The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Copperfield's History of Magic Book (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
dking66
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of dking66
If you will look at the Premiere Collectibles version, it is a completely different autograph than the BN and Talk Shop Live versions. Something is not right. I agree that I don’t believe DC would want to lose credibility, but I sure would like to know why the different versions of autographs, and if they are all in fact authentic. Thanks for the input.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
865 Posts

Profile of dman11
Yea, it changes a lot...look up any images of his autographs and its different a lot. The one I got with talk shop looks like a combination of different autographs of his,lol

I feel like maybe it changes depending on his position....standing/ sitting/in a rush etc....
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of tgold65
First, on the autographs. My partner is an author of two NY Times non-fiction best sellers and here is the process for how the pages get signed. The publisher sends a box of title pages for the author to sign. It is just title pages, not actual books. In her case, she received 5000 pages she had to sign. The author then sits down with a pen or a sharpie, and starts signing. This takes many hours over many days. In her case, she signs her first initial and last name, which is 7 letters total. Plus, she is a physician, so everyone expects her signature to look like crap ( and it does!).

David Copperfield has 16 letters in his name. So that is already 2x the work vs my partner. Plus, her name is simpler and easier to write. So cut the dude a break on the fact that his signature varies. Of course it does!

That said, the book for me is both wonderful and awful all at the same time. I find the information included to be incredibly interesting. But very often, his explanations are not well written or detailed enough. I am not talking about explanation of tricks. I didn't anticipate getting any explanation of tricks. It is just that there are instances where as a reader, I find his story telling to be incomplete, leaving out details in his stories that would make events clearer. A good ghost writer would have helped as I think David actually wrote this himself.

Secondly, I know that these items are in David's museum. I don't need to be reminded of that in every chapter. I get it David. You bought some item of magical importance and put it in your museum. You are !@#$%^& David Copperfield, we are reading your book! Just say it once at the beginning, remind us once in the middle and then again at the end. But I am on page 30 and you have commented on every single item being in your museum. So while this is irritating, the content of the book is wonderful.

Overall, as a magician, I love this book. However, as a reader, and someone who copy edits my partners writing (which is medical non-fiction for lay people) the writing and story telling leave much to be desired.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1157 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Steve Grad, the lead signature authenticator for Beckett Authentication Services (BAS), publicly called out Talkshop Live back in early November regarding the signatures in Copperfield's new book. Grad is claiming the Talkshop Live books with signatures were written with an auto pen and, thus, are fake signatures. Grad's comments can be found in this Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Steve_Grad/status/1458862947480981508

A little later:

https://twitter.com/Steve_Grad/status/1458864797278097421

Some of these alleged "auto pen" versions were reportedly sold as "signed" at Barnes & Noble too.

It looks like the only way to get a copy that was actually signed with David Copperfield's hand is to get a signed copy from Premiere Collectibles.

Glad I didn't fall for this and went with the unsigned B&N version with the extra (but very brief) chapter on Orson Welles.

Mark
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I got a "signed" version for $8 on ebay with shipping included. Many bargain-priced copies of this book are available now.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I reviewed this back when it first came out - hope it helps some people to get a sneak peak and decide if it's something they want in their library:

https://youtu.be/RgS3R3GNc1w
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
348 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Lots of debate about signatures and the signing process, relatively little discussion of the actual contents. Not a great sign. As a trawl through a rich bloke's personal magic collection, could it be this title is a little self-indulgent? "Look at all the great stuff I own"? I suppose by virtue of the items Copperfield has been able to accrue there will inevitably be sections of interest.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1380 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Same autopen scandal now with Bob Dylan "signed edition" books -- though these ones cost $600:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/arts/......ure.html
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
303 Posts

Profile of TomB
I got the book. I only spent like 5 minutes skimming thru it. Seemed like a high school kid wrote a book on the who is who in magic. I didn't see anything a magician wouldnt know. The pictures looked good. Once you read Jim Steinmeyer its pretty hard to read these high level magic books. You might as well read a wiki article.

For young person that doesn't know the important magicians its a good introduction. For any magician worth his weight in salt, its snoozer. If I ever was invited to get a tour of his museum, I would read the book cover to cover to appreciate the tour more
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
745 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Right now, a used copy is about $4 in Amazon.

BTW - did you hear what happened with the B. Dylan books?
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Copperfield's History of Magic Book (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL