The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz's Ultimate Interchange (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I have a question that perhaps some of you Ortiz fans can shed some light on. I have done research here at the Café and created a list of people's favorite Darwin Ortiz effects found in his three books: At the Card Table, Cardshark, and Scams and Fantasies. In all, I found that 59 different effects were mentioned, although not with the same frequency. Some effects are much more popular than others. What surprised me was that the Ultimate Interchange (p. 153 ATCT) was NEVER mentioned among the 59 named effects. I've been busting my ass working on this but now I am wondering if it is worth it.

Can any of you Ortizophiles tell me what is wrong, uninteresting or not impactful with this trick? I am limited in choosing which of his effects to do because I do not use gaffed decks, trick cards, faro shuffles or involved deck preparation. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
What does Ortiz say about the effect in the book?
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
He says it is non-stop technique which is like walking a tightrope, but in the end "pays rich dividends." Interestingly, he says it is one of "the very strongest effects in my repertoire," and he sometimes uses it to close his act.

Ortiz seems to think it is a really good effect, but no one who posted their favorite Ortiz effect listed the Ultimate Interchange. I think I found a typo which affected the results but I worked around it. But this cannot be so serious as to throw this trick under the bus.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If Ortiz says it is one of the strongest effects in his repertoire- it is.
Whether other magicians list it as a favourite is irrelevant.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4997 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Video: Darwin Ortiz - Ultimate Interchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUBAVu24Xo

Great effect, sure.
Maximilien
View Profile
New user
Paris (France)
41 Posts

Profile of Maximilien
Also, consider the fact that Darwin Ortiz did not perform this effect on any of his video or DVD sets. Therefore the trick is burried in Darwin Ortiz at the card table, and one must read a long description to know what the effect is and follow cards in hands to see the big picture. I guess this is one of the reasons it stayed under the radar of most cardmen.
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
847 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, Maximilien wrote:
Also, consider the fact that Darwin Ortiz did not perform this effect on any of his video or DVD sets. Therefore the trick is burried in Darwin Ortiz at the card table, and one must read a long description to know what the effect is and follow cards in hands to see the big picture. I guess this is one of the reasons it stayed under the radar of most cardmen.


I think this is spot on. Some don't read books anymore so for them it would be invisible. And besides, and I want this to come out the right way, don't follow the crowd. If an effect appeals to you, that's all that matters.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, Maximilien wrote:
Also, consider the fact that Darwin Ortiz did not perform this effect on any of his video or DVD sets. Therefore the trick is burried in Darwin Ortiz at the card table, and one must read a long description to know what the effect is and follow cards in hands to see the big picture. I guess this is one of the reasons it stayed under the radar of most cardmen.


Agreed. I did not realize this until after my posts.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Right on, Tortuga. I am still moving forward with this trick. FYI, the most cited effects on my list were, in order, Psychotronic Card, New Modern Jazz Aces, Old and New versions of Hitchcock Aces, and Dream Card. Several others also received a good number of votes
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, Kjellstrom wrote:
Video: Darwin Ortiz - Ultimate Interchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUBAVu24Xo

Great effect, sure.


Thanks very much. Great visual, although my Italian is nonexistent.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, TeddyBoy wrote:
Right on, Tortuga. I am still moving forward with this trick. FYI, the most cited effects on my list were, in order, Psychotronic Card, New Modern Jazz Aces, Old and New versions of Hitchcock Aces, and Dream Card. Several others also received a good number of votes

Interesting. My votes would be New Tens Routine, Do as I Did, Any Ace Spell Variation.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
New Tens Routine and Do As I Did did quite well also, just not in the first tier of the contributors' opinions.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
I had a email conversation with Darwin about some of his effects 1,5-2 years ago and he mentioned that he no longer performed the Ultimate interchange. I don't remember why though, he gave his reasoning but I just cant remember What it was.If I remember correctly he wrote that he still performs about 90 % of the effects from his books.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1372 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thanx to all for this fascinating thread! I noticed Darwin used to post (and resoond to pm's) in the Café until last year. Hopefully he will renew his interest with this conversation. Lynn
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I just PM'd Darwin without much expectation of a response.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
He is a true gentleman, I have had pm and email conversations with him many times and he has always responded. Don't expect an answer right away though, sometimes it can take weeks. In my experience he is always friendly and helpful.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
480 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you Jerry.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
Quote:
On May 8, 2021, TeddyBoy wrote:
Thank you Jerry.


Your welcome. Good luck. -:)
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1248 Posts

Profile of Medifro
I’ve had a similar feeling when I read the book, as it’s a trick I haven’t seen spoken about anywhere. I personally like it. I use the cover pass cut (Jerry Sadowitz) for the last phase. I personally like the premise and the trick is a good way to demonstrate it if you have 2 decks in play.
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Quote:
On May 2, 2021, Jerry Danes wrote:
I had a email conversation with Darwin about some of his effects 1,5-2 years ago and he mentioned that he no longer performed the Ultimate interchange. I don't remember why though, he gave his reasoning but I just cant remember What it was.If I remember correctly he wrote that he still performs about 90 % of the effects from his books.


Hi,

I'd be really grateful if you could find out why he stopped performing it. When I first saw a YouTube performance of the trick, I thought the overall structure must be obvious to a lay audience. In Designing Miracles, Mr. Ortiz criticises many ace productions following Collins Aces for a similar reason. So I was surprised he used this trick as a closer.

Granted, the changes are clean, beautiful, and it's climax after climax. But, from my POV, I fail to see how this would create a lasting mystery (unlike Ortiz's Wild Card, for example).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz's Ultimate Interchange (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL