob

PS: If I ever decide on guitar sing along’s, I plan on asking Harris Deutsch to show up. I hope he travels well.

Bob
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Hey Bob,(et al-whatever that means - I always wanted to type it)

This time of year, I find take me out to the ball game works very well. In the United States, it is a song that all ages seem to know. (at least in my experience)

I have also used the tune to write other songs.

Last night I took the opportunity to learn from Dan Garrett. Not only does he share great knowledge about working with families/kids, he also can do the knuckle busting stuff as well. (and make it entertaining)

You are all appreciated for helping me strive to be a more creative entertainer.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Best Kids Show Tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL