The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Isolated - Skymember Presents (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
619 Posts

Profile of canaday
Isolated - Mr. Xuan
$39.95
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=66680

The Hype:
In 1950s, David Berglas created the "Holy Grail" of card magic, known as "The Berglas Effect".

The Berglas Effect:

The performer shows a shuffled pack of cards, then a spectator is asked to think of ANY card in the deck. Next, the spectator is asked to name a random number between 1 and 52. Amazingly, the randomly thought of card is found at the exact number the spectator had thought of. In later years, this effect was known as "ACAAN" and is still regarded as one of the most impossible card effects in magic.

Skymember Presents is proud to introduce you to Isolated, the very first instalment to our PRO SERIES.

This ultimate version of ACAAN was created by Mr. Xuan. He will be going over every detail on not only how to perform this super-clean effect but also goes into the psychology, patter, and routine structure.

With Isolated, you can perform multiple imperceptible mind-blowing routines that under insane fair conditions.

PRO SERIES:

Have you ever wondered why; when some magicians perform an effect, they seem so professional? Or maybe they always get standing ovations? Or maybe they just have "that special thing"? Have you ever wondered how can YOU overcome these uncertainties? Well, now you can. Therefore we have decided to release our PRO SERIES!

Many things are to be taken into account when designing a professional routine. It's not just about the moves and techniques... there's psychology, patter, routine structure and so much more. We'll shed light onto all the minute details from start to finish. Isolated is not just a trick, it's a masterclass, come on inside for we have so much to share... in isolated.

Features:
3 powerful routines.
Designed for TV and stages.
Perform like a Master in no time.
An hour Masterclass. Taught expertly by Avi Yap, Ryan Goh and Zach Ng.

My Take:
Another take on one of the more popular card magic plots, ACAAN. There have been some very memorable versions in the past such as Barrie Richardson's "Card At Any Number" or Thomas Baxter's "BACAANALIA - A Si Stebbins Formula for ACAAN" which is the version I have used for years.

Now Skymember brings us their version, which has both positive and negative aspects to it. The instruction is via two downloadable videos. The first is 51 minutes long with magician Avi Yap both demonstrating the different effects (Three are taught) and Ryan Goh serving as the spectator. They are clearly wired up about their product but not to the SansMind level. Both young men are likable and do a good job of both performing and teaching.

The cards are spread and it is shown that three banks of cards are in the deck but I couldn't find anyplace where it was explained how many cards are in each. However, a little thinking on your part should take care of that. Likewise, in a routine you are told to take the crimped card and I also did not see where you were told to cramp one. Again minor and it should not affect your performance.

Effects:

ACAAN
Nice touch is being able to show different sections as different cards, riffle shuffle and it still works.

Lottery
Powerful effect. Spectator elects a card., replaces it into the deck then cuts deck into two piles. The magician and the spectator each shuffle a pile and then the deck is put back together. The cards are then dealt into six piles. The spectator chooses one pile at a time which is turned over to show the selected card is not there. The last pile is spread out and a card is selected. It turns out to be the selected card. Nice routine. The only downside is the time it takes to deal out the cards into six piles but this is easy to do and will fool everyone.

Prediction - is their take on Open Prediction. Mexican Turnover is a feature of this routine and you are given a nice short tutorial on how to do one.

Final Tips
Shows how to make deck look like it is unopened. Only problem is that it has to be done on the bottom of the box and that is not revealed until the end of the video when most of you have already opened it from the top.

2nd Video
The second video is 24 minutes long and goes into more depth about doing the Lottery effect. It is taught by Zach Ng and project manager Calvin Liew. The video is not in English but is sub-titled. It is well done and teaches the effect thoroughly.

Conclusion: The deck is very well designed and is printed with Bicycle Rider backs. (I thought Bicycle had refused to use the Rider backs as it diluted the brand. Isn't that why the Mandolin backs were designed? Perhaps USPCC has reversed its position on that). The effects are well taught, easy to do and visually impressive. It allows a riffle shuffle which will fool those in the know but it also makes the effect a little less than 100%. The odds are greatly in your favor but there is always a possibility. The one big downside for me is that it is always the same card that must be used so the deck cannot be examined and it cannot be repeated for the same people. Also, the deck cannot be used with any other trick.

Several other people have had the same problem that I did. It was quite difficult to find the link to the instructional video. Turns out it was written in tiny print on the tab of the card box.

If you don't have an ACAAN you currently use, this could be just the thing for you. Easy to do and pretty. But as for me, I have to remain neutral on this and I plan on sticking with my old friend, Mr. Stebbins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Isolated - Skymember Presents (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL