The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » M Box (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Ah, so it was independent invention. Glad to hear it!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Just took the plunge on the kick starter M Box with TCC I went with the half Dollar size as I'm guessing I'll get more use with that as Rooster has quite a bit of work on the basic Okito over at Copeland coins which could easly be adapted and I'm guessing the samaller coins make things a bit easier but I was really tempted with the Dollar Size M Box
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2022, magikoins wrote:
Ok, he has respond to me ...

as proof he sent to me a M-box description movie, and the date of 2016 is the name file !!!!...

Just to clarify, the original M-box did not have the ‘Boston groove’. That came with M-box 2.0.
Bremner
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Quote:

as proof he sent to me a M-box description movie, and the date of 2016 is the name file !!!!...

Great minds think alike. I didn’t know anyone still used a Blackberry:)
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 23, 2022, Bremner wrote:
Quote:

Great minds think alike. I didn’t know anyone still used a Blackberry:)

I don't think he still does, I think that's the video from 2016.

I also suspect that's a video of the M-Box 2 (what TCC is calling the M-Box) to show the Boston-groove. Otherwise I don't think magikoins would be satisfied by the response.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
I have the new M Box 2.0 (slot box version).

My advice - if you are buying for the Boston feature, avoid at all costs.

I tried two shells and both immediately jammed in the groove. Not a worker.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, leipzisch wrote:

Must be a thing with TCC, then. I have their trick "The Table" as well and the slot is... not the best...

It's extremely loose and prone to dropping coins if a light breeze wafts by its general direction...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:

Doesn't surprise me.

I purchased a deluxe Walking Liberty set last year. The coins were reproductions, in my opinion (not disclosed in the marketing).

I avoid TCC products now.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Were they true expanded shells?
I had no problem with the one I tested.

Quote:

tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

My MBox 2.0 works great, though it was before TCC took over production.

GJo: Where was the Deluxe WL set from? If you're talking about the TCC Silver Artisan coins, then those are explicitly stated to be silver. I don't see any other WL coin sets that they make. If you're talking about Oliver, then depending on the reseller they might call it out or not.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
TCC Artisan Luxury

https://tccmagic.com/collections/artisan......per-coin

The description states genuine Walking Liberty coins.

Look at the photos in the link. Mine looked like the coins in the first photo. The coins in the subsequent photos look genuine, but nothing like those in the first photo.

Mine didn’t look or feel like genuine Walking Liberty coins to me. They had the sharp definition of uncirculated coins, but a rather matte finish that didn’t jibe with their apparent lack of wear.

Also, the fl****r coin came unassembled and the required element to make the gaff functional was not included. Nor were instructions about how to assemble the coin. For a $399 set, this didn't make sense.

Maybe I was mistaken about the coins. Regardless, I returned the set and didn’t regret my decision.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

The first photo is particularly blurry (to me) and so it's hard for me to tell. I could totally imagine them picking up some lots of uncirculated coins to use for mass production. Maybe they cleaned some of them (poor form) or bought some that had been by others.
For me, the biggest signal is usually the inside of the shell (or flipper). If it's silver, it tends to be genuine, and if it's brass it's a replica.
Yes, it's possible to plate the inside of a shell, but I find it's rarely done - it's not worth most folks effort and few replicas are silver all the way through. If you're really not sure, you can check weight or sound of the ungaffed coins.

As far as the rest, that page explicitly calls out:
> Please Note: The flipper coin is not assembled when you receive it. Please follow the instruction to assemble it. The band needs to be changed about once a month.

and I'm surprised if it didn't come with any bands. Disassembled makes sense to me for an expensive set to not have bands rot (and muck up the groove) if it sits in storage for a while. But yes, better would be to use an elastic that doesn't degrade.
It also explicitly says it comes with an online instruction video, so if it wasn't in the box, then that seems like a mistake they would have corrected with an email, not an intentional choice.

But I'm glad you're happy with the final outcome.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Yeah, no band included. No double sided tape either. Just two unassembled pieces.

I now have a Keuppers WL flipper, expanded turtle, and four matching insert coins. Should have done that from the beginning. Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I just checked a bunch of shells on my boxes, and all of my expanded shells fit fine. Clad Kennedy, silver Kennedy, Walker, Barber, and even a Seated Liberty half.
I have two unexpanded sets and those shells DID NOT fit, but it wasn't even close - they couldn't settle into the groove.

I suspect your shell was unexpanded or wasn't a true expanded shell.

Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:

Quote:

leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:

Quote:

Yes, they were both expanded shells.

One was from tango. When I contacted TCC, their reply was as follows:

"As for the shell on the Morgan box, the issue may be due to the fact that One Dollar Shells produced by many companies, such as Tango’s, are slightly larger."

In other words, expanded shells that are 'larger' (whatever that means!) are liable to jam in the groove.

As I say, avoid until they come out with a version that accommodates all expanded shells.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
The issue of fit may not apply to the half dollar sets, I cannot comment on that.

I ordered the dollar size, and it's definitely an issue (one which TCC have, as you see from their reply above, admitted to).

So frustrating they did not flag this in the ad copy!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Yeah, there can be more variance in the size of silver dollar shells in general.

Quote:
On Apr 22, 2023, leipzisch wrote:
The issue of fit may not apply to the half dollar sets, I cannot comment on that.

I ordered the dollar size, and it's definitely an issue (one which TCC have, as you see from their reply above, admitted to).

So frustrating they did not flag this in the ad copy!
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Interesting.

This is something that TCC were clearly aware of and should have accommodated for.

I've always found their products great, so this was a disappointment.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Perhaps they focused mainly on replicas and Ikes.
If you don't reglarly work will silver dollars, it seems like a straightforward mistake to make.
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
For those who purchased the M box 2.0: now that the boxes have been out for a bit, how have the black lines/detailing on the boxes been holding up?

I'm looking into purchasing one myself, but I'm a bit concerned about the black paint(?) flaking off as part of the wear and tear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » M Box (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL