The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Making Bizarre Dark - actually Dark (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Damian1031
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Damian1031
I am interested in pushing the boundaries of what a bizarre magic show is - to a level of darkness that has nothing to do with werewolves, or vampires or books that let you "read minds" - but truly disturbing pieces

The idea of "The terrifying object" - pieces that don't offer a magic "trick" but do offer a moment of utter fear with the spectator - SP's The Underneath accomplishes this wonderfully -

Or a book test that has zero mind reading - but delivers a message to the spectator, much like what is supposed to happen with the "Red Book" game

My current show I am putting together has 1 "magic" moment to end it and it is designed to not feel like a magic moment at all - Does anyone else here have similar thinking about presenting bizarre?
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Bobby's r1tual, another truly disturbing piece......
Damian1031
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Damian1031
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, Merlinsmagic wrote:

Yes- R1tual is one of the finest bizarre props ever made. It can be downright terrifying. It's honestly a perfect piece.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2021, Damian1031 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, Merlinsmagic wrote:

Yes- R1tual is one of the finest bizarre props ever made. It can be downright terrifying. It's honestly a perfect piece.

Yes, its perfect because you play it as like what it's mirrored after & the folklore taboo of playing with it that's attached to them make R1tual just real as all hell !
Spectators imagination & fears do the rest 😁
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, Damian1031 wrote:
I am interested in pushing the boundaries of what a bizarre magic show is - to a level of darkness that has nothing to do with werewolves, or vampires or books that let you "read minds" - but truly disturbing pieces

The idea of "The terrifying object" - pieces that don't offer a magic "trick" but do offer a moment of utter fear with the spectator - SP's The Underneath accomplishes this wonderfully -

Or a book test that has zero mind reading - but delivers a message to the spectator, much like what is supposed to happen with the "Red Book" game

That boundary can be pushed with almost any bizarre prop given the proper audience and presentation. One of the problems I think is presented in doing so is offering the effect exactly as it is written by the creator instead of creating a situation that could actually apply to your audience specifically which is a lot of fun but also a lot of work.

For example, A few years ago another magician and I performed an online drama where he had received a doll that seemed to be haunted. I used the ASH book test,which had a drawing of a doll in it and together we crafted a drama of terror and concern to the point we had to expose it to the players because they were going to report it to the police, especially after we introduced the life-sized Raggedy Ann and Andy doll into the picture playing a guitar.

You just have to think darkly outside the box.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Making Bizarre Dark - actually Dark (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL