The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Sol Stone (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4196 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
This quote of Sol's was posted elsewhere by Steve Cohen. How sage!!
"If you labor like a mouse and give birth to an elephant, that's magic. But if you labor like an elephant and give birth to a mouse, that's tragic."
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
For just that reason, Sol didn't like my Boston Box trick (which ran in Genii), but on the day we last saw Allen Greenberg I showed it to David Roth first, over in a corner...and then to Allen. After it Allen held my hand for a while. I took it to mean he liked the trick. He wasn't talking that day.

Later on, I was telling Sol that Allen held my hand after I showed him the Boston Box routine. Sol said, and he was busting my chops in a playful way, because he didn't like my trick...thought it was too busy etc., thought a simple 2 coin transpo just as good, speaking of Allen, "He died happy", in a deadpan.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Sol told me an interesting story about Vernon and Slydini. Vernon had fooled Slydini with Han Ping Chien coins trough the table. Syldini asked him how he did it. Vernon told Slydini, "I can show you but I won't explain it." After that, trying to reconstruct it, is when Slydini came up with all his variations on Coins Through the Table.

One day Vernon sent one of his students as a spy to see what Slydini was working on. Slydini knew who the guy was, but showed him the variations he had worked out on the Coins Thru Table. The guy asked "How did you do that?" Slydini answered "I can show you but I won't explain it" knowing it would get back to Vernon.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4196 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Great story!!
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Thanks, Mike. Hey, I just remembered that Sol had a Die trick different from the rest. The spots changed but in a different sequence (maybe in order) from the other versions. I'm sure it is in his book The Essential Sol Stone.
NicholasD25
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Hey, I just remembered that Sol had a Die trick different from the rest. The spots changed but in a different sequence (maybe in order) from the other versions. I'm sure it is in his book The Essential Sol Stone.

Yes, Sol Stone's Radical Dice. I'm a big fan of dice tricks. This was sold with a special set of dice. Sort of a take off on the Sack dice routine.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Good. So it was made available. When he showed me, it was the only die of its kind for all we knew. Nobody knew where he got it. So somebody marketed it.
WarMagician
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of WarMagician
In honour of Sol Stone's recent passing, I've written an article focusing on his service as a US Army Air Force B-24 navigator during World War Two. It's on my 'Magic at War' blog. Read how Sol used magic to survive after being shot down over enemy territory, and how he brought wonder and delight to wartime refugees. Includes a link to Herb Scher's short film on Stone, after he was made SAM Parent Assembly 1's Magician of the Year (2014).

https://magicatwar.blogspot.com/2021/03/......ium.html
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Thanks for that great article. I'm so glad I didn't make any errors that were too big when I told it from memory. He deserves all the accolades anyone gives.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I'm almost out of anecdotes, but I remembered a funny story about a trick Sol developed wherein during a series of Spellbound variations, he'd recite the poem "I never saw a purple cow. I never hope to see one. But all that I can say is that I'd rather see than be one." So he was always looking for a good purple poker chip or coin or token of some kind. that would really suit the trick. One day in front of a bar, on the sidewalk, I found two sets of the chips they used in AA, to award certain lengths of time staying sober. Each one was a different color. Anodized aluminum AA chips. 2 sets. To me it looked like two AA members decided to fall off the wagon and just before going in the bar, threw down their AA chips. Their loss was Sol's gain. I of course gave them to him.

On another topic, Sol was very helpful to some of the young guys over the years, with his psychology background. David Roth's father died when David was about 11 I think. I could be wrong on the age, but Sol kept an eye on him and sort of mentored him. David always said he went to Café Rustica to see Sol. He told me recently he had been in touch with Sol. Other guys with problems too, as well as people who were just friends or magicians or both.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Great stories, Gregg
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Mostly just re-telling stories Sol told me.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
87 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I would have loved to have met Mr. Stone. The stories are all wonderful to hear. I've got some of his material in books that I have and have been really interested in his style. I look forward to really learning more and continuing his legacy.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Sol was a great magician and a great friend.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
I'm almost out of anecdotes, but I remembered a funny story about a trick Sol developed wherein during a series of Spellbound variations, he'd recite the poem "I never saw a purple cow. I never hope to see one. But all that I can say is that I'd rather see than be one."

I came across this sweet little purple cow while going through my props. I recall I almost left her on the shelf in the Antiques, etc. store.

Whether Sol Stone's purple cow poem was the reason, I don't remember, but she came home with me. Smile
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Also see if they have a figurine of a mouse and elephant.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Sol Stone once told me a very interesting anecdote about Jarrow. This must have been when Sol was pretty young. This may have been what piqued Sol's interest in magic. So, when Jarrow walked out on stage (vaudeville?) he had a limp and this was from an injury when he was a strong man and not a magician yet. He switched to magic after the injury. His first line was "The kid is good but he has a bum leg." Any way Jarow did various tricks ( he was known for bill in lemon, rope tricks, etc.) but the one I remember Sol focusing on was the one with coins and I remember that Sol had all the details and all the patter memorized to perfection, but alas I am a little hazy already. I seem to remember that it was the one with a spectator and a borrowed nickel. When a penny was held tight by the spectator, it turned into the nickel and Jarrow had the penny. This is the old trick wherein the spectator's hand is tapped as he is told to make a fist and hold it tight. The spectator's coin bounces up into the magician's hand and the magician's coin is dropped just at the right time so when he closed his fist he felt what was the same coin but that is when the switch was made. After some by-play, the transposition was revealed.

If anyone remembers more about this story, either from Sol, or elsewhere about Jarrow, I'd appreciate hearing more details in the patter or the handling if I am wrong.

And this applies to other objects as well, including coins, but he explained it to me in the context of his small ball trick with the 3 Balls of different Colors, and the advice was and still is, that a "fake take" is more deceptive than a "fake 'put'". Often we palm something, then pretend to put it in the other hand. That would be a fake 'put'. The opposite which Sol believed was more deceptive was to have an object in fingerpalm position...but not really fingerpalmed...and as you pretend to take it away with the other hand, really you fingerpalm the object which is already in about the right place, and do a wrist "kill" (turn) as the other hand moves away simulating that it has the object(a fake 'take'). After you work with this awhile, you may come to believe this approach is in fact better. Thanks again, Sol.
This post has not been Grammarized Grammar Hosts: Check box if OK and click Confirm below, or edit the post.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I was just remembering Sol's Great Patter for his copper and silver routine about the Chimu indians of Peru and their shaman who believed the copper was the sweat of the sun and silver was the tears of the moon. At a burial the persons copper objects were buried on the west side of the grave , and the silver objects on the east side. If a mistake were made, the shaman had to use magic to make the copper and silver change places. Only Sol came up with a piece of patter that interesting for a coin trick!
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
87 Posts

Profile of bassinator
That sounds awesome! Do you know if or where Mr. Stone's copper/silver routine was published?
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I learned it from Sol personally, but I'd guess it is in The Essential Sol Stone book. If not, I'm sure one of his many friends will let us know here soon. p.s. the patter would work with any C/S routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Sol Stone (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL