The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Developing Your Personality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on how to improve you presence and appeal to the audience. You know how some performers can walk on to a stage and own the room everyone automatically likes them.

We all know about practicing routines and slights and this may lead to a technically flawless act but how do you develop the rest? It seems to be part character, part charisma, part confidence.

What do you all think for instance how do you develop and improve your charisma?

It seems to me that developing these things can do more for your act than a cleaver slight.
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
The best things you can do to start with would be to take an acting class that is focused towards theatre acting as well as an impromptu comedy class. Both will help with stage presence as well as confidence. The second will help with being able to be funny on a moment's notice while interacting with your audience (assuming you do close up or are somehow talking directly back and forth with the audience from the stage).

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

I agree but I think the hardest to develop is the charisma and I am not sure how best to improve that.

This topic really interests me shame there is not more debate
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Stephen,
You are talking about "IT". You've heard it said some have it and some don't? It's true.

"IT" is that special X-Factor that makes people pay attention to you no matter what you say or do.

Bill Clinton has IT
Hulk Hogan has IT
David Copperfield has IT
Beyonce has IT

Unfortunately, nobody can really figure out how to get IT. If somebody can, they would make millions! IT seperates the workers from the SUPER STARS!

So to answer your question, I'm afraid there really isn't an answer...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

If you mean that superstar quality, you're probably right but you can improve on your own presence. It's just really hard to put on paper how. For instance you may go in for a competition and really wow the magic judges and not score high with the lay judges. That is fixable; it is about creating an impression and being likable and stage presence but again, the how is hard to put on paper.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Oh, that.
Actually it is really not as difficult as you think. But it is a lot of work. (I know a lot of you just tuned out...)

In a nut shell, you must make a conscious decision about who you are going to be on
stage and commit to it. I call this "Creating a Character."

1) You must figure out who you are first. "But BDC I know who I am, I live my life everyday don't I?" Nope, sorry. Most people never give thought one to who they are as people. So you need to do a self inventory and learn stuff about yourself. There is no right or wrong way to do this, but I have developed a worksheet for my students if anyone is interested.

2) After you've done that, you must decide which three traits you will emphasis. This will be the basis of your character. For me it was a love of Jazz and Swing Music, Comic Books and 1940s pop culture. Again, I have a great essay by Ryan Pilling on this step. E-mail me for a copy.

3) Make a choice. Will my character now be an amplified version of myself or a separate persona built upon those traits?

4) Make another choice. Will I be the Killer, The Victim and the Witness? In other words will your character create the magic, be a victim of the magic or be a witness to the magic. Think about that and let that hang on the clothesline of your mind...

5) What presentational style will you chose? Storyteller? Educator? Mad Scientist?
Gambler? There are almost limitless offshoots and combinations. For example once you've decided that you are going to be the killer, are you going to be a gambling killer who exposes his cons to educate? Lots of fun possibilities here. Big Daddy Cool is an entertainer who kills.

6) Write your character's bio. The character's history. Including who his parents were, where he went to school (if at all), how he became an entertainer, or gambler, or Mad Scientist. And if you are playing an amplified version of yourself, write your bio, your history. Make it as long or as short as need be.

Now, that you've done that it's time to really go to work...

7) What is your character's time, space & weight. Boy, this is complex, but it deals with specifically how your character moves. Largely this will be determined by what you've done so far, but there is still a lot of discovery to be done here. Every part of your character's body has a specific speed (time), space (size) and weight (light or heavy). Start with the head, move to the arms and then the feet. Experiment. Walk around with these attributes. Think about how this character should be physically. Once, you've figured out the head, arms and feet, move to the waist, knees, thighs, finger tips and so on, until every part of your body has a specific time, space & weight. This is not easy and will take hours and hours of work.

8) Decide how your character will speak. Slowly, quickly, with an accent? Not at all? And Why? Go back to the bio and figure it out.

9) Clothes. You've heard it said that clothes make the man? It's true. Although the
costume is near the end it is one of the most important elements. The audience must know what you are about from the second they lay eyes on you. Part of that is you time space & weight, but a BIG part is your costume. For Big Daddy Cool I needed to create an image that was the flashy showman and entertainer but conveyed ties to the Mafia circa 1940s. By combining styles associated (by the General Public) with the time period I've done just that. Before I open my mouth or bob my head, they already have an idea of what I'm all about.

10) Now, the hardest part. Examine your repertoire. Does every thing you perform fit the character you've created? If not throw it out. Your character dictates your repeater, not the other way around. This will be the hardest part, because more than likely you've been performing routines that you shouldn't.

11) Write a script. First write a script for each routine you've kept so far Smile. Then decide what story you want to tell the audience. It could be a true theatrical narrative (in the case of BDC) or the story could just be "hey I came here tonight to show you some really amazing things." But what ever it is write it out from beginning to end. Write stage directions, prop placements most important, segues! Write a script. Just do it.

12) More than likely you are going to run into a snag in step 11. Some of the magic that you kept, doesn't move your story along. It may fit the character, but it doesn't fit the script. Lose it.

13) Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse! And do it with a director. Or if you have the resources
with a theatrical director, a magical director and a choreographer working in tandem.

If you follow these principles I promise you will see the results from the lay audience that you desire.

And I didn't even mention that if you work with an assistant or larger cast, every person in the cast must follow these steps through the Time, Space & weight stage as well.

And, as you are examining your repertoire you are also going to eliminate any magic that isn't commercial and appealing to a lay audience. Screw the magic guys and the judges. Think about the audience.

Gosh, I hope this helps. There are a lot of other resources available as well. One good source is Rich Tenance's column at Online-Visions.com, and this is a regular topic on the Kevin James Forum at kjmagic.com.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

BDC

Great post lots of informative stuff there I am plowing through and analyzing the things you said. I PM'd you for the resources you mentioned.

Once again, thanks for the post.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I recommend you check out some books by Daniel Fitzkee. He has some great ideas on character development

Tom
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

I think you will find it (Dariel (SP) Magic and showmanship for magicians etc) very good. The trick brain etc and of course don't forget Henning Nelms.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Stephen-

BDC has hit the nail on the head-all his points are so correct!

I was going to add to the point of basically having a good act-be confident in what you are doing, and make sure you enjoy what you are doing. If anything seems a bit corny etc-drop it from your act-have poweful routines especially if you have developed a character.

Reactions from a lay audience will tell you what works-this will breed confidence in you & your Presence on stage will develop & you will end up with an act that will go over so well as all your weak routines will not be there

This will take time but it does work!!

Good Luck
---------------------------------------------------
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In addition:

Charisma = Strong need to communicate effectively one's strong, positive, unselfish, inner intention

Jack Shalom
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Howdy Everyone?

Well, I've been into magic for about 4 years. I bet that's not long compared to a high percentage of everyone. Experience is the key to performing. Which I still don't get the part at the end. hahah I know you will learn everyday when you perform magic. How things go, good and bad, props, etc.

But I do like #11 Big Daddy Cool. Thanks, your post really helped.

It's hard to think of what type of personality I have. I have the comic side of me, the hardcore manipulator, friendly but not comedian-like. There's a whole lot to think about. I just don't know what to do.

But I guess I'll try and figure it out along the way.

Kevin Vu
Renton,Wa

P.S. Thank you, everyone.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
BDC,

I dig.

If I may add...You are bridging the gap between "intent" and "perception." Perception is reality, not intent. Smile

What do you want your guests to perceive? And exactly how do you intend to do that?

P. Differ
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
jrbobik
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of jrbobik
BDC,

Great post and well written.

I would add only one thing that I feel is a big key to your presence when entering a room. Make EYE contact with as many people as possible. It does not matter what your character is, just make eye contact with as many as possible. It will first off make them notice you, and second, it helps with figuring out the crowd.

I also stand tall and walk proud. Not an arrogant walk, but a self assured walk. Be proud you are a performer and you know that you can make all these people laugh, giggle, or ohh and ahh over what you can do. Just look like you belong there, and know what you are doing.

Just my 2 cents.

John B
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted"
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
There are some great resources out there. BDC's post is one of them. Also check out Richard Tenance's "Acting for Magicians." There is a great essay in Jamy Ian Swiss's book, "Shattering Illusions," as well. I can't remember which chapter it is, but it discusses how he teaches his students to develop their stage personality.

Big Daddy, if you come back to this post and see this, I'd love to get a look at the worksheet you came up with.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I agree, but I think the hardest to develop is the charisma and I am not sure how best to improve that.

Hello All.

My ideas on this is; some have it, some can develop it, some will try and not be as successful. People can sense "Fakeness". Being up front, honest, and polite, along with some charming wit will develop it.

I think that people who seem to have less charisma are the ones with the "Better Than You", arrogant personalities, putting the spectator on the spot with the, "I did it and you can't" mentallity. It's best to put the spectator above you. (What I mean is, you put their enjoyment first, not you doing the trick.)

Everyone has certain friends that, when they're hanging out with, you can be goofy, open, and funny. It's THIS part of you that you have to bring into your presentation. Be goofy and tastefully witty. Joke with them, and have fun. During this is when the "offbeat" occurs that allows you to do the little moves needed.

Here's the way I try to keep developing. Have you ever (yes you have) listened to music when no one was around? Did the dance moves that you pray nobody ever tapes to be sent in to Funniest Videos? I use these "moves" when practicing linking rings, multiplying balls, basically any routine, even spongeballs. I just go with the music and let my hands just go, and sometimes I come up with new moves. Ok, off track a bit. When you're doing your whatever dance to the whatever music, this is part of your true inner self that is the energy within. Bringing this out, and being comfortable with it will increase what your looking for. I hope this helps.

Magically,

Joseph
THEHATER
View Profile
New user
Yugoslavia
37 Posts

Profile of THEHATER
We should always put a smile on our face, kindness in our pocket, understanding in our wallets and passion in our hearts. That will help.
Burnt
View Profile
New user
England
66 Posts

Profile of Burnt
Just try to become confident with what you do. Just practise your magic to be confident, but also don't practise and forget that a VERY important part of magic is the audience!

I have met quite a few magicians who just practise magic over and over and are amazing, but all the time spent practising means they are not getting out and meeting people, so when it comes to a show then they mumble or just don't 'click' with the spectators. The more people you meet the more confident you get in general. If you interact with people well then you will soon learn how your presence can be gained. The walks, the talk, the clothes, the appearence, the style, the smile, the humor, the seriousness, etc., its all part of you. Nothing seems worse then a fake either. You have to learn to work with what you've got and once you understand your own anatomy, then you'll now what to do with it to enhance the qualities you want to portray on the stage.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
BDC,

What a truly awesome post. Keep 'em coming.

Nick
symbolmike
View Profile
New user
McAllen, Texas
4 Posts

Profile of symbolmike
Studying books and applying the theories on "Charisma" has helped me by leaps and bounds. I was extremely introverted and a shy "performer". Charisma is the "IT" as mention above. It is the people magnet and I highly recommend any book or audio source that teaches the principles. One thing though, you MUST implement it and not just read or listen to it.

Best wishes,
Mike
Mike Delbert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Developing Your Personality (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL