The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Fat Jokes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
As a rather fat magician I use a series of jokes about being fat, this seems to take away the problem that the audience has in looking at a fat man entertaining them If I mock myself a bit they all laugh and are releived this allows me to carry on with the magic.

Do any of you use comedy against yourselves to get the same effect. Also anyone have any good fat jokes Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I joke about stupid people and yes it works to use comedy against yourself.
I have endless fat jokes but not enough time to post them now. Stay tuned.
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
I am very ugly. So I make ugly jokes.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Don't do to many of them...as it can make audiences feel uncomfortable and it may even show you have a low self-esteem. But...if you use tasteful humor...then yes...it can ease up the moment.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Yes too many is bad and they need to be tasteful and funny I collect a lot so I can vary the ones I use

Fishsticks you don't look that ugly in your avtar Smile
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
There is a chapter about this in Judy Carter's "Stand-Up Comedy; The Book"

In Workshop #5 she talks about outer self. One tool she advises to you is mix and match negative traits with advantages or things you are proud of. That sets up the joke very easily. ex: "Yeah, I'm <insert negative trait here>, but it's great because <insert positive here for joke>.

It's a great book to pick up and every magician can benefit from studying stand-up comedy.

Also check out "Comedy Writing Step by Step" by Gene Perret.
MindMyst
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
32 Posts

Profile of MindMyst
Let me offer another title to the list...
"Comedy Writing Secrets" by Melvin Helitzer.

Both Perret's book, and Helitzer's book are always available at Barnes and Nobel. Judy Carter's book is excellent ... workbook style format, and I highly recommend it. I don't remember where I found it, though. Must be the CRS acting up again.

Just a note about adding some comedy to your routine... this is good. Comedy added to anything ( speeches, lectures, musical, or magical performances, etc. ) is probably the best decision anyone can make.
But, know this, writing comedy is a serious discipline. Working with it's principles will take considerable study time away from your magic. However, in the long run, the two studies will blend well and you'll be much the better for the time you take with it.

MM
The Truth Will Set Your Fee
http://mindmyst.blogspot.com/
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Thanks for the book ideas gents I think I will have a read of those!

Agree about tye positive negitive thing although a couple of my favourite lines start positive then end with the negative for instance I have the body of a god! ..... yep Buddah!
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
I have the body of Buddah...but hey ...I'm a god!
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I think it is fine to make fun of yourself as long as you don't go over the top. Just an occasionbal one-liner here or there to show the audience that you are a fun person who doesn't take themselves too seriously.

Dave
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 16:24, Stephen Barney wrote:
Fishsticks you don't look that ugly in your avtar Smile

Are you kidding?! Look at size of my ears! When I was a kid, other kids that were getting picked on used to hide from bullies behind them!
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

I ordered all three books from the uk amazon today so I look forward to a good read

Quote:
On 2004-06-17 11:12, Fishsticks wrote:

Are you kidding?! Look at size of my ears! When I was a kid, other kids that were getting picked on used to hide from bullies behind them!

Thats nothing when they hid behind me the lights went out some of them have never been seen again.

Funny thing though I never got bullied at school Smile
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
You think that's bad, look at me, with my wiskers and long ears, and what's with this hat that I'm always sitting in.

Anyway, My brother and I work together in our show. We joke back and forth about how he's the fat one and I'm the dumb one. It's a lot of fun and the kids love it.
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

That would be funnier if you were the fat one and claimed to be the dumber one Smile

You can start to play with the innuendo that thin is dumb
duckster
View Profile
New user
Texas
76 Posts

Profile of duckster
Hey Fat jokes about the person making them is always a no brainer and Stephen Barney, you are very smart for doing that. I don't like to see overwieght magicians act like they are David Copperfield. Who are they fooling? I am not going to say any names - but I could mention a few that everybody knows.

Furthur more, self depricating fat jokes put the audience at ease and the fat performer becomes very likeable. I love the old fat joke...

Fat guy: "should get our from behind this Mic stand so you can see me better?"
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Or a joke about how much slimer and more handsome I am than Guy Hollingworth Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-06-19 16:15, Daniel J. Ferrara Jr. wrote:
You think that's bad, look at me, with my wiskers and long ears, and what's with this hat that I'm always sitting in.

Anyway, My brother and I work together in our show. We joke back and forth about how he's the fat one and I'm the dumb one. It's a lot of fun and the kids love it.

Not to mention, you seem to be a mere shadow of your former self.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Smudge
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Smudge
The one I like is...you get sympathy then the sucker line to finish.

I got this fat through a car accident,

I swallowed an airbag.

On a slightly different theme, my friend who is rather big had a nasty heckler call him a fat @!&*> while he was on stage and he came back with one of the best put downs I've ever heard. he said "I'm fat because every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a pie." the heckler just sat down and never said another word. and the audience cheered.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2004-06-25 21:05, Smudge wrote:

I swallowed an airbag.

On a slightly different theme, my friend who is rather big had a nasty heckler call him a fat @!&*> while he was on stage and he came back with one of the best put downs I've ever heard. he said "I'm fat because every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a pie." the heckler just sat down and never said another word. and the audience cheered.

LOL!!
they are GREEEEEEEAT
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-06-25 21:05, Smudge wrote:

I swallowed an airbag.

I'd kinda like to paraphrase Winston Churchill; "I'm fat, you're stupid and ugly, I can always lose weight!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Fat Jokes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL