The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Torn and Restored Changing Card by Richard Young and Bob Swadling (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, CardGuyMike wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, Kenco wrote:
I received today an email from Richard Young: Bad news I’m afraid, please see the attached photo, your T&R has been returned to me. This hasn’t happened before. Is the address wrong?
I replied that I was disappointed cause I would have to wait another month to receive a new one and if I can be compensated. He replied that it was not he fault and didn't want to do business with me because I was requesting money compensation when I never stated anything about money.
Richard Young is a very rude business man, I was surprised by his attitude and behavior. I definitely will never do business with him and just wanted others to know the real Richard Young.

This is not clear to me at all. Were you asking to cancel your order for a refund? Or were you asking for him to resend the card and give you a partial refund to compensate for the delay? If the latter, I don't blame him particularly if it was not his fault.

I have had nothing but positive interactions with Richard and he has been better than most creators about coming on here and communicating with us. A muddled one-off story is not going to change my opinion of Richard.

I never said it was his fault and I wanted to have it sent again and maybe anything extra as courtesy but he burst out saying he didn't want to do business with me. Previously I have bought his changing cards twice with no no problem.
You are entitle to your experience as I'm doing with mine. Hopefully you will never see his dark side but if you ever do I hope you remember my thoughts.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Quote:
I wanted to have it sent again and maybe anything extra as courtesy but he burst out saying he didn't want to do business with me.

Wait, the postal service made a mistake and you demanded that he to send you some freebies to say sorry? You do know this is one guy who is normally in a touring stage show trying to make money during the pandemic? Wow.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Also, in the UK a request for "compensation" is ONLY ever meant as financial.
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, funnymagic wrote:
Quote:
...if I can be compensated. He replied that it was not he fault and didn't want to do business with me because I was requesting money compensation when I never stated anything about money.

What kind of compensation did you mean?

Anything even a regular 52 to 1 plain card out of courtesy, I see nothing wrong with just asking, I've purchased the changing cards twice in the past. It's called "good businessman" towards your customers. He was totally rude and I've purchased from many magic shops without problems, Hocus Pocus, Penguin, Propdog, Ellusionist, Vanishing Inc. etc.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...if I can be compensated. He replied that it was not he fault and didn't want to do business with me because I was requesting money compensation when I never stated anything about money.

Anything even a regular 52 to 1 plain card out of courtesy, I see nothing wrong with just asking, I've purchased the changing cards twice in the past. It's called "good businessman" towards your customers. He was totally rude and I've purchased from many magic shops without problems, Hocus Pocus, Penguin, Propdog, Ellusionist, Vanishing Inc. etc.

I am just trying to understand the situation--was the address provided the correct address? Why was it returned? I could understand asking for a refund on the $5 shipping, if it's Richard's fault it was returned. He immediately said he didn't want to do business with you? What was exactly said between you two, sounds like there may be some information said on both ends that isn't being relayed in this message. Just curious so things are clear for all here that read this. Thanks for any accurate info you can provide for the situation.
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, rbromley wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am just trying to understand the situation--was the address provided the correct address? Why was it returned? I could understand asking for a refund on the $5 shipping, if it's Richard's fault it was returned. He immediately said he didn't want to do business with you? What was exactly said between you two, sounds like there may be some information said on both ends that isn't being relayed in this message. Just curious so things are clear for all here that read this. Thanks for any accurate info you can provide for the situation.

I have the emails that were sent between us and yes the address was correct neither of us understand why it was returned and I didn't know it was an insult to ask (not demand) for a compensation in the UK, thank God I'm from USA. I don't feel I should have to post the emails to prove my point and I already see that the majority on here will favor him and I don't care but just wanted to warn others how he is not as nice as most people believe him to be. Hope no one ever has to go thru it but if they do then I gladly say I TOLD YOU SO.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
No worries, I was just thinking clarification on how it escalated would help rather than just saying he said he refused to do business with you again. I am not biased either way, just thought detailed facts would help others understand the specific situation, if you are going to point to someone having bad business practices. I hope your card arrives safely the next time it is mailed. Good luck!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It sounds to me like an unfortunate mess up by the postal service which happens sometimes.
You probably then got snotty with Richard due to your natural disappointment of your effect not arriving.
He probably thought (like I would) I don’t need people getting rude with me over no fault of his , so now doesn’t wish to send it out again just incase the postal service screws up again and you then get really waxy with him.
That’s what I take from reading between the lines here as Richard is a perfect gentleman imho Gaz 😊
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:

OK so this is a bit clearer than the original post, but still leaves questions.

The package was returned and neither of you were at fault. You asked Richard to resend and to include some sort of freebie to compensate you for the delay. At which point Richard was rude to you and said he didn't want to do business with you? How was he rude? Are you just saying he was rude because he doesn't want to do business with you? Or was there something else? Why should he include any freebies if it wasn't his fault? If he resends, is he already going to have to eat the cost of another package and postage? He is not a big magic shop like the ones you mention, perhaps he thinks it was rude of you to request some free stuff?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with Gaz.
What probably seemed perfectly acceptable to Kenco may have had a very rude or demanding tone in Richard’s mind.
Have to admit that asking for compensation in return for something that was out of Richard’s control was pretty forward, which may be the reason some are questioning whether there is more to this story.

Having said that, I have to say that I think Richard may be getting a little grumpy from too many late nights trying to keep up with demand for this product, which probably produces way less income for much more work than what he is used to in normal times. I say this based on a couple of his posts that were a bit too quick to scold IMO, including one to me that I asked to be removed as he felt I was just phishing for methods, even though I own several of his changing cards, although in all fairness Richard wouldn’t know that.

I harbor no grudges, I was just surprised because his previous posts on here about his original changing cards were all very friendly and polite. But I sense he’s growing weary of spending his days producing these cards which is certainly understandable. But there has been at least one other post in this current thread of someone saying they thought he was rude and wouldn’t continue to do business with him. Which probably to Richard is great news because that means one less card to make. 😃
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
It sounds to me like an unfortunate mess up by the postal service which happens sometimes.
You probably then got snotty with Richard due to your natural disappointment of your effect not arriving.
He probably thought (like I would) I don’t need people getting rude with me over no fault of his , so now doesn’t wish to send it out again just incase the postal service screws up again and you then get really waxy with him.
That’s what I take from reading between the lines here as Richard is a perfect gentleman imho Gaz 😊

If asking to be compensate (which he could of just said he can't I never said money wise) would be considered in your mind as snotty then I guess I was but nothing else was said and he got upset. Let me also mention I had to wait another week before he sent it because he was sick which I understand but I don't think he should of not taken that attitude he makes of living us people like me but I guess he is ungrateful.
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hello everyone,

I’m sure this isn’t the way anyway wants to be spending their day so let me share my side. Kenco has ordered from us previously, I have appreciated his business as I do anyone who orders from us. It isn’t my right to give out his address but he lives many thousands of miles away from me on an island. A few weeks ago he ordered The Torn & Restored card which I crafted and sent to him in a timely fashion. This morning his package landed back through my front door with a ‘return to sender’ sticker attached to the front, the postal service had given no reason for the return. My first thought was that the address was incorrect, so I emailed Kenco and gave him the bad news and asked him to check the address and let me know. An hour or so later I received what in my opinion was an angry unwarranted reply that included this:

‘I posted yesterday at the Magic Café forum that I was still waiting for my order and now you send me this.
It's terrible that I would have to wait another month to receive it. Let me know what can be done to compensate this situation.’

We are from different parts of the world admittedly but I do not see why I should either financially compensate or spend an hour making a free changing card because of a problem with the postal service.
That was enough for me. I am out.

This is just one of those things completely out of my hands and considering I am posting to a island location many thousands of miles away in the middle of a global pandemic there was always a chance something could go wrong and indeed could go wrong again when I assume Kenco will be even angrier. I don’t want to deal with this, we are all having a tough time and so I told Kenco I would be refunding him and requested he not purchase from me again. I think he was surprised I would take a firm stand and ultimately deny him the product he wants.

He hasn’t taken this well and has subsequently sent me this saying he will attempt to ruin my reputation across the magic community:

‘First of all I never said compensate in money and I though you were totally a different type of person but I was mistaken you are a rude business person. I will let everyone in social media and in the Magic Café of your rude attitude and to avoid doing business with you. If ever you go live I will make sure to comment there and warn people about your business ethics.’

I don’t think I need to explain anymore, I absolutely love making these cards, sending them out and hearing you guys are enjoying them. I am not making a lot of money, it’s just something to do to bring in a bit of pocket money until I hopefully get my old life back. I won’t tolerate rudeness, I am not one of the big boys, like Vanishing INC, or Penguin, I am an individual with a craft knife, some glue and a lot of time on my hands. I reserve the right to not to take money from anyone who is rude to me.
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, r1ch-oxford wrote:
Hello everyone,

I’m sure this isn’t the way anyway wants to be spending their day so let me share my side. Kenco has ordered from us previously, I have appreciated his business as I do anyone who orders from us. It isn’t my right to give out his address but he lives many thousands of miles away from me on an island. A few weeks ago he ordered The Torn & Restored card which I crafted and sent to him in a timely fashion. This morning his package landed back through my front door with a ‘return to sender’ sticker attached to the front, the postal service had given no reason for the return. My first thought was that the address was incorrect, so I emailed Kenco and gave him the bad news and asked him to check the address and let me know. An hour or so later I received what in my opinion was an angry unwarranted reply that included this:

‘I posted yesterday at the Magic Café forum that I was still waiting for my order and now you send me this.
It's terrible that I would have to wait another month to receive it. Let me know what can be done to compensate this situation.’

We are from different parts of the world admittedly but I do not see why I should either financially compensate or spend an hour making a free changing card because of a problem with the postal service.

This is just one of those things completely out of my hands and considering I am posting to a island location many thousands of miles away in the middle of a global pandemic there was always a chance something could go wrong and indeed could go wrong again when I assume Kenco will be even angrier. I don’t want to deal with this, we are all having a tough time and so I told Kenco I would be refunding him and requested he not purchase from me again. I think he was surprised I would take a firm stand and ultimately deny him the product he wants.

He hasn’t taken this well and has subsequently sent me this saying he will attempt to ruin my reputation across the magic community:

‘First of all I never said compensate in money and I though you were totally a different type of person but I was mistaken you are a rude business person. I will let everyone in social media and in the Magic Café of your rude attitude and to avoid doing business with you. If ever you go live I will make sure to comment there and warn people about your business ethics.’

I don’t think I need to explain anymore, I absolutely love making these cards, sending them out and hearing you guys are enjoying them. I am not making a lot of money, it’s just something to do to bring in a bit of pocket money until I hopefully get my old life back. I won’t tolerate rudeness, I am not one of the big boys, like Vanishing INC, or Penguin, I am an individual with a craft knife, some glue and a lot of time on my hands. I reserve the right to not to take money from anyone who is rude to me.

It took Richard long enough to reply but now that he did, he clearly stated
He could of easily stated he cannot compensate me that's not a big issue, I don't know what he was so bothered by that but someone already on here said that mentioning compensated in the UK is like an insult.

Then is says
This is just one of those things completely out of my hands and considering I am posting to a island location many thousands of miles away in the middle of a global pandemic there was always a chance something could go wrong and indeed could go wrong again when I assume Kenco will be even angrier.
He is jumping the gun and assuming I would get angry. He is the states there is a quote about people who assume.
And finally yes I live in Puerto Rico which is an island and also a US territory for your information Sir Richard.
I'm still waiting for my refund.
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Huge thanks to Craig and Ryland for their review of Torn & Restored card which just came out. I am flabbergasted at their respective scores of 100% and 99%!

You can watch here, starts around 11:25:

https://youtu.be/6otUb914LJY
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks for clarifying Richard, it’s exactly what I could tell from Kenco’s posts here.
I said just that, if you send another and that doesn’t arrive he will throw a complete tantrum.
It was clear from his tone, and I don’t blame you for not wanting to do business with him.
Your reputation won’t get torn by him, so there will be no need for restoration.
By the way Richard mine arrived today and I have just watched the video and performed version 1 beautifully first time and the quality is exquisite.
Now going to view the second handling, I have also decided to never drink Kenco coffee again in protest after his rudeness.
It really annoys me when people think they own you, and if they say jump we are all going to say how high.
I am the last person in the world who would ever do that, I am glad you have took that stance.
If anyone is on the fence don’t be this is brilliant and has my highest recommendation Gaz 👍👍😊
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Gaz, so pleased it has reached you and you’re pleased. Please do have a go with the second handling, it’s a bit more work, but I think it’s absolutely worth it.

Enjoy!

Rich
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
First of all I don’t know Richard at all. How were everyone I have ever spoken to raves about how he is ‘such a nice guy’. In a business full of over inflated egos to be described as a good guy says it all in my opinion.

I have been performing this trick for years and I absolutely love it. I posted a review today raving about how amazing the prop and download is. It’s a strong contender for the top ten list of best tricks of the year. However since filming the review I got a chance to interview Richard for my channel. He was fantastic, everything I hoped for. He also came across as very humble and desperate to continue the legacy of Bob Swadling who was his childhood mentor. I really believe after speaking to Richard that this is less about the money and more about wanting more people to be aware of Bobs wonderful gimmick. You have to remember Richard is one off the top performers in the world and truly loves magic. Interviewing made a big impression on me. I also think that when life gets back to normal these cards will be in very short supply.

Here’s a link to the review. I highly recommend buying one. The attention to detail and care that has gone into this product is brilliant. It’s a real worker and something I will continue to do for years.

https://youtu.be/6otUb914LJY

And regarding the customer service situation Richard is too polite and too nice of a guy. I am not.

So allow me to tell Kenco that his is coming off a a spoilt little brat and he needs to grow up. And if his solution to dealing with problems is to go straight to destroying that person on the internet then he needs to have a white word with himself. If I were Richard I would suggest he shove a changing card where the sun doesn’t shine but that’s why I’m not in customer service. Like I said Richard is a nice guy but I’m pretty sure that’s what he is thinking.

Grow up Kenco.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Kenco, I hate to drag this drama out any further but it might be helpful for all dealers to know going forward what compensation would you honestly have found acceptable?

Richard mentions that he apparently thought you were inferring that you wanted one of his changing cards, whereas maybe a few extra dupes and couple gummy bears may have sufficed in order to keep the peace. But also, I assume you are expecting Richard to keep eating the postage cost for each failed delivery should there have been more.

An additional changing card seems like an awful lot if that’s what you had in mind. Perhaps something in between?
What if he also added a 52 to 1 card along with some dupes? That seems more reasonable to me. Along with notice that if the second attempt also fails then you will be receiving a refund because he can’t afford to keep having the package returned.

And we haven’t even gotten into whether there was tracking on the package? But I don’t think Richard ships these using tracking in order to keep the price down.
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Richard, it’s exactly what I could tell from Kenco’s posts here.
I said just that, if you send another and that doesn’t arrive he will throw a complete tantrum.
It was clear from his tone, and I don’t blame you for not wanting to do business with him.
Your reputation won’t get torn by him, so there will be no need for restoration.
By the way Richard mine arrived today and I have just watched the video and performed version 1 beautifully first time and the quality is exquisite.
Now going to view the second handling, I have also decided to never drink Kenco coffee again in protest after his rudeness.
It really annoys me when people think they own you, and if they say jump we are all going to say how high.
I am the last person in the world who would ever do that, I am glad you have took that stance.
If anyone is on the fence don’t be this is brilliant and has my highest recommendation Gaz 👍👍😊

You should be the last person to talk about rudeness I read plenty of messages about people complaining about you but you and Richard are just the same.
Enough said
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
There are always complainers when the truth is told, as most people don’t like the truth.
I am not scared to say it as I see it to anybody and I guarantee you I have far more respect on these boards for that than you will ever have.
You post 4500 times and you will see you won’t please all of the people all of the time. I think Craig’s spot on, his lad Ryland shows more maturity than you do imho Gaz 😊
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Torn and Restored Changing Card by Richard Young and Bob Swadling (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL