The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » INSIDER by Marck Oberon ("To the point, natural and 100% sure fire.." -Colin McLeod) (117 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4911 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks for the info Bill, it sounds brilliant if you can handle it that close up and freely Gaz 😊
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1409 Posts

Profile of Jared
Same here...my gimmick looks perfect. There's no way that a spectator would notice anything suspect...It genuinely looks like a stack of small index cards and can even be placed in the spectator's hands. The only reason I mentioned using mine mostly for stage/parlor work is because I have more natural-looking options for an 'everyday carry' peek device. Personally, I wouldn't walk around carrying a stack of index cards stuffed into my pocket while doing daily activities. But if I were working a strolling gig I wouldn't hesitate to use the Insider since I wear a jacket while performing.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2550 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2021, Jared wrote:
Same here...my gimmick looks perfect. There's no way that a spectator would notice anything suspect...It genuinely looks like a stack of small index cards and can even be placed in the spectator's hands. The only reason I mentioned using mine mostly for stage/parlor work is because I have more natural-looking options for an 'everyday carry' peek device. Personally, I wouldn't walk around carrying a stack of index cards stuffed into my pocket while doing daily activities. But if I were working a strolling gig I wouldn't hesitate to use the Insider since I wear a jacket while performing.

Think this could be great for a Q&A type act.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5474 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with Jared on his reasoning about it being better suited for parlor or stage. And as already mentioned, a strong point of this is getting several pieces of information and being able to take multiple peeks. Perhaps writing numbers on the card and having 3 or more specs write down their info next to each number, thus involving several people.

As for an EDC, why carry a stack of index cards when you can use your wallet which you will be carrying anyway?
If done impromptu you’re typically going to be doing something fairly quick and not a full blown routine lasting several minutes.

It’s just a matter of using the right tool for the job, even if another tool could work.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1073 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Well stated, videoman. My edc is a SAW, and I can't see that ever being replaced for most situations absent the need for multiple peeks.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4911 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks Jared for confirming, I was purely talking about from a close up gig stand point. Not just casual down the pub sort of stuff which I agree there are other options that offer other utilities like to carry your money or packet effects etc. I love the devious method of this though Gaz 😊
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1409 Posts

Profile of Jared
Gaz, you're going to love the Insider...It's REALLY good! Heck, I already ordered a second Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5474 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
After an hour or two 'stretching' the hinges, it now works well. Thanks again, Joel!

I had the same problem as you rosario, I’m glad you asked about it because that stretchy method really worked!
leosx1
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of leosx1
So glad to have pulled the trigger on this one ! I use a longer type of rubberband ( Joe Rindfleisch ) that I can pull around twice the package so I have more time to do what needs to be done.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2502 Posts

Profile of 252life
I'm falling off the wagon hard.
Ordered.

And Looch has an updated version of Blink coming out in brown leather...

Lord help me I'm kinda hating you enablers at the moment Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2594 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2021, 252life wrote:
I'm falling off the wagon hard.
Ordered.

And Looch has an updated version of Blink coming out in brown leather...

Lord help me I'm kinda hating you enablers at the moment Smile

My thoughts exactly - again aware about Blink 2 being released any day now.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5474 Posts

Profile of videoman
Blink 2 might make for a good edc which can also allow for multiple peeks. It is a very nice improvement over the original.
Hopefully it will be available in black as well as brown.

Not sure it will beat out my Alias wallet though. The peek on that is so imperceptible and it immediately goes into the specs hands. But the price you pay for that is it is a very quick peek, can be hard to see in darkish environments, and is really best for drawing dupes.

Love Insider though. The more it gets broken in the more I love it.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
745 Posts

Profile of dduane
The same effects can be done with business cards (good for close-up or strolling) - and without a gimmick. It looks the same to the spectator, and you just need to do a p**s. This product's gimmick is great I'm sure, but the audience doesn't know or care about the gimmick. I don't like being a downer on this, because magicians really like it - but I just don't see the need for a gimmick.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2502 Posts

Profile of 252life
I’ve been playing with this for a few days now and really like it. As far as buying replacement index cards from Marc vs making your own...I’d recommend just buying the refills.
This is something I will absolutely be using professionally. It won’t be any kind of an edc but I can see it becoming a go to device. It meets one of my biggest criteria thankfully, it’s fun Smile I’ve never been a big fan of Marcs releases so I was a little hesitant initially. But I am very pleased with this purchase and absolutely recommend it.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
421 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2021, dduane wrote:
The same effects can be done with business cards (good for close-up or strolling) - and without a gimmick. It looks the same to the spectator, and you just need to do a p**s. This product's gimmick is great I'm sure, but the audience doesn't know or care about the gimmick. I don't like being a downer on this, because magicians really like it - but I just don't see the need for a gimmick.

One of the advantages of Insider is that you can peek the information again (or multiple times) with no moves / suspicious activity! - great if the handwriting isn't too good or there are multiples pieces of information on the card. It is ultra-clean.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
745 Posts

Profile of dduane
Well. that sounds good! Also, it is better for parlor than mine, which is mostly for close-up.
Thanks.
Timbo399
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Timbo399
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Been playing with this for a few hours. Am I the only one who cannot get the hinge to properly 'pivot' one handed? Pushing with the thumb doesn't work unless I grip the two ends with my thumb and four finger respectably, and start the 'hinging' - otherwise, my thumb is just pushing against the hinge. Any tips would be appreciated.

I ran into this same issue. I could not activate the gimmick with my thumb pulling up one handed from the bottom middle of the card. I have large hands and spent over an hour trying to activate the gimmick one handed with my thumb pulling up from the middle of the gimmick card. So glad to hear with a bit of "stretching" it ended up working out for you-- I will try the same on mine. I can activate it with my thumb on the corner-- but not starting from the bottom middle as Marc does in the first minute of his tutorial. I'm sure I will figure it out and I'll try stretching my gimmick out a bit. Great device-- I just ordered a second actually!!!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1742 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2021, Drtriage wrote:

One of the advantages of Insider is that you can peek the information again (or multiple times) with no moves / suspicious activity! - great if the handwriting isn't too good or there are multiples pieces of information on the card. It is ultra-clean.

You can do that with dduane's suggested handling as well. You can't show the bottom of the packet but they don't think the card is on the bottom anyway.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4911 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
True but you have to keep turning the pack over where as with the insider it just appears to remain consistent in the spectators eyes, Gaz 😊
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1742 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
True but you have to keep turning the pack over where as with the insider it just appears to remain consistent in the spectators eyes, Gaz 😊

You would hold the packet pretty much the same way as Insider. It's the same handling (apart minor differences in inserting the card), you just can't hold the packet with your palm upwards once the drawing is in peek position. You keep it to your side or towards yourself. Basically keeping the packet in "wrist kill" grip after wrapping it with the rubber band (which means you can peek whenever you want, as many times as you want without flipping anything over).

If you really wanted to, after wrapping the packet and pretending to capture their thoughts, if you needed more time to peek you could pull out the top card of the packet, place it on the face and write your impressions as you peek for as long as you want.

I'm not suggesting doing this gimmickless is better. I was just pointing out that dduane had a valid point that you could do basically the exact same thing without the gimmick and it would look virtually the same to laymen. The gimmick does make it look cleaner and you can "worry" a bit less about your handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » INSIDER by Marck Oberon ("To the point, natural and 100% sure fire.." -Colin McLeod) (117 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL