The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Newbie tentatively seeks advice on protecting new method (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Feel free to point me toward an existing thread (or resource) on this. I did do some searching but didn't find anything. I'm mostly interested in finding a safe place (or person or persons) to discuss such ideas with specifics, but not risk being ripped off.

So I've got a prototype of a gimmick which is basically a variation on a time tested method. It's not the kind of thing that would sell really well and that's not really my main interest. Neither is getting credit (nice, but not the point). It's more a matter of creative control. I stumble across various threads and discussions and comments about magicians being ripped off and not getting credit for something. Sort of a recurring theme. I'm actually heartened by the general community consensus to give credit where credit is due, and to not expose a proprietary method.

So how to proceed? How, and where, to discuss? I'd love to talk about the specifics and get comments. Maybe my idea sucks (I don't think it does)? Maybe someone has already done this (it would be nice to know)?

Even as a newbie magician I've constructed some other gimmicks only to find out that they have been created and refined by others. That's not frustrating, I just wouldn't like to inadvertently rip someone off. For example, I've created a Miser's Dream gimmick where I'm assuming since "form follows function" that some of the existing gimmicks and apparatus use a similar approach. I don't want to give away method, but would love to discuss such things.

Where to do this? Here?

Old guy, new magician. Thanks in advance!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Newbie tentatively seeks advice on protecting new method (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL