The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cultural Animation (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Some time ago, my colleagues and I were awarded a grant for an unusual project we call 'I Am My Dignity,' which is aimed to develop and empower women in post conflict societies through enhancing what we call their 'moral capabilities.'

Our approach uses the ideas of 'cultural co-production' and 'cultural animation,' both of which are inter-active and inter-relational research methods that collect data through games and play.

My role in the project has been to develop how performance magic supports that main themes of the project, since we see magic as a means of communicating big ideas for understanding the human condition.

This weekend I recorded six videos alone and with a small (socially distanced and outside) audience. Three videos are for 'training the trainers' who will use cultural animation across a series of workshops initially in The Philippines. Three videos are for the field research app used to inform our workshop participants and to administer 'before' and 'after' surveys to capture their learning experience.

The challenge for these app videos has been that none can be more that three minutes long, while the training videos can be longer.

It was a fun and engaging challenge, where I wove in bizarre themes, performed close up magic, and did mentalism in ways that addressed the following themes:

1. The role of the Cultural Animateur (understood as the 'trickster'), where I framed the performance through the Magician tarot card.
2. The importance of Disruption, illustrated with more traditional conjuring.
3. The importance of Questioning (my examples were 'What if we could defy gravity?' and 'What if we could read minds?)
4. The role of choice in everyday life
5. The importance of names and identity
6. The importance of social context

For more about the project, see:

https://mcatnottingham.org/

https://mcatnottingham.org/toolkit/magic/

The site will be updated as the field work progresses, and the finale will be a live theatre show in the summer.

Best wishes

Todd
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Dr Todd, you always have interesting projects. Congratulation for receiving this grant. It is harder and harder to finance projects, well done.
Magic can be such an amazing and powerful tool to express ideas, it fits very well with your aims. Please keep us updated on your progress.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, Dr SH wrote:
Dr Todd, you always have interesting projects. Congratulation for receiving this grant. It is harder and harder to finance projects, well done.
Magic can be such an amazing and powerful tool to express ideas, it fits very well with your aims. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Many thanks Dr SH! We deploy our tools in the field over the next couple of months and then analyse what we have learned, so I will update you here.

Best wishes

Dr Todd
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I had an amazing interview yesterday with a civil society leader from Malaysia on her use of theatre and performance for advancing human rights. I have crafted a short blog on how performance, and especially performance magic is used and can be used for this purpose:

https://www.todd-landman.com/performance-for-good/

I know that Will Houstoun's Breathe project.

Best wishes

Dr Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cultural Animation (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL