The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Reference Guide to Early Works on Card Cheating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
For those that are interested in the historical side of card cheating, I've just released an ebook called The Reference Guide to Early Works on Card Cheating, in which focuses on pre-1900 works in English. The aim being to compile a list of publications and which card cheating techniques they describe, that can then be used a reference text. More information is available here.

The ebook is available from lybrary.com.

(It was during the research for this book that I came across Annals of Gaming)

Quote:
This book presents an analytical review of works on card cheating that are written in English and published before 1900. Given this scope, The Reference Guide to Early Works on Card Cheating takes 151 publications, and documents the card cheating techniques that they describe. Only card techniques discussed in the context of cheating at card games are considered. The 146 defined techniques are used to evaluate the publications based on their breadth and their contribution to the literature. The breadth is indicated by the absolute number of techniques each work describes, and the contribution is measured by the number of techniques that appear for the first time in the pre-1900 English literature. The intention is for this book to provide a reference text to those interested in the history of card cheating.

I should also note that the scope is limited to card cheating techniques that are discussed in the context of the card table; for example, moves that could be used at the card table, but are described as the method for a magic trick, were omitted.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you.

There is a bit about Victorian gambling at this site

http://www.victorianlondon.org/index-2012.htm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
Hey Tom,

I always liked you work but I am taking the time to write a quick word here because I think your The Reference Guide to Early Works on Card Cheating is awesome! Great work!

Cheers,

Slim
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Hi Slim,

Thanks for the feedback; it's really appreciated Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Reference Guide to Early Works on Card Cheating (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL