The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Melero Linking Rings from VI (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, equivoque wrote:
Any talk about making an extension pack?

Not that I’ve heard but I believe these rings have been a big selling item so they’d be missing a great opportunity if they didn’t.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Got these yesterday.

- very pleased! Love the size and finish.
- strangely ambivalent to the addition to the standard gaff - it's great, don't get me wrong, just don't see myself using it much, but that could easily change.
- standard gaff was a little narrow for a couple of Ninja Ring moves I love (spin & 1-handed block links), but it was easily adjusted
- Ninja single wanted to move all over the place when spun. The Melero single stays in place very well.
- working on adding the Tumble Link to my current routine.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, equivoque wrote:
Any talk about making an extension pack?

Not that I’ve heard but I believe these rings have been a big selling item so they’d be missing a great opportunity if they didn’t.

I contacted vanishing and they said there are no plans, but I agree with you,they would be missing out on a great opportunity ig they did not.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Michael O'Brien, gave these a great review and he knows rings. Does anyone know anything about the inspectable ones he sells? I hear that they will withstand a A cursory glance or examination, but not a real inspection. In any case, I ordered them. Michael says that they are a great value for the $. By the way, if you join Michael's' web site, he has the directions to his routine on it! I think that doing the Melero display followed by the switch that Michael teaches, you would leave the audience thinking that all the rings were gapless. Watch his review, he discusses this and other ideas.

https://youtu.be/49nJgzlyEwo
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
At only $45.00 for the set of 4 is a steal at this time.

Watching the Vanishing Inc. promo for the unlink, it looks like a Joe Porper idea from his finger rings, but I can't believe that kind of gimmick would be possible to make for only $45.00.

Five inch rings seem a little small even for close-up. 6 inch would be a better size for most magician hands, in my opinion.

Look forward to your review by the end of next week.

Hey Bill,
I generally agree with you on the size. I have a set of rings and things 6" that I love. The Melero rings are the largest set of mini rings used for a 4 ring routine. Most others are are 4" or 4.5"

Take a look at Michael O'Briens'review (link below). This is not a gapless ring or a locking ring. It apparently is a gimmick that allows you to do a clean display of the rings while linked together. That being said, the rumor is that this display will only work with your audience directly in front of you.
Most reviewers have called these the best mini rings for the $. Some have said that the tutorial that you get is worth the cost alone. I purchased a set yesterday and will post more about them once they are received.

Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
I've already devised a couple of brand new displays using the innovative gimmick. If only there was a facebook group to share ideas.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, Doric wrote:
I've already devised a couple of brand new displays using the innovative gimmick. If only there was a facebook group to share ideas.

How do you like this set?
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Love it. Prefer this set to the smaller Ninja Rings. The moves are much easier with the extra circumference. The new gimmick is a bonus that's fun to play around with. Highly recommended.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, equivoque wrote:
Michael O'Brien, gave these a great review and he knows rings. Does anyone know anything about the inspectable ones he sells? I hear that they will withstand a A cursory glance or examination, but not a real inspection. In any case, I ordered them. Michael says that they are a great value for the $. By the way, if you join Michael's' web site, he has the directions to his routine on it! I think that doing the Melero display followed by the switch that Michael teaches, you would leave the audience thinking that all the rings were gapless. Watch his review, he discusses this and other ideas.

Yes, if you are a fan of the Linking Rings then joining Michael’s channel is an amazing resource and a super value for less than a buck a month. I mean the 2+ hour international lecture between Michael and Matthew Garrett has got to be worth many months of membership just for that alone. Heck the opening “battle” scene between Michael and Matthew is easily worth a couple months membership IMO and it only lasts a few minutes. 😃 That there is some gooood chit.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Love his work but don’t like him very much. I won’t go into details but let just say he’s a little arrogant from my experience.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Lol
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
These rings are fantastic. I never much cared for the routines done with smaller rings and I can’t really put my finger on the reason. Even SO’s routine, which is very well done, just never did it for me. Then came the Melero rings and Ernesto’s routine. Wow! I’ve always performed Vernon’s Symphony routine, which uses six rings. Never did a four ring routine before but now I do! I love the simplicity of this and the ingenious manner in which full displays can be done. Adapting to a smaller sized ring and fewer rings overall is taking a little practice, but I love it! I also think these rings are a terrific value. Good quality LRs are expensive, but these are breaking that barrier as well.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I purchased the Melero rings and here are a couple of observations:
A Ninja ring can fit into a Melero ring. Since I have large paws, I prefer the Melero.
The gimmick in the Melero ring will allow you to do almost all the moves that the ninja ring allows, but not all.

For historical purposes:
I have seen this gimmick in an old set of rings. I don't know the maker, but they were either brass or copper and came in a wood case. Also, there were more than 8 rings in the set. I saw this set many years ago, so some of the details are hazy; but I'm quite certain about the gimmick.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and I'm willing to trade a set of Ninjas for a back-up set of Meleros.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Very nice set of rings, they're very well made and the gimmick is cool and still allows you to perform many "old" moves so you can decide wether to use it or not Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2021, MR Effecto wrote:
Love his work but don’t like him very much. I won’t go into details but let just say he’s a little arrogant from my experience.

Who me? Lol if so I am sorry to hear that. I do my best to be as helpful as possible. So if I said or did anything to upset you feel free to reach out in private and let’s chat!
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Only issue with the 'addition' to the key, you'll need to consider watching which way your key ring is oriented if you are performing within a few feet of spectators.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Okay, the rings arrived today and here is my review:

First, Michael O'Briens'review is spot on, they are, in fact, very good rings for the money. They come with a nice case, which is a good addition at this price point. If you look closely, you can see where they were welded (mine have a slight tarnish on that spot). This is nit picky, especially for the price. If you are expecting a new, space-age, high-tech gimmick, you will be disappointed. I figured it out, before purchasing, from watching 3 different reviews. This new key ring will, however, allow you to do a clean display of the rings, if the audience is directly in front of you. Like Chessmann pointed out, you will need to note the orientation of the key ring. I was thinking about asking a machinist to add this to my 6" rings and things rings set. I do not think, however, that this new key ring would work for sets larger than 6". And yes, you will be able to do all of the routines that you normally do with a four ring set.

The routines and teaching are very good. I found myself wondering,"hey, which one is the key ring?" a few times during the performances. There are no words, but the over the shoulder shots are nice. There are subtitles, but there where some phases in which they were noticeably missing and really needed. I also must say that I miss chapters in tutorial videos. There is an hour of teaching, which is wonderful in today's, "15 minute explanation" marketplace. I will also be joining Michael O'Briens'page to get his routine. It is a bargain at $1 a month!

Okay, so if you are looking for a "magician fooler," miracle gimmick, keep your $ in your wallet. I personally, have never understood the desire for effects that are "magicians foolers"because, I never made any $ off of magicians! (I could write an essay on "magician foolers.") Do you need this set, if you already have a good one? The answer is no, unless, of course, you want to do a clean display of the rings when the audience is directly in front of you. If you are looking for good routines and teaching along with a solid affordable set of rings, look no further. (I and many are others eagerly awaiting an expansion pack.)I recommend these, but then again, who the f__k am I!
Clemens Ilgner
View Profile
New user
Germany
34 Posts

Profile of Clemens Ilgner
Hi,

I also received my set a couple of days ago. As mentioned before they are well made and a beautiful set of small linking rings. I prefer the size to normal Ninja rings. The gap in the key is not sawed out, what means that the key ring is a little bigger than the other rings.
What I missed in most of the reviews is how safe this new modification in real life performance is. To be honest I think it will not work for strolling or close up performance with more than a handfull of viewers. The angles are just too risky. It will work fantastic for a one to one performance or online/zoom/video Magic. If you ask me how I can judge? I just came back from a session with Axel Hecklau who is probably Germanys expert in linking rings right now. We tried everything but only when you perform at eyelevel direct in front of the spectator it will work. In the online instructions you can see the same. In the full performance the camera changes from time to time. As soon as the camere films a little off center you can see the 'secret'.

All the best, Clemens
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
My review on these, are they worth the pricetag?

Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think they are. Excellent review as always! I have had many sets of rings in my years...I actually will USE these! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Melero Linking Rings from VI (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL