The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The double lift (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
One, learn how to do a strike double. Many card workers do not bend the corner down with their pinky when they are holding a break, which gives it that suspicious slope thingy. This doesn't look normal in the least. Secondly, DON'T do fancy DLs, like "Blainesters" do. If someone were to turn over the top card, would they really turn it over in that flourishy way? Make your moves and your effects as simple as possible, for this is not only the secret to making good magic, but it is essential to making great magic.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Hi!
Okay the problem most people have with double lifts is their presentation. A magician once told me "try practicing the same motion you would do with a double lift first with one card, then do it with two cards. Both motions should be the same".. this really helped!
Another is, try practicing infront of a mirror.You will see your glitches there. Another is tilt the deck slighty to the side where you pick up your card. Perform this sleight as if your flipping only one card. The more smooth your moves are, the less people pay attention to your moves. ACT CASUAL, BE LOOSE.
And yes, practice is necessary.
There is no perfect double lift that goes smoothly to all people. Take the Magician Daryl-he knows a couple of double lifts but he prefers Larry Jennings Double lift. Brad Christian too from ellusionist knows a lot but he uses "his own" Solid Double lift. Oz Pearlman I think uses the standard double lift. Double lifts vary on a person's handling with cards so I suggest that you try various lifts and find the one that suits you. As for me, I devised my own strike double lift (similar to Blaine's but better) with no breaks where the card I flip over goes diagonal to the deck then I rest it vertical on top.Keep practicing. You'll get it!
GOOD LUCK!
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I always practise moves until I can fool myself completely. As many experienced performers said above, DL is not an easy or simple move. The more experienced one is, the more he should take his 'basic' sleights seriously.

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I hear a lot that you should do your double like a lay person would do a single

Thats rubbish

Your a magician, they know you have a degree of skill that they don't know matter how much you disguise it.

I think as long as you keep your singles and doubles the same that should be sufficent.

By the way I like the ' Larry jennings Snap double' from 'The classic magic of Larry jennings'

I think its also the method favoured by Daryl.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
It's been hinted at previously, but rather than turning your double like you turn a single....turn your single like you do your double.

Also, and this is a little magic mumbo jumbo, but when you show the double, you need to believe that it's a single if you want them to believe that it's a single.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I don't like the snap double at all. Thumb counting is a bad as it gets. I don't care that Daryl (God bless him)uses this sleight, it is not for me.

A good turnover is the Ron Bauer double, which borrows from several sources.

You can read his description of the real Vernon turnover in his manuscript, "The Mechanical Deck", which is also recommended by Paul Chosse.
Drive Carefully
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I don't count two cards on the snap double. After a lot of practice, it's less of a count it's more of a two card lift with the thumb. But that's come from practice.

Plus know one knows what your gonna do and don't pay attention to the count, it's only two cards, not eight.

Cheers
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
177 Posts

Profile of natswift
I agree with many of you that say the DL is not a simple move. Yes it is easy to learn in concept, but in practice it takes well practice.
I usually use the stike DL. The key to using the D.L. I believe is in routining. I don't remember where I read it, but someone said, " when performing any sleight or move, you shouldn't have to worry about detection for the audience should never even suspect it."
I am always trying to perfect my DL, just like my classic palm. They will never be perfect, but can always be improved.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
One way to keep both cards aligned is never to turn them over.

Instead, just outjog both cards an inch or so, then turn over the deck and show the card(s). Push them flush with your forefinger and your done. This is also a very good way to do a triple.

tdaube
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
Dan Turcotte has an excellent tutorial on the strike double lift downloadable at http://www.youdomagic.com. The lesson consists of a 5 page pdf document and a 3.5 minute video. Like Dan's other downoads, the explanations are very clear and precise.
Dan is also great to deal with, responding very quickly to e-mailed queries, and providing qualty products.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

If you still have problems, try searching for the following double lifts. These are the best I've seen so far:
-Standard Double Lift (very simple yet deceptive)
-Push-Off Double Lift (a killer move)
-Solid Double Lift (cards are 95% squared all the time)
-Snap Double Lift (a pretty nice move but needs much practice)
-Strike Double Lift (a very convincing one)
-Push Forward Double Lift (a very easy one)
-Blaine's Double Lift (a strike DL that looks too flourishy)

Most of the DL's posted here could be found at ellusionist.com's Ninja-2 video and Crash Course-1 video.

enjoy!
Michael G
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Michael G
Hey guys,

I was browsing through some of my Dover reprints the other day and came across (what I think) is a great handling of a double lift in Card Manipulations. Looks natural, the card is displayed on top of the deck help by the left hand, and here's the kicker, if you perform it properly, you don't need to put the double back on the deck, and then deal the top card. The double DOES get turned over, but you never release your grip on the top card! Check it out if you have the book, i'ts a DL I'm focusing on in my practice. Have fun!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I use the double lift out of the Card Magic Of LePaul by Paul LePaul. Also it may be a good idea to turn over a single card the same way you do a double lift. That way they look the same.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
TerryLam
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TerryLam
I do a normal double turn over with a break. I pay attention to two points:
a. I try to do a push motion with my left thumb while I turn over the double (As well as for single). I think it is suspicious if your left thumb is motionless.
b. I move my right fingers to the right side of the cards instead of holding them at the right inner corner before I do the turn over. I think laypeople usually don't hold the card at right inner corner when they turn over a card.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I do a strike double and I have never had a layperson question it. I do it quick, but not in a hurried manner.

I have questions. I never do a "lift". I always do a turn over. Am I missing something? Are most of you here talking about the lift or the turn over? I find a convincing lift is harder than the turn over.
Chris
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

If double lifts aren't your thing, try doing a Jack Merlin Tip Over Change to load a card or the James/Ellis Loading Move. I use either in my tricks involving double lifts. ..just a suggestion...
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
The Double Lift, AKA Two Card Turnover Technique:

The situation should dictate the technique you select. I do a card trick in which I use Marlos' one handed DL technique. It allows you to push off, in perfect alignment, two cards as one, with one hand.

In this trick I'm talking about it is important that there be no attention on the card/cards I am picking up from the deck. The fact that I pay ANY attention at all to the card/cards I am moving/picking up is a tell. I need to have the double pushed off the deck and ready for me to pick up with my right hand when it returns to the deck.

If I use the Vernon DL I have to focus attention on the Card/Cards and the deck by the very nature of the actions required to do the lift. So, although the Vernon DL is beautiful in some instances, it would actually be detrimental in this case. It would focus attention where I least want it, when I least want it.

The Marlo Technique serves my purposes perfectly here, and so it is the move of choice. In other cases the Marlo technique is too fussy, and draws attention to itself by the nature of its fussiness, where the Vernon handling is loose and fluid, and works beautifully.

This is hard to explain, but if you could see the moves in context you would understand instantly. Ask anyone who has seen me do a trick called "The Will 'O the Wisp". They will answer you by saying...

"Double lift, what double lift? That's how he does that trick?"

...unless I have taught them the trick. The reason is that they never see the DL. I know because dozens of MAGICIANS have asked me, as recently as tonight, how I do that trick. The fact is that there are only two slieghts in the entire trick, and one is the DL, which ALWAYS goes right by.

My point is that situations should dictate the best DL technique to use, not vice-versa. I have several techiques that I use consistently. They are the Vernon DL, the Marlo technique I just alluded to, and Ron Bauers' "Two Card Turnover Technique", which appeared in Charlie Miller's Magicana back in the 1980's. I have used the D'Amico one handed Double, as well as the LePaul DL, from time to time, but the three I first mentioned, along with Jack McMillen's technique from Expert Card Technique are my favored methods. Hope this helps...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Hey,
Just try to do your DL on an off beat. Just kind of patter while you do it and just perform it. Many of you might disagree but I believe one of the best Dl's I have ever seen is David Blaine's. It is just amazing. He does this little spinny thingy where you would swear that there is only one card. I think someone needs to make a video just on all teh different types of double lifts. I would sure buy it. This is just my opinion. O yah. YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE!!! Have fun practicing!
Trulymagic
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I'm not sure what the name of this is but I sometimes riffle down two cards with my left thumb and then push the two off as one. I guess it's a simpler version of the push off double lift which I can't do. Just make sure that people think you only riffled one card.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I believe that the strike double is not a natural way to turn the cards over, unless the left thumb somehow goes along for the ride. I can site several famous working pros who use this type of double, so for layman I guess it's fine.

Dai Vernon hated the strike double.
Drive Carefully
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The double lift (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL